Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much are piloteers paying for their brake jobs at the Honda dealerships? What would be the cost of parts to do it yourself? I would assume there is a youtube video.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was quoted roughly $300 per axle at Huntington Honda Long Island, NY (pads+machined rotors). DIY /w new Centric pads & rotors will be around $300 for both axles (RockAuto prices).

DIY is half the price and upgraded brakes.

Will do DIY as soon as it’ll get a bit warmer here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
My honda dealer charged me like 1500$ CAD (575$ front + 700$ back plus taxes)for everything pad rotors front back. I bought everything for 225$ and did it myself pretty easy job they tried to rob me. Save alot !

·
Registered
129 Posts
You save a lot... as long as you can get those stupid little rotor holding screws off. If not, you pay with years of your life drilling them out.

Yes I used a hammer impact driver - went through 3 GOOD bits. If you do get them off without having to drill and chose to put them back on, a little dot of anti-seize takes care of the problem for next time.

The first time will take you a bit longer then necessary but, once you do it once, you'll never go back to having it done at a shop. Until you get too fat, old and lazy like me that is.

Reactions: zmarke01 and EzeE1o

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
My honda dealer charged me like 1500$ CAD (575$ front + 700$ back plus taxes)for everything pad rotors front back. I bought everything for 225$ and did it myself pretty easy job they tried to rob me. Save alot !
$1500...That's crazy. There is no way I would pay that for a brake job when parts are under $300.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was scared at first with those rotors screws but they were so easy to unscrew its suprised me i didnt have to use my hammer impact. I guess i was lucky .

·
Registered
129 Posts
Eventually the job entails more than pushing the pistons back and slapping on new pads. That's when it pays to be able to do a complete job rebuilding or replacing calipers and bleeding the system.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
590 Posts
Does anyone actually put those little screws back in???

I remember them being a headache but I can't remember if I left them out.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Touring
33 Posts
I was quoted roughly $300 per axle at Huntington Honda Long Island, NY (pads+machined rotors). DIY /w new Centric pads & rotors will be around $300 for both axles (RockAuto prices).

DIY is half the price and upgraded brakes.

Will do DIY as soon as it’ll get a bit warmer here

Nice! Just curious though ... as I'd like to try this someday, lol, if DIY, where do you go to get your rotors resurfaced, or do you just replace those as well?
And by upgraded, what brand(s) will you be getting to make your new rotors, pads better than the ones you'd replace? Thanks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Honestly just get new rotors.. machining/turning them is taking away material. Not worth it n a vehicle as big And heavy as the pilot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As a general layman's rule (so you don't have to take measurements with a dial caliper), you should replace the rotors with every second set of pads. That's only if the rotor surface is still smooth as evidenced by running your finger nail along the surface. If it catches anywhere along the surface include the lip of the rotor, you should replace it. Machine shops can machine it but the price won't be much different from getting new ones. Such is the state of our world where high onshore and cheap offshore labor rates have driven us to be a disposable good society where those goods used to be durable.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
As a general layman's rule (so you don't have to take measurements with a dial caliper), you should replace the rotors with every second set of pads. That's only if the rotor surface is still smooth as evidenced by running your finger nail along the surface. If it catches anywhere along the surface include the lip of the rotor, you should replace it. Machine shops can machine it but the price won't be much different from getting new ones. Such is the state of our world where high onshore and cheap offshore labor rates have driven us to be a disposable good society where those goods used to be durable.
My question would be why? If you are just replacing rotors to replace rotors and not taking the time to index the rotors you may be making for a worse situation. While the physical steps to replacing brakes are simple the actual task is mush more complex than most DIYer's understand.

·
Registered
129 Posts
@Daltongang I'm not in disagreement with you. A proper brake job has significantly more steps and there was a time where all shops had a lathe to true even a brand new rotor before installation.

I still stand behind the method I referenced. It's worked well for many a DIYer minimizing time, cost and complexity with proper and desirable brake performance much more often than not. Measuring rotor thickness and having it machined would most definitely be taking the job to another level.

Edit: I should mention that I haven't seen anyone index/measure runout in a LONG while even at a dealer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My question would be why? If you are just replacing rotors to replace rotors and not taking the time to index the rotors you may be making for a worse situation. While the physical steps to replacing brakes are simple the actual task is mush more complex than most DIYer's understand.

I bet far fewer than 1% of shops (dealer, independent, everyone) indexes rotors as part of the installation process. They'd probably look at you like you have two heads if you even suggested it. The best most of us can hope for is that they at least brush the rust off before slapping the new rotor on.

Don't get me wrong -- it would be amazing if shops cared enough to index rotors as part of brake installation, but at least in my experience, it isn't going to happen. Hell, they think you're crazy if you even ask them to use a torque wrench when putting wheels back on rather than gunning them to 300 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
Honestly just get new rotors.. machining/turning them is taking away material. Not worth it n a vehicle as big And heavy as the pilot.
Everyone has an opinion on this. Vlad is driving his F! inspired Pilot on the Nurburgrring Tack LOL!
Just kidding Vlad.

OR, you can just replace the pads. That's usually all I ever do, and NO PROBLEMS, NADDA!

No pedal pulsating, no catching, etc. Just because I'm replacing the pads, I don't automatically just get new rotors too.
You can (cough, cough, Waste, sough) spend your money how you want to. As will I. My vehicles stop fine, FOR ALL NEMAL driving.
I have replaced rotors once, once. Saw/felt no difference in the brakes on the vehicle. This is not a F! car.

YMMV

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
I bet far fewer than 1% of shops (dealer, independent, everyone) indexes rotors as part of the installation process. They'd probably look at you like you have two heads if you even suggested it. The best most of us can hope for is that they at least brush the rust off before slapping the new rotor on.

Don't get me wrong -- it would be amazing if shops cared enough to index rotors as part of brake installation, but at least in my experience, it isn't going to happen. Hell, they think you're crazy if you even ask them to use a torque wrench when putting wheels back on rather than gunning them to 300 ft/lbs.
I would disagree, but perhaps that is because I first learned about indexing rotors from the independent shop that I use. All it take is a little time to find the best position for the rotor. It's not much different than installing a door or a window. In all three cases you are truing up the object with shims. With the rotor you need a couple of run out gages, with doors and windows you need a good level.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice! Just curious though ... as I'd like to try this someday, lol, if DIY, where do you go to get your rotors resurfaced, or do you just replace those as well?
And by upgraded, what brand(s) will you be getting to make your new rotors, pads better than the ones you'd replace? Thanks.
This time i will replace rotors & pads with Centric branded parts. A few months ago someone posted a very good review about them.

Full set (front+back) CENTRIC # 90640097 currently $ 231.79 at rockauto.com.

However I might do my own set with perforated rotors (Power Stop). Not sure yet. Haven’t looked yet what big guys aka Brembo offers as well. But im leaning towards Centric.

I never resurface my rotors and change them after they seem too thin.

I will post a report after i’ll do the job.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would disagree, but perhaps that is because I first learned about indexing rotors from the independent shop that I use. All it take is a little time to find the best position for the rotor. It's not much different than installing a door or a window. In all three cases you are truing up the object with shims. With the rotor you need a couple of run out gages, with doors and windows you need a good level.
That shop is worth its weight in gold, then. I wish I could find a place like that. Are they a performance shop, or just a regular independent?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts