Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is in the dealer (now) to get the 1st 6000 km maintenance.

Compliant about the brake pedal sinks down (occasionally) when you stopped before stop sign.

Like the vaccum suck down the pedal when your foot is on the pedal.
I remember reading somewhere in this forum, too.

The dealer technical test drive and report normal. Do not know that means he could not feel the pedal sinks or no sign for that or the sinking is normal.

Anyone have this experience, and anyone manage to fix it.

All the othe noise problems; clicking front driver strut, rear cargo thumb noise, gas tank noise, window rubbing noise, they say could not found or normal.

All the other trims problems, back order from Japan.

So other than the oil change (I hope, did not confirm on the phone), nothing has been fixed or done.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have also occasionally experienced this brake "sinking" but to be honest, I have not really given it any thought. My brakes work fine and I'm having a blast with my now month-old Pilot.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's exactly what I encounter with my Pilot, as I post the problem with the title 'Experience Brake problems yet?' I owned the Pilot for 5 days only and found not only does it sink down a bit, it sinks down a lot - almost to the floor! On top of it, I feel that I cannot slow the car down as normal.

I am still currently dealing with the dealer regarding this issue, which is vital enough to give up the car as this poses great risk not only to my family, but also everybody else on the road! According to my knowledge, there's been a few Pilots across Canada that complains about this problem already. I don't want to spark any rumours, but indeed want to share my experience with others to take caution with the brakes. If you find that it sinks really down and you noticed a bit irregularity with slowing the car, bring it back to the dealer and have them investigate. If the braking is bad enough, insist them to give you a satisfactory answer!

I will keep others posted as to what happens to my Pilot, which I owned for 17 days so far and drove it only for 5 days!

Good Luck!
:mad:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I noticed this as well, almost seems like a master cylinder problem, but I think it is just the way it is supposed to be. The car stops fine and the ABS seems to be working when I stomp on the brakes.

I did not notice this at first, but it was after I was stopped in the drive way and I put a little more pressure on the brake and it sank down. I have to admit I was a little worried, but I did some testing such as slow and panic stops and they worked fine. Not like the BMW, but acceptable for the Pilot. I figured I would ask the dealer when I brought the car in next week if my day/night mirror comes in.

·
Registered
991 Posts
chillimouse said:
That's exactly what I encounter with my Pilot, as I post the problem with the title 'Experience Brake problems yet?' I owned the Pilot for 5 days only and found not only does it sink down a bit, it sinks down a lot - almost to the floor! On top of it, I feel that I cannot slow the car down as normal.

Man, this one looks bad, let me know whats going on with this brake problem... Hope Honda puts out a recall like they did with the water pump.. I have a Pilot coming in in October and am considering canceling it to wait for 2004 model...

there seems to be to many problems (most minor) but enough to really get your attention. Every time I log onto this board there is something else going on with the Pilot.

getting worried
rob
:(

·
Registered
154 Posts
chillimouse said:

I am still currently dealing with the dealer regarding this issue, which is vital enough to give up the car as this poses great risk not only to my family, but also everybody else on the road! According to my knowledge, there's been a few Pilots across Canada that complains about this problem already. I don't want to spark any rumours, but indeed want to share my experience with others to take caution with the brakes. If you find that it sinks really down and you noticed a bit irregularity with slowing the car, bring it back to the dealer and have them investigate. If the braking is bad enough, insist them to give you a satisfactory answer!

I will keep others posted as to what happens to my Pilot, which I owned for 17 days so far and drove it only for 5 days!

Good Luck!
:mad:
So you have actually notice an issue with the Pilot not stopping? I will look up your old post. I have not had an issues with the car not stopping, or not slowing down the way it is supposed to.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I would at least take a quick look at the brake fluid level just to make sure it wasn't something that got overlooked at inspection. Other than that, get it to the dealer fast. I wouldn't wait to confirm there is a problem when when you really need them.

Chris

·
Registered
900 Posts
We both noticed the brakes sinking today, once each today. While stopped at a light. Otherwise the brakes seem to work fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Might be an ABS Honda thing, but I will ask when at the dealer next week. I am not too worried about it yet.

I never notice the brake pedal going all the way down to the floor just a couple of inches, and if my foot is just resting on it, it does not move, it is when I put pressure on it after a stop.

Is there anything on the MDX site about this?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Pilot Brake Boost

The Pilot does seem to have a lot of boost compared to my CR-V.
It makes the peddle feel a bit soft when sitting stopped, but all seems to work well.
I am not sure what Honda has done differently between the two systems, as they look very similar.
The brakes work great, and I have had cars with much more boost, so I got used to it quickly.
I am very sure it is just the way they are designed and not a "problem"!

·
Registered
206 Posts
What is normal?

puccetti said:
Might be an ABS Honda thing, but I will ask when at the dealer next week. I am not too worried about it yet.

Feels just like the ABS on my Volvo. It bothered me when I drove an ABS car for the first time, but I didn't even notice it in the Pilot until I read this thread. Some "odd" things are bound to be "normal".

;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
In another thread relating to this issue, someone made the connection that the brakes seem to "sink" when it is stopped and the A/C condenser kicking in, and I have to say that I think that they were right. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the brake vaccuum? I intentionally shut off the air conditioner/auto feature when I was driving around this past weekend and the brakes didn't "sink" at all. It would be interesting if others who have noticed this with their brakes, turned off the A/C for awhile and see what happens and report back their experiences.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts