Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has experienced a grinding sound coming from the brakes when backing up? Whenever I back out of my garage (usually in the morning) and lightly apply the brakes I hear a grinding sound. The brakes work perfectly fine otherwise. I looked at the rotors through the wheels and they look good (no grooves) and I only have driven 5700 miles. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I noticed a similar sound this morning when backing out of my garage. Yesterday I washed the Pilot on my driveway, so I figured there was some kind of residue left on the rotors and it would go away after a few stops. Sometimes rotors get a thin layer of oxidation on them from a wash and it goes away the first time you apply the brakes. I didn't notice it again. Has it been really humid where you are or have you been having temperature changes that would cause condensation?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I also noticed this the first week or two I had my Pilot. It doesn't do it any more. It could very well of been a little oxidation. Probably just the pads being worn in.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine does that every day, but it's nothing serious. I get a little oxidation, or rust, on the rotors overnight and it takes a little bit to wear it off. Yes, it makes a grinding noise. I've got another car with 4-wheel disc brakes and it does the same thing every morning.

If I back in the driveway overnight, the next morning it still makes the noise the first time I hit the brakes - but not as loud as backing out in reverse.

Also, mine gets a pretty good layer of oxidation on the rotors after parking in the rain for a good week or so without driving it. This grinding effect is then really pronounced the first time I pull out.

Since the brakes are essentially just cleaning the surface while you hear the noise, there shouldn't be any damage to worry about.

-Pete

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brake noise when backing up

Re: brake noise when backing up

Thanks to all for the information and quick response. I feel alot better after hearing its only oxidation. Its great to have a forum where you can ask questions like this instead of running to the dealer all the time.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
PaulV7 said:
I also noticed this the first week or two I had my Pilot. It doesn't do it any more. It could very well of been a little oxidation. Probably just the pads being worn in.
What's oxidation? My chemistry is a little rusty... :D :D :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have an answer to this problem....

I had this problem crop up on my PILOT and it was driving me crazy until I was on roadtrip to Las Vegas last December.

What I found is, when the roads are wet and if you spend anytime on the highways, the mist and chemicals from the road tend to dry up and build up on the rear brake rotors.

I found the best way to make the grime go away is either hose them off with high pressure sprayer or just drive and your brake pads will scrape the crud off.

I have NOT noticed any adverse effects on the brake pads - as I've recently had mine checked (13k mileage) and they are wearing great.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
767 Posts
WARNING!

DO NOT hose off your rotors unless they are completely cooled (i.e. don't do it after driving the car)!!!

Rotors get very hot when you apply the brakes. Spraying them with cold water on one side is a really good way to warp them. Better to let the brake pads rub off the thin layer of oxidation. It might make a little noise for a few stops, but at least you won't damage your brakes.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Balmer - great side note

If you do have the buildup on your rotors and you go to the carwash - make the rotor issue the last item on your list of "things to do"

Balmer - great catch and good advice!!!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
19 Posts
loud metalic "clunk" noise when apply brake for the 1st few times

At start of the driving, doesn't matter if it's backing out or forward driving, when apply the brake for the 1st time, I notice one, only one, loud metallic "clunk" noise, (hard to describe the sound, more like the sound of metal tapping on metal once, it's very loud), always from the rear of the car, can't tell from which side though. Apply brake again, anther similar loud "clunk". This goes on for the 1st few times of braking, no more than 5 times. Brake functions well, but the noise is loud, definitely not the griding noise people were describing in this thread.
1st I thought could be that I didn't release the hand brake, no, the hand brake was released. Even I don't apply the hand brake when parked, still I get this noise at the start of the drive after parked for a while.

Anyone notice the similar problem?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went to the dealer with my list of things to be fixed, including the thunking brakes. They molycoated the brake pads and retorqued the suspension. It's been a 1000 miles, and it's still OK.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: loud metalic "clunk" noise when apply brake for the 1st few times

minliang_c said:
At start of the driving, doesn't matter if it's backing out or forward driving, when apply the brake for the 1st time, I notice one, only one, loud metallic "clunk" noise, (hard to describe the sound, more like the sound of metal tapping on metal once, it's very loud), always from the rear of the car, can't tell from which side though. Apply brake again, anther similar loud "clunk". This goes on for the 1st few times of braking, no more than 5 times. Brake functions well, but the noise is loud, definitely not the griding noise people were describing in this thread.
1st I thought could be that I didn't release the hand brake, no, the hand brake was released. Even I don't apply the hand brake when parked, still I get this noise at the start of the drive after parked for a while.

Anyone notice the similar problem?
Check out this thread I started a couple of months ago. I had the same exact issue.

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2209

1 - 13 of 13 Posts