Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2009 Honda Pilot with about 350,000 miles. I purchased it in Kansas for sales travel in Iowa and Nebraska. Last year or two on really cold mornings (around 0F degrees) after starting the vehicle the brake pedal would be hard and would not stop the car. It would take a few minutes of pumping the brakes to get the pedal to move down. It would only happen first thing in the morning. I spoke to my Honda dealership and they told that there is likely water in the brake line and freezing things up. But, because the bleeder valves on each caliper were rusted shut, the calipers would all need to be replaced to perform this service. This made sense, so all four brake calipers were replaced last spring along with a brake fluid flush. Now with the cold weather here again, the brake pedal is doing the same thing. Not much else to replace, but I tend to think the brake booster hose or booster itself could be the problem. Seems I read about a brake booster hose problem with the Accord having the same symptoms. Not sure why the hose would be affected by the cold?

Has anything had any problems like this?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, there is a check valve in the vacuum booster line (Honda calls it Tube Assembly, Master Power) that can freeze and cause this condition. It happened to me twice in very cold weather.

I replaced the entire line and it hasn't returned. Honda doesn't sell the check valve separately. It was a very easy fix to a scary problem.

46402-SZA-A01 - Genuine Honda Tube Assy., Master Power

1 - 2 of 2 Posts