Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the pads and rotors on my '13 pilot about 3 weeks ago. Car works great and the vibration is finally gone after getting rid of those OEM rotors. Now my wife is complaining about the howling sounds you hear about half the time in low speed braking situations such as
  • riding the brakes when traffic is creeping along at 5-10 miles an hour
  • maneuvers in the parking lot
  • the last few feet before a full stop
The stopping power is great, but this sound persists. I installed Centric rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. Although the pads didn't have shims.
My best guess is it's either the pad material or the lack of shims. Any thoughts on that?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a great set of pads that come with shims?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Should have bought Akebono or OEM which come with shims. Of should have transferred the shims from the OEM pads onto Wagner. Did they not come with grease too?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yes, you need shims to keep down NVH. And FWIW, I'm not a fan of the ThermoQuiets. Had them in an old car and they were noisy despite being shimmed and properly greased.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luckily I didn't trash the 2-piece Honda shims. This past weekend I put them back on the car.

When I did the brakes the first time, I thought that the caliper pin boots were getting close to crackly, so I replaced those and regreased them as well. You may think like I did that caliper pins have nothing to do with the howling sound. I still believe it, but there was a you tube video where a Pilot made the exact same sound mine did. The video's author said it was the caliper pins needing regreasing and that fixed it. Seems odd, but 20 extra minutes of my time is worth it.

Nice thing was that I didn't need to remove the caliper carrier. So far the Pilot brakes quietly with the thermo quiets (they are very grippy tho).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts