Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was waiting for my girlfriend at the grocery store and was sitting idle for a little while. I put the car into reverse and felt the pedal go down further than it normally does. I started driving and the brake pedal sunk down more and more and felt really spongy. I took it really slow to the gas station where I picked up some brake fluid and topped it off - level was low but made no difference. I babied it all the way home and decided to take a further look while in the driveway. I tried pumping the brakes and it didn't get any better. I pushed the pedal pretty hard and heard a slight popping followed by a hissing sound. The pedal then went all the way to the floor. I don't really want to take it for a spin to find that all brakes are gone especially when my driveway is angled.

Any ideas as to what happened? The car has 181k on it and I was told that I had a brake line leaking when I took it in for an oil change a month ago.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I was told that I had a brake line leaking when I took it in for an oil change a month ago.
That would be my guess, too.

Be safe, have it towed. (Ask me how I know.)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Any ideas as to what happened? The car has 181k on it

Time, wear, water in the brake fluid, fluid not replaced regularly, rust, failed brake line. It's easy to let happen, the brakes just keep working until they don't. It's human nature to forget about a system that just keeps working, until it finally fails.

The real point here is to change out the brake fluid every couple of years. Look at the reservoir when you check the oil. The fluid should be clear to slightly yellow. When it starts to look brownish, it's time to flush the system with new fluid. It's not really that expensive, even if you have a shop do it for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts