Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just paid a grand for new tires on my 2007 pilot. Grabber tires.
Now they want $2100.00 for complete brake job, calipers, pads , rotors, whole 9 yards. Is this crazy? Can I do this myself egads I think I’m gonna learn.
what’s average cost of complete brake job nowadays?
As far as tires I got road hazard warranty but otherwise nothing special. They even charged me shipping for the tires because they didn’t have them in stock. IDk am I just a grouchy old man now? Or this the way it is nowadays?
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
While we're waiting, the Grabber tires would have been about $500 from TireRack, with free shipping.
Add another $100 for mounting and balancing.

As for brake jobs, go watch some of the YouTube videos posted by South Main Auto.
See if it looks like a task you think you could handle.

Figure on at least $400 in parts cost for a DIY brake job with new pads, rotors and calipers.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,407 Posts
Why do they think you need a complete redo of the brake system?

Do YOU think you need new brakes? Get a second opinion first.

As far as the tires go, I think it’s odd that they would charge you shipping, but $1k for tires and road hazard isn’t outrageous assuming you got some decent tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
“They” is local tire shop in my town. Rather not name names, just feel like I was ripped off. I don’t know if I need brakes, first I heard of it. He said he didn’t know if I needed calipers or not till he got in there. If parts are only $400 then how do you get to $2100? Ah boy guess I need to watch a lot of videos on brake replacement. But where the hell do I get the time???

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
I don’t know if I need brakes, first I heard of it. He said he didn’t know if I needed calipers or not till he got in there. If parts are only $400 then how do you get to $2100?
$400 is for good quality aftermarket parts at the prices you can buy them online.
The shop might double those prices.
The list price for OEM parts at a Honda dealer could be close to $2K.
The the shop has to then add on their labor charges.
The shop should provide you with a written estimate detailing the specific parts to be used and the labor charges.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,264 Posts
Get this Centric set for under 200 bucks (I still love them after almost three years; much better than OEM) and if you don't do them yourself, find a reasonably competent garage to install them for you at maybe 2 hours maximum shop time. Installing brakes and rotors isn't exactly rocket science; they just have to be reasonably competent and not profiteers like your $2100 place. You'll have great brakes once and for all, the happy feeling you didn't get taken to the cleaners, and more than enough saved to treat your good woman to a dinner at a restaurant with real tablecloths.

More Information for CENTRIC 90640061

Oh and save another 5% just for being a Piloteer.

5% Discount Code: 61F8C3AFDC21E1
Expires: May 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Get this Centric set for under 200 bucks (I still love them after almost three years; much better than OEM) and if you don't do them yourself, find a reasonably competent garage to install them for you at maybe 2 hours maximum shop time.
Easy to say "under 200 bucks" when you neglect to include the price of calipers.

·
Registered
9,264 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
249 Posts
The places that perform “free brake inspections” will almost 100% of the time will use it as an opportunity to upsell a customer, and convince them they need all new brakes. Get a second opinion!

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
Lots of choices for calipers as separate items on RA, if needed, along with the Centric pad and rotor set.

2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Caliper | RockAuto

The Powerstops, which a lot of people like as well, are offered in a kit with calipers for convenience, if you have to do your calipers together at the same time.

And still cheaper than $2100.

But if I were he, I'd get a couple more opinions from trustworthy shops before opening up my wallet for all new calipers. It can happen that they're needed, but on several lower orders of probability. Did he get an explanation for why he'd need them? Even if they are binding or otherwise problematic, there are several much less expensive potential solutions to look at first, like properly lubricating the sliding pins or whatnot.

There is a chance they're being straight with him, but the laws of probability make it smell more like an upsell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts