Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just had rear brakes and rotors resurfaced yesterday and I noticed a whining sound (hard to explain) when slowing down to about 10-15mph it wasnt doing this before the brake job. Do you know what it could be? Also I just noticed a clicking noise when I push on the brake pedal when stopping as well when I go to start the pilot up. Can anyone tell me if this is normal.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Check if they have applied the grease and put all shims and retainers back in. The whine might be Okay if everything is in place - your pads are breaking in to the machined rotors.

·
Administrator
15,521 Posts
Before you do might just need a good hard stop (or two) to burn off any protective coating after manufacture.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Take the car back to the installer. The clicking is likely from improperly installed pads and/or hardware moving around. The whomping should go away once the new pads bed into the rotors, but shame on the shop for not breaking them in before handing the car back to the customer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's back there now and boy I was I made. I just had the brakes, timing belt, idle tensioner all done yesterday

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the shop called and said they didn't hear anything at all, so they want me to come in and drive it around with them to listen for the noise

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
One thing to clarify is whether they installed the new pads or re-used the old ones. If they installed new pads, then they come with 2x sets of shims (internal and external) and the V-shaped spreader springs have to be re-used. If they missed any of the shims or lost the V-springs or forgot to smear the grease on the circumference of the new pads, then they would squeal and you might hear a clunk when pressing the break pedal when you get in the car. Been there done that.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I call BS. How long was the car in the shop this 2nd time?

Bungee cords are used to hang a caliper up the spring. They would whip around and cause all sorts of noises but the initial knock when you press the brake pedal to start the car. They likely forgot to put the shims in but would not admit to it openly. The symptoms pointed exactly at that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts