Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice that after going through deep snow that covers the wheels, your brakes have to be pumped a few times before they work? I had this happen to me a few times since we got the snow yesterday.

My guess is that the snow is getting between the brakes and the wheel and you need to clear that snow out of there by braking a few times before the brakes kick in and start working.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Sounds logical... same thing occurs when you drive through a deep puddle of H2O and your brakes may not be as responsive due to the mositure on the brake pads...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Always lightly brake after going through deep snow or water to dry off those brakes!:eek:

"Slippery when wet!!"

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The wheels on EX are snow and ice collectors. Braking a couple of times won't clear them out. If you go through deep snow or even slush you have to stop and clean them to be certain that there is nothing stuck to the wheel or the brakes. I drove back from Barrie, Ontario one night down the 400 and experienced what I thought was the dreaded vibration that everyone talks about. When I stopped at a restaurant I cleaned out all 4 wheels and was astounded by the amount of ice that had collected in a ring around the inside of the wheels. I have had other vehicles with alloy wheels and disk brakes but none collected ice and snow like this. After I cleaned out the ice from the wheels I reached my fingers inside to the back side of the brake rotors and discovered .. more ice. If I hadn't reached behind the rotors I wouldn't have discovered the ice. After cleaning the wheels and the rotors the vibration was gone.

BTW: Today I was at a funeral up near Midland Ontario, lots of snow, and noticed something interesting. The funeral procession had stopped in front of the church and there were 4 vans in the procession, one of which was on ODY. All 4 vans had driven the same route to the church but the ODY was the only one that had collected so much snow and slush in it's wheelwells that the snow was rubbing on the tires. I know that all of the vans were clean when they left for the church and I also know that none of the drivers kicked the snow out of their wheelwells when they got to the church. I wonder why the ODY collects so much more snow that the others??:confused:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I went driving down a road last night that had about 22inches of snow on it. I made it through ok, better than I expected. Then we got through it wasn't to far from my house so when I turned off my pilot there was a lot of snow still underneath. I cleaned out the wheel wells a little and wiped off the bumper/fog lights.

Well this morning I went to back down my driveway (I have a steep driveway). I think my brakes must of been totally covered in ice. They did stop me but it took a second and when it did it was a very sudden grab. Next time I think I'll drive around a bit more after I go gallivanting in deep snow to get all the moisture off the pads.

Driving in snow is so much fun, plus it scares the fiance a bit! :jump3:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Scoobs said:
The wheels on EX are snow and ice collectors . . . and experienced what I thought was the dreaded vibration that everyone talks about.
I had similar vibration going 55 - 60 mph after driving in the deep snow and slush. I didn't stop to clean the wheels, but it took about 30 min for the snow to clear itself out and smooth out the ride.

Also, I was testing the Pilot in some nice deep snow drifts after our record blizzard here last weekend. In one of the drifts that I drove into, I stopped and let the Pilot settle in for a second and when I tried to drive out it seemed to be stuck in the snow. I then put the gear shifter into "1", pushed the VTM-4 button on the dash, and drove out of the mess like a breeze. I could really tell the difference with the wheels "locked" into 4-wheel drive.

It was very instructive to go out and play in the snow, testing ABS, 4-wheel drive, trying to skid on purpose, etc. How fun is this to have a toy like the Piolt to play with?!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts