Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced calipers, rotors, pads and brake fluid. Used PowerStop slotted and drilled rotors w/ ceramic pads and DOT 4. I'm getting a slight warped rotor feel when stopping at low speeds, say 30-40mph or slower, slowing to stop. Almost like there's a lump in the rotor but at higher speeds it's smooth.

I greased the ears on pads and also applied a small amount of grease over the back of pad on piston side. I was wondering if maybe had something to do with the triangle clips that attach to the pads? The feel is coming from the fronts.

I was also expecting a stiffer pedal feel after doing the brake flush. Used the bottle and tube one person method until all fluid was clear coming outta each caliper but I didn't do the Honda sequence of FL, FR, RR,RL I did the RR,RL,FR,FL method. No air bubbles showing on last pumps before I tightened. Pedal feels the same as it did before, no change.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
Did you bed the brakes after the change?

·
Registered
363 Posts
two issues I have had

1. didn't get the surface the rotor mounts to completely clean and rust free.
2. aftermarket rotors haven't held up as well as OEM rotors - quality of the material used.

I would remove the rotor and clean the mating surfaces thoroughly, remove any rust, raised metal, etc

·
Registered
957 Posts
Did you file out the rust from the pad sliding areas? If not, then the pads are probably binding, not moving freely.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should mention I just did a suspension overhaul as well. New hubs so no rust anywhere. Everything is brand new.

I will try pulling them apart and whipping pads? Maybe there is some grease on them?

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
No I did not. Heard some manufacturers don't recommend doing that and I couldn't find any recommendations from PowerStop for it.
This is it. What is the Break-In Procedure? - PowerStop

If it is just a pad wear issue you may have to pull the rotors, have them cleaned/resurfaced and re install them. You may already have an uneven wear issue that you will either have to live with or replace the pads again. Good luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well crap.... I musta got lucky with my last set as I didn't bed those in either but they were smooth from the jump. Thanks for digging that up for me.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
As a precaution, when I bought the 2020 Passport I actually bedded the brakes on the way home. May be a bit of OCD but drum brakes were much more forgiving than modern disk brakes and I wanted to make sure that I didn't have issues. Not sure that Honda or any manufacturer actually beds brakes on a new vehicles, well, not unless you are paying 200K + for the vehicle.

As brake technology has progressed and refined and tolerances have gotten smaller there is less room for error. They are, in my opinion, harder to install and not have issues later on. One thing I had never heard of until my mechanic told me about it was indexing the rotors when installing them. Not something I would want to try. I don't have the tools to do so.

Anymore if I need new pads I will do them myself. I haven't needed new rotors on a vehicle for several years. Not sure I would do rotors myself these days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm with ya on the OCD thing. Just did my suspension and now I'm hyper sensitive to all noises and clunks, I still have some, annoyed.... It's not like the warp feel is unlivable just that I was expecting perfect with all this money I'm throwing at it. Not thrilled with the new calipers I got either, the guide pins aren't all that smooth and one of them has some grit to it going in and out. I guess it's what I get for cheeping out and buying off RockAuto. Wish I could afford OEM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts