Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brakes have been feeling like wrapped rotors for about a month now. I took my 2019 Pilot to my regular real mechanic for an oil change and transmission fluid change. I had him look at my brakes, plenty of brake pad left and yes you have a slight pulsation from the front brakes. With only 28K miles he also told me to take it to Honda since its still under warranty. My car before this was a 2011 Honda RL went 97K miles before the rotors needed service

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Honda may cover this type of issues in the first year under warranty.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,571 Posts
Don't let them try and tell you it's your driving habits that are causing this. No way rotors start pulsing with only 28k miles. Take it to the dealer ask them to replace them. This is not an uncommon issue with Pilots and Hondas in general.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't let them try and tell you it's your driving habits that are causing this. No way rotors start pulsing with only 28k miles. Take it to the dealer ask them to replace them. This is not an uncommon issue with Pilots and Hondas in general.

Thanks, yea I'm fully expecting them to give me that load of crap

·
Registered
11,365 Posts
I've never had a dealer agree to replace rotors -- a wear item -- after the first year or 12k miles of driving. Good luck.

They might machine/turn them under a "goodwill" line item.
I would ask for new rotor(s). Not turned. That can be a temporary fix. If they turn it, ask for a longer warranty that you can live with on that repair.

Reactions: FASTFJR

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,571 Posts
Thanks, yea I'm fully expecting them to give me that load of crap
I don't know if you DIY, but many people have good results with Centric pads and rotors from RockAuto. I just switched to Centric on the front for my 2008 Pilot. I've been pleased with them so far. The previous pads and rotors were Honda OEM and "warped" after 30k, but I drove another 15k miles before I swapped them out. I can't resurface the rotors myself, so with labor and everything it just makes sense to replace them.

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
36 Posts
We had issues with our 2019 leftover that we purchased last month. I was driving it around town with the window open and noticed a high pitched squealing. The dealer checked it out and said it was rust on the rotors from sitting in the lot for so long. They cleaned it up for us and the sound is gone.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would ask for new rotor(s). Not turned. That can be a temporary fix. If they turn it, ask for a longer warranty that you can live with on that repair.
They'll turn them because it only costs labor. They're not going to start giving away rotors when they aren't covered outside of the first year.

Personally, I would remove the wheels, remove any rust to make sure the rotors are sitting flush, retorque the wheels to make sure that isn't an issue, and do a brake bedding procedure to scrub the rotors. If that falls, I would just buy the rotors I want and eat the cost. It's not worth the time and effort to harrass the dealer for free stuff out of warranty.

Otherwise, if you're having the work done at the dealer, they'll probably continue the same habits that contributed to the brake judder in the first place.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why couldn't driving habits be causing this problem?

Thanks all!

Yes bad driving habits can easily cause rotors to become wraped. So can shitty metal soft metal. Factory rotors seem to get worse every year. What I was taught years ago is never apply the parking brake until the rotors have cooled off some. FYI.... with the exception of warranty work I never go to the Honda dealer. I've had an excellent local shop I've been dealing with for the last 30 years. He could have easily charged me for turning them, he was the one who said this should not happen but he see's it a lot and to take it back to Honda.

Funny I know all about brake pad bedding. I have a bike with disc brakes and if I don't bed new pads perfectly they will squeal horribly

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has this issue at 33k mi on 2017 pilot.

Replaced front rotors myself with autozone duralast gold high carbon coated rotors when they were on sale.

Used same pads as they had plenty of life in them.

Pads bedded into rotors no problem and now no more pulsating brakes!

Cheaper softer oem material for front rotors is the primary issue. I recommend people Save on the headaches and just get quality aftermarkets and have them swapped.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had similar issue with my 2013 Pilot, scaring shaking and vibration under 30K miles. After swapping the OEM rotor with some unknown local brand of rotor, never had issue until I sold 13 Pilot at 97K miles in Jun this year. Looks like Honda is still using cheapo rotor for cost cutting. will see how my 2020 pilot behave down the road, but I am prepared to swap as soon as I feel the pulsation.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I took it to Honda yesterday. Service manager said the mechanic noted he could feel a pulsation. However its not bad enough to change the rotors....WTF? They offered to cut the rotors but warned me if they have to cut them deep then might have to replace them (my cost). F Honda.......I'll have my mechanic install new rotors.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i want to add that this issue might be more on Honda's side and not the driver despite talks of a driver's braking habits and style. That crap shouldnt matter on a new/newish car on a 3rd gen honda pilot. I've been driving same way for the last 20 years and i only see this happen with this vehicle and i see it pop up every now and then from other owners.

The brake pads are fine! plenty of life left. So it seems like its the rotor. More noticeable at higher speeds, and shakes/pulsates. Coming to a stop you can feel the braking pulsating and not smooth.

OP (FASTFJR) did the problem get fixed once you got aftermarket rotors?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i want to add that this issue might be more on Honda's side and not the driver despite talks of a driver's braking habits and style. That crap shouldnt matter on a new/newish car on a 3rd gen honda pilot. I've been driving same way for the last 20 years and i only see this happen with this vehicle and i see it pop up every now and then from other owners.

The brake pads are fine! plenty of life left. So it seems like its the rotor. More noticeable at higher speeds, and shakes/pulsates. Coming to a stop you can feel the braking pulsating and not smooth.

OP (FASTFJR) did the problem get fixed once you got aftermarket rotors?

I never got it done, the pulsating stopped for a couple months. Then started back up late fall. Off and on for a few months. I have another third or so left on the brakes. In a few months I'll go in for brakes and have them replace the rotors also

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
46 Posts
fwiw.... do it yourself for $200 max.
Replaced the rotors on my 2018 (34k mi) 2 weeks ago.
pulsating steering wheel and brake pedal on a descent over a mountain pass, and what seemed to be a little fade as they got hot.
pads were still good.
$75 for the rotors and 2 hrs of my time. Just be sure to have a good punch to get the rotor set screw out.
Just made the trip again last weekend. no pulsating or brake fade sensation.

·
Registered
418 Posts
fwiw.... do it yourself for $200 max.
Replaced the rotors on my 2018 (34k mi) 2 weeks ago.
pulsating steering wheel and brake pedal on a descent over a mountain pass, and what seemed to be a little fade as they got hot.
pads were still good.
$75 for the rotors and 2 hrs of my time. Just be sure to have a good punch to get the rotor set screw out.
Just made the trip again last weekend. no pulsating or brake fade sensation.
which rotors did you go with?

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
46 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts