Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am new here! My wife and I just purchased a new 2019 pilot 3 days ago. It had 198 miles on it. We drove it home and then to the grocery store and that’s it. Less than 50 miles! When she got home from the store she commented to me that she could not get the radio and infotainment system to go off. I didn’t think much of it at the time until we tried to go somewhere. The car started fine but will not go in gear! We cannot get it out of the garage! All sorts of problem alarms are going off on the dash. The speedometer reads 11 mph at idle in the garage! So when you try to shift it tells you to please stop the car. So the car seems to think it’s moving! I’m attaching a video as well.

the dealership is supposed to send a flatbed this morning to get the car. I don’t have much confidence in dealership service honesty due to several bad experiences with Honda service in the past!
I’m curious if anyone has seen this before and knows what could be causing it! Is it a serious issue where we should be pushing for another vehicle or our money back? I also read there was a class action lawsuit against Honda for 2019 Honda pilots because of defective infotainment centers!

thanks for your time!

Honda Pilot problem video

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
Great Video. Confess I laughed at the MPH you were doing while sitting in your garage. I've been out test driving cars recently and they all had signs of low battery. IE they need to be driven. Two wouldn't shut the engine off at traffic lights due to low charge.

Hopefully all your car needs is a good drive. Too many cars have sat on dealer lots and manufacturers shipping yards for too long draining their batteries. .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah the dealership mentioned battery on the phone. I did a load test and the battery was pushing 12.35 volts. I know that’s a little low considering new batteries tend to read around 13, but I can’t imagine I’d get these issues with it still being in the 12 range. But then again these new cars are so electronic dependent ! I would think there would be a low voltage indicator for that though!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
Gosh I'm sorry you're already having problems with your car! I recommend disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and possibly charging it. Hopefully it's just been sitting for a while and that's what is wrong with it. I hope the dealership makes this right and you can enjoy your new car soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the quick responses. It did occur to me to charge the battery last night but I opted to let the dealership handle it since the car is so new. I didn’t want to do anything to give them a reason to give me the runaround if it did turn out to be something other than the battery! I normally do all my repair works myself but I shouldn’t need to be doing any to a new car yet!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
Thank you for the quick responses. It did occur to me to charge the battery last night but I opted to let the dealership handle it since the car is so new. I didn’t want to do anything to give them a reason to give me the runaround if it did turn out to be something other than the battery! I normally do all my repair works myself but I shouldn’t need to be doing any to a new car yet!
A quick question, what trim level is the car? EX-L, Touring, etc. I know the upper level trims had some issues regarding electronics so be aware of that as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A quick question, what trim level is the car? EX-L, Touring, etc. I know the upper level trims had some issues regarding electronics so be aware of that as well.
It is the touring! Sorry I forgot to include that.

update! The sales manager just left our house. Apparently they unplugged the transmission computer and replugged it in. That fixed the problem. For now anyways. They were able to put it in gear and drive it after that.

My fear is that it will return again in the future though perhaps leaving my wife and kids stranded somewhere!

They are however taking it in to the service center to look it over! They claim they have never seen this before And want to look more into it!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd guess it's the battery too. For some reason Pilot is very sensitive on battery going low. Few days ago, I charged the battery to full. In the evening, I kept ACC mode for about 20 min (not turned on) to load MP3. When I returned, the screen shows low battery. Mine is 2019 less than 3000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts