Discussion Starter #1
I realize this has been brought up a bunch of times and many
(all) will have this "problem" once the brake pads wear off a little
bit.
I am talking about the clicking noise that the calipers make
when one reverses direction, or applies brakes first after a
stand still.
I realize that is is PROBABLY OK, from the safety stand point,
and functionally, it does not compromise my braking system.
However, I am having a hell of a time explaining it to my wife,
who is driving the Pilot (a.k.a. BabyMobile) most of the time.

It certainly does not sound safe, or at least does not
add confidence to a driver who is oblivious to the design
of modern braking systems. It sounds like a piece of old
rusty machinery, and I think this is unbecoming for a modern
marvel of a Japanese engineering :)

Bottom line, I don't like it, and I have never had a car that did
it, so I assume this is not something that MUST be happening.

Question remains -- can this be fixed. I heard adding shims help.
Has anyone been able to get their dealer to address it.
As I said, I realize the brakes are not going to fail on me on the
interstate because of the noise, but at the same time, I did not pay $30K+
for a top rated SUV to tolerate it sounding like a
shopping cart.

Thanks for any productive input,

Kruzo

·
Registered
163 Posts
I too have the same problem. It occurs first in the morning. I called the dealer and they said that it is "NORMAL". I would discuss with them at the time of recall fix.

I have about 5 various problems to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My dealer installed a shim kit under warranty, and the noise has stopped. I'm happy! He did say it could eventually return once the pads wear a little more, but so far, so good! The Service Writer referred to the noise as "caliper slap".

He did qualify the condition as normal for Honda brakes, and they installed the shim kit as a matter of customer satisfaction. There is not any damage or danger from that noise.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please post a copy

Any chance you can post a scanned copy of
your work order/receipt -- it would be much
easier to deal with the service department
if I could show that somone had it done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The dealer said this is normal (ABS)

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is in other threads too. The brake pads are a bit loose in the calipers. No effect on braking quality, just a silly noise that could be eliminated if the pads fit better. Seems to just the rears on my Pilot and mostly just when reversing direction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What is that noise. I've had it since I bought the Pilot in in August of '02. The first couple of times I took it to the dealer they sid i was hearing thinks that they could not replicate the "complaint". I actually had someine get out of the car who was riding in the rear seat stating they thought the brakes wer going to fail. The dealer finally acknolwedged the noise but said it was a "normal noise" occuring on most all vehicles. Never heard anything like it before. Sounds cheap.

This is about a aggravating as the outside temp that is never right or the compas that reads SE when I am traveling N. Both thinks the dealer says I jus need to get used to.......

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
a2Pilot said:
My dealer installed a shim kit under warranty, and the noise has stopped. I'm happy! He did say it could eventually return once the pads wear a little more, but so far, so good! The Service Writer referred to the noise as "caliper slap".

He did qualify the condition as normal for Honda brakes, and they installed the shim kit as a matter of customer satisfaction. There is not any damage or danger from that noise.
Do you have any information on the shim kit?

I kind of doubt Honda will address this as a recall.
The CR-V has this issue to a MUCH greater degree, on both front and back brakes. It took 1 1/2 years for them to put out a TSB and parts kit to address the issue.
The click on the Pilot is about he same as on the Odyssey and MDX, neither of which have been addressed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the "floating" brakes on my 98 V6 Accord Coup (loved that car). Never had a problem with the brakes for the four years I owned it. It's a normal sound says Honda.

I have the floating brakes on my 2002 CR-V too which Honda acknowledges.

So, if it bothers you get the dealer to install the shim kit. However the noise will return, so enjoy the Pilot and drive – I have for 33,550 plus miles!!
:2:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
pilot4me said:
I had the "floating" brakes on my 98 V6 Accord Coup (loved that car). Never had a problem with the brakes for the four years I owned it. It's a normal sound says Honda.

I have the floating brakes on my 2002 CR-V too which Honda acknowledges.

So, if it bothers you get the dealer to install the shim kit. However the noise will return, so enjoy the Pilot and drive – I have for 33,550 plus miles!!
:2:
Have you had the TSB work done on your CR-V? Did the noise return?

I had them "fix" my CR-V before the TSBs came out.
They replaced the shims, but I think it was just the standard shim under the brake pad (maybe with an extra dab of Brake Quiet).
The sound went away for a while then came back.
I am going to have them do the TSBs next time it is in. This is the addition of shims or clips that are not in the original design.
I would guess the Pilot would need the same type of clip, but don't know (doubt) that the same clip would fit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The CR-V was in the shop Monday having an oil change, front brakes and all the TSB done. Today, it's sitting in the shop as we speak having a new throttle body put on - engine light was on and the engine was revving in the morning during idle for no reason Wed. while the wife was driving the kids to school. You can only imagine the ear full I got from the wife after it had been in the shop Monday!! Needless to say she was :cursin::3:!!!!

Hopefully the shims will be in today so they can complete all TSBs.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
pilot4me said:
Needless to say she was :cursin::3:!!!!
Hmmm, well Maybe I am lucky I drive the CR-V and the wife has the Pilot.

No :cursin::3:!!!! going on here (Yet) (Still have to take it in for the Tensioner and SRS)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
N_Jay said:
Do you have any information on the shim kit?

I kind of doubt Honda will address this as a recall.
The CR-V has this issue to a MUCH greater degree, on both front and back brakes. It took 1 1/2 years for them to put out a TSB and parts kit to address the issue.
The click on the Pilot is about he same as on the Odyssey and MDX, neither of which have been addressed.
I'll dig out the paperwork from the service. There should be a part number there.:D

Our V also has caliper slap. We've only got 4,500 miles in it too! I'll ask for that shim kit when it goes in for it's next big service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brake noise

I hope what I hear is not more serious.

What I heard (for the first time) a week ago, while on the road, was a kind of metal on metal scrapping noise (like as if the pads were worn out) for a few minutes, and then it stopped. And this morning when I was backing out of the garage I heard a metal scrunching noise; put it in drive and moved forward a little; and then the noise disappeared. The noises seem to come from the rear passenger wheel area.

I have to take the Pilot in for the SRS recall; and will bring this up with the dealer. BTW, the parking brake goes all the way to the floor before it engages; that's another thing I need the dealer to address. It helpful if the shim kit information is posted before I take it in.

I have only about 5,300 miles on the odo.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Brake noise

roadhog said:
I hope what I hear is not more serious.

What I heard (for the first time) a week ago, while on the road, was a kind of metal on metal scrapping noise (like as if the pads were worn out) for a few minutes, and then it stopped. And this morning when I was backing out of the garage I heard a metal scrunching noise; put it in drive and moved forward a little; and then the noise disappeared. The noises seem to come from the rear passenger wheel area.

I have to take the Pilot in for the SRS recall; and will bring this up with the dealer. BTW, the parking brake goes all the way to the floor before it engages; that's another thing I need the dealer to address. It helpful if the shim kit information is posted before I take it in.

I have only about 5,300 miles on the odo.
Scraping noise from brakes should always be looked at right away.
It can be minor or major, but you can not tell by sound.

·
Registered
119 Posts
kruzo said:
I am talking about the clicking noise that the calipers make
when one reverses direction, or applies brakes first after a
stand still.
Kruzo
The clicking noise is caused by a space that was intentionally engineered between the brake pads and the brake rotor.

There are actually two clicks each morning - one when you back out of the garage and the second when you stop the for the first time going forward. You obviously hear the first one because there is no other noise to distract you - the second one occurs when you apply the brakes at the first stop sign and you have road noise, the radio and people talking that covers the noise of the little click.

When disk brakes first came on the market the manufacturers allowed them to ride on the rotor and we did not have the noise - What we had instead was poor gas mileage.

You can go to Honda and have them install the shim kit to get rid of the noise but the pads will now contact your rotors more closely, your mileage will go down and your rotor wear will increase.

JJ

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Brake noise -- anybody got it resolved?

raleighpilot said:
The clicking noise is caused by a space that was intentionally engineered between the brake pads and the brake rotor.

There are actually two clicks each morning - one when you back out of the garage and the second when you stop the for the first time going forward. You obviously hear the first one because there is no other noise to distract you - the second one occurs when you apply the brakes at the first stop sign and you have road noise, the radio and people talking that covers the noise of the little click.

When disk brakes first came on the market the manufacturers allowed them to ride on the rotor and we did not have the noise - What we had instead was poor gas mileage.

You can go to Honda and have them install the shim kit to get rid of the noise but the pads will now contact your rotors more closely, your mileage will go down and your rotor wear will increase.

JJ
The clicking noise is caused by space between the pad and the caliper, not the rotor.
The "click" is caused by looseness on the sides of the pads not between the pad and the rotor.

The brake pads always ride against the rotor. If they did not the brake peddle would have too much freeplay.

The new clips are but between the pad and the caliper at the edge of the pad, not behind it.

If the brakes were riding enough on any car to cause a loss of mileage, they would be smoking (all the energy used by the brakes is turned into heat).

Again, as far as I know the clips are only for the CR-V. Some people are putting them on Elements (same brakes as the CR-V).
I believe the Pilot does not share these braake parts.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
With every manufacturer you make trade-offs. I personally am not bothered by the caliper slap, now that I know what it is. (Sorta like being in an airplane the first time; all the grunts, groans and squeeks of a commercial jet can be scary.)

What I do like about Honda is that the exhaust system doesn't pop and ping and make a racket for 10-15 minutes after you stop, like most every other car I've owned. What is it about the metal on a Honda exhaust that it doesn't do that while cooling off?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update

here is an update from my friendly (and I do mean friendly)
Honda Service manager, Scott, from Autofair Honda in NH:
<...>
As far as your concern with the brake pad shift noise. I know exactly
what you folks are talking about. At this point it is considered a
"normal" condition. The brake pad lower spring kit for the CRV's seems
to help the excessive noise that the CRV's can have. They can be much
more pronounced than the worst noise from a Pilot. The engineers at the
factory tell me this has been a design change over the past few years
across the entire model line. The reason for this design change is
mainly due to the fact that as the steel portion of the brake rusts
(over time) it tends to tighten up the clearance between pad and caliper
slides. Once this occurs it can cause ugly things like abnormal and
premature brake pad wear, including over heating brake rotors and
related parts. That side effect can even cause other ugly issues like
over heating rotors, wheel bearings and things of that nature. I
understand it's a concerning noise, not to worry. I tell my customers
that it's a new characteristic of most all new vehicles, not just
Honda's. My 02 Toyota Tundra has it bad! All we can do as the dealer is
verify the noise (can't assume or take anything for granted) and let the
customer know that in fact it's a normal and healthy noise. When that
noise goes away we chance to have issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts