Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my pilot has a very slight side to side play (looseness) 0f the brake pedal. Noticed it at a red light. When i parked, i physically tried to move the brake pedal left and right..there was a small amount, maybe 1cm left/right play. It's not a major problem but i wanted to make sure this is not ABNORMAL. So if any of you have a minute or so, could you let me know if your pilot's also have a slight lateral play in the brake pedal. Thanks. Incidentally my wife's lexus has a similar amount of play.
thanks

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that too on my Pilot. I guess it's another one of those Honda/Pilot quirks I have to get used to. I checked another Pilot that was in the showroom at the dealer when I went to get my oil change and there was same side to side movement as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine has about 1/2" play and it drives me nuts! It's going in to the shop next week to get it tightened.

I think this is a potential safety problem, as the play keeps increasing. Will the pedal fall out eventually? I wouldn't want to risk it. The dealer's demo Pilot I drove, while mine was in the shop, had excessive play - measured 1 and 1/8 inch lateral play.

Of all the things on a car that could be sloppy, the brake pedal should not be one of them (personal pet peeve).

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's not the nicest feature in the Pilot but it's normal.
Mine does it and so did the two I test drove prior to buying mine.
It doesn't bother me at all anymore (9K and climbing).

·
Registered
767 Posts
I haven't noticed it moving side to side, but on a related note, I have noticed that the pedal often clunks when I release the brake, like when I lift off to accelerate away from a stop. It's noticeable enough that my 7 year old has asked me "What was that noise?" Could be a symptom of the same problem. I'll have to check for side to side play when I get a chance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I noticed it on mine, too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Helldiver said:
I am concerned about this as well...

Anybody actually took it to the dealer and got a fix?
I took my Pilot in about a month ago and mentioned that. The dealer called me that day and said they wanted to keep the Pilot there because they were very concerned about the pedal play. I told them I wanted to drive it, so I had to sign a waiver releasing them of liability so I could drive it while they waited for new pedal parts to come in. The parts came in and I took my Pilot in this morning to have them replace the brake pedal. I just got a call from them and they told me the new pedal does the same thing. They now have an open call to Honda to find out what's going on with the pedals.

I'll let you know if I hear anything useful from them!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
sd-pilot said:

I took my Pilot in about a month ago and mentioned that. The dealer called me that day and said they wanted to keep the Pilot there because they were very concerned about the pedal play. I told them I wanted to drive it, so I had to sign a waiver releasing them of liability so I could drive it while they waited for new pedal parts to come in. The parts came in and I took my Pilot in this morning to have them replace the brake pedal. I just got a call from them and they told me the new pedal does the same thing. They now have an open call to Honda to find out what's going on with the pedals.

I'll let you know if I hear anything useful from them!
See, this is the type of pro-active and concern I wish all dealers extended to their customers. I pointed out this problem and had a service technician look at it, but he said there's nothing to worry because other Pilots do the samething. I confirmed this for myself, but still, it doesn't make sense that a brake pedal should move like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't noticed this happen on my silver EXL. But i did notice this on the original test drive @ my local honda dealer.It was very noticable and also kinda annoying.Luckily mine dosen't have this problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts