Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So About 3 months ago my brake light flickered on and off a couple times (Not that my brake power was great at the time but I definitely felt a decrease in brake power) You guys told me to change them...I didn’t(Pic 1)

About a month later the brake light stayed permanently on (Pic 2) and was making a slight growling noise (which gradually got louder) Still I thought “I got time”

A month later (I’m about halfway down on the brake pedal at this point) I was driving and came to a stop to make a turn...Then It happened. The Brake pedal went to the ground (Pic 3). ( I literally braked, the car stopped, then felt the brake pedal slowly moving closer towards the floor under my feet 😬😬) I definitely panicked. I was with my brother and told him, but we had to get home. Said a quick prayer then tried to drive again. This time it was halfway breaking again. Still making a lot of noise And Somehow I convinced myself that, that didn’t happen.

As you guessed. 2 Weeks later I’m still driving it. Was headed to a Wendy’s 🍔🍟 a couple towns over. Came to a stop in traffic and again, the brakes started moving under my foot, While still In traffic!!! So I quickly applied the ebrake 😅 Found a parking lot and sat their for like 2 hours. Everyone was at work. Couldnt drive To a Shop cause the brakes that I have ( Back 2 brakes) were at home. Then I tested out the brakes in the parking lot. It went to the floor but still stopped. And I thought I’ll just stop super early and go really slow, and yup headed to Wendy’s 🍔🍟

Too your dismay I was still driving the car around for the last 2 weeks. Growl at this point is so loud. I kept telling myself that first I had to figure out which brakes were bad. Because I changed the front 2 rotors last year and all 4 brake pads but not the back rotors (was tryna save a couple dollars 💵 bad move!) Had so many close calls while trying to stop 🛑 when a red light came on...I literally had to take so many red lights because I wouldn’t be able to stop in time. And the brakes sounded like they were ripping medal when I was braking and sounded like they were spinning loose when I was driving. I’m pretty sure it’s the back to brakes but Not positive

But I was Adjusting👍🏾 Then I parked at a Store today ( Thankfully away from other cars) Came out the store 🏬 put my car in reverse and reversed, ( I heard like a piece of metal snap in half 😱 but I looked down and didn’t see anything) taped on the brakes to put the car and drive and....NOTHING! The car kept going in reverse! Almost did a full 180. Had to force the car in drive. Then tried to pull over to the side but brakes really were not working. Tried to throw the car in park while it was moving but the engine just screeched (Hope I didn’t F*** up the transmission) Then I applied the Parking Brake and it Slowly Stopped👀

So....
WOULD 2 bad Back Brakes Cause the car to stop braking or Is all my rotors bad?

What Tools Would I need To Change Them?

Should I take it to a SHOP instead?

I just have the rotors, am I gonna need new pads? 👀

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Wow!

And I thought I lived on the edge!

Stop Driving it!
If you did the fronts yourself, then you could probably do the rear.

Stop driving it! Until it's fixed

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
If you were trying to save "a couple dollars", then why did you spend the extra money for drilled and slotted rotors?
If you keep driving with worn out brakes, you might end up having to also buy new calipers, instead of just pads and rotors.
Causing harm to others on the road is always unacceptable when one ignores the signs and symptoms the vehicle has warned you. Fortunately this story or tale doesn’t have a bad ending. As mentioned 🛑 STOP driving and get the brakes professionally repaired before someone or everyone gets hurt or worse.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
Should I take it to a SHOP instead?
Instead of Wendy's? Yes.

The only thing worse than a car that won't go is a car that won't stop.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told that my calipers may be gone because the car has no stoppage...is that true 👀 (Phone diagnosis)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was told that my calipers may be gone because the car has no stoppage...is that true 👀 (Phone diagnosis)
With all respect, what do you hope to gain from opinions on a phone diagnosis? You were unable to diagnose and act on an obviously serious problem for weeks. You still need a real mechanic to make the car driveable.

The advice you got was to follow through on your plan to have the car towed and repaired.

If you don't want to do that, sell the car to someone who is able to maintain it, or turn it into a planter in the yard.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I don't know that any of us can help you at this point... you need to take it to a shop and have them diagnose it and fix it right. If it's your only vehicle I understand trying to push things along but it's better to not cause an accident. Bum rides, take the bus, don't play games with failing brakes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All 4 Rotors bad
Missing Pads
And Both calipers on driver side blown
Definitely headed to the Garden

So I guess this is my final letter
For it seems our time has come to an end” 😣 farewell ✌🏾

·
Registered
387 Posts
The piston in the calipers can get overextended if the pad material gets too low. Sometimes they can get rest. From what ur describing they're gonna be bad

1 - 16 of 16 Posts