Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing something unusual when I press on the brake pedal on my Silver EX-L Pilot. I hear a very noticeable air release noise from the brake hydraulics, like 'SHHHHHHHH!". This occurs each and every time I use the brake system. I don't think this is normal because my other cars don't exhibit this strong hydraulic air release sound. Does anyone notice this particular sound when braking?

BigGreatWall
2003 Silver EX-L Pilot

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've never really noticed a SSHHHHHH sound, but then most of the time I have my radio on, or a CD in. I will try to remember to shut everything off on my way home.

I have noticed that sometimes when I am sitting a red light, that the brake peddle will all of a sudden depress further, without additional foot pressure, almost like the pressure has just dropped in the brake lines. Weird :8:

My Pilot has touchiest brakes of any vehicle I have ever owned. The brakes will depress normal and evenly slow the car down, and then all of a sudden, without changing the amount of pressure on the pedal, it will start a sudden deceleration and the nose will dive. Really weird brakes.

Anybody else have any of these problems?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Swoosh

I have the swoosh, but thought that was just the way it worked??

·
Registered
240 Posts
:p Yeah, I heard it the other day when I was coming to a stop in the neighborhood. Music was off and it was quiet. I heard a sccchhhhwwwoosshhh.:D Thought it was cool so I preceded to continue "pumping" them. Eventually, the sound went away and the brake response was razor sharp!:p

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes, Mine does it too. It is a very very quit SSHHHHHH. More like a shh. Can't hear it with the A/C on, radio on, or with any nearby traffic or outside noise.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
It's normal. The MDX does it too...

From the MDX site...

Normal operation. Caused by compression of brake-pedal-return cylinder.

There is also a rubber boot that protects the brake pedal assembly under the dash, when the brakes are pushed the rubber boot is compressed and forces air out. There has been some discussion about this on other threads.

One or the other...nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've experienced the sudden "braking" as well but have found what I think is what is happening. As you're braking if you watch the tach the Pilot will downshift and cause a feeling of getting a little more braking than you bargained for. Just as if you shifted down while going down a steep grade.

·
Registered
481 Posts
definitely agree on the downshifting while braking, very noticeable. also have the swoosh on the brake pedal, but kind of like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts