Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I am scooting forward at a stop light with the brakes lightly applied, the car kind of wobbles forward like the pads are unevenly worn. When slowing down on the highway, I get a big wobble similar to warped rotors. The rotors are only 30,000 miles old so I can't imagine they'd already be warped. If I were to just replace the pads, how do I ensure the pads don't do the same thing? Just inspect the slide pins and boots and maybe add a little grease? Any insight is appreciated. I try to ignore it but it gets pretty irritating.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,237 Posts
You may think this is overkill, but all my braking woes went away when I installed this Centric kit from Rockauto. Sure, it's a good chunk of change, but the joy it has brought me has been well worth it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It depends on the way you brake, job not done correctly, or defected products. Sounds like your rotors are warped. Check the caliper and piston for defects, replace the pads and rotors, replace the brake fluid, re-grease the slide pins and boots.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may think this is overkill, but all my braking woes went away when I installed this Centric kit from Rockauto. Sure, it's a good chunk of change, but the joy it has brought me has been well worth it.

Hmm...I have heard really good things about this kit. It even seems decently priced for a full brake job. If I hadn't just done the rear pads and rotors I'd jump right on it. But I guess I could buy the front axle only. Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends on the way you brake, job not done correctly, or defected products. Sounds like your rotors are warped. Check the caliper and piston for defects, replace the pads and rotors, replace the brake fluid, re-grease the slide pins and boots.
If the rotors are warped, is it evident even at slow speeds (like moving forward at a stop light with the brake applied)? I guess I'll just take everything apart and inspect everything. Thank you!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Whenever I am scooting forward at a stop light with the brakes lightly applied, the car kind of wobbles forward like the pads are unevenly worn. When slowing down on the highway, I get a big wobble similar to warped rotors. The rotors are only 30,000 miles old so I can't imagine they'd already be warped. If I were to just replace the pads, how do I ensure the pads don't do the same thing? Just inspect the slide pins and boots and maybe add a little grease? Any insight is appreciated. I try to ignore it but it gets pretty irritating.
The rotors may be warped, or you may have hot spots on the rotors. If you get the pads really heated up, for example on a long downhill grade, and then you come to a full stop at a red light with brakes applied for a time, the hot pads create hardened areas that cause uneven grabbing of the brakes. Either way, you are likely to need new rotors.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rotors may be warped, or you may have hot spots on the rotors. If you get the pads really heated up, for example on a long downhill grade, and then you come to a full stop at a red light with brakes applied for a time, the hot pads create hardened areas that cause uneven grabbing of the brakes. Either way, you are likely to need new rotors.
ah ok that makes sense. I guess I'll add that to my to do list.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

This is the kit I've used on every vehicle but one... guess which one I'm having noisy brakes on right now?

Reactions: Jack Vogt
1 - 9 of 9 Posts