Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EX - Taffeta White
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -- longtime listener, firstime...ah, you know the drill.

Bought some new Centric PQ Pro pads from RockAuto for my '07, rotors were replaced 60K mile ago and look good/don't exhibit any signs of issues (I.e., pulsing, shudder, etc.).

My question is that the shims are pre-installed and appear to be very strongly adhered to the pad with some sort of adhesive. Centric also included a small packet of moly grease. I was under the impression this would be used between the pad and shim, but with the shim factory attached in such a seemingly permanent way, I'm now wondering if the moly was simply for things like pad ears (which I know a lot of folks say isn't necessary anyway).

Anyway, anyone have some insight on this? I really can't imagine Centric intends for me to forcibly separate the adhered shims, just to re-grease with moly, but maybe that's the case? Or, as stated above, maybe the included moly was just for other applications?

Any help would be much appreciated! (And thanks much for all the incredible input/discussions on here over the years -- it's helped me do a helluva lot more on my Pilot than I'd ever have expected myself to be able to do, such as replacing those pesky window motors/regulators!)

·
Registered
121 Posts
It would be helpful if you had a photo or two, but I believe I know what you’re referring too. You are correct, don‘t try to separate the shims on the new pads. They don‘t need any grease on them. The grease is for the pad hears. You can also use it on the piston rubber covers when you compress them back ( if needed). I have seen people also use the grease for the caliper pins, but I would use a better quality grease for the pins.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No need to separate shims from the pad, it's glued to keep it from moving. You can use the moly grease on pad ears, between piston - inner pad shim and between caliper - outer pad shim.
Don't out too much grease on the pad ears though, if you spray wash your wheels the grease can get sprayed off and can end up on your rotors.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EX - Taffeta White
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be helpful if you had a photo or two, but I believe I know what you’re referring too. You are correct, don‘t try to separate the shims on the new pads. They don‘t need any grease on them. The grease is for the pad hears. You can also use it on the piston rubber covers when you compress them back ( if needed). I have seen people also use the grease for the caliper pins, but I would use a better quality grease for the pins.
No need to separate shims from the pad, it's glued to keep it from moving. You can use the moly grease on pad ears, between piston - inner pad shim and between caliper - outer pad shim.
Don't out too much grease on the pad ears though, if you spray wash your wheels the grease can get sprayed off and can end up on your rotors.
Thanks for the replies. Re: caliper pins, sounds like syl-glide is often recommended around here so figured I'd use that.
Re: the moly placement, I'd read some concern about putting it between the shim and the caliper itself (either piston/inner or caliper/outer) due to the grease eventually spreading dirtying up the caliper?

Little did I know before deciding to do the pads that grease placement would be such a topic of great research debate haha.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Some people will grease the back of the shim/pad to try and reduce chatter/vibration noise. I do not. I use brake grease (silicone based) on the slides, and where the pad moves back and forth against the caliper or brake stainless brake hardware kit. On the back of the pads, I have some brake pad noise quiet spray, it is blue and tacky, almost an adhesive. This creates a layer between the pad and the shim that eliminates any chance of chatter. With today's modern pads that have a thin layer of rubber on the shim, this is even unnecessary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use high temperature synthetic brake grease, for the sliders and tabs on the calipers if necessary. The brakes can get quite hot. Synthetic brake grease is superior to what we used to use in the old days.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The moly is mainly to put on the outside of the shims, to prevent squeal if moving against caliper/piston. Stuff is also known as 'disc brake quiet' Whether you need it, depends on the car. Some may be quiet without it. Some may be real noisy. Do not use it for caliper pins. For that, you want specially designated grease. I use Mission automotive silicone paste, but there are many other products that work well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts