Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I lived in OR for 5 years and am now in Michigan. Here are my thoughts:

1) if it only happens in reverse the first time you drive it - it’s likely surface rust and part of living in a humid place.

2) almost definitely your front rotors are warped. I’ve had good luck recently with performance-grade Powerstop rotors from RockAuto and Wagner ceramic Thermoquiet pads. I had a coupon,and the rotors with shipping were about $90 - they have an antirust coating specially formulated for salt states (like Michigan) but these would also work well in the Pacific NW. I got the pads at my local OReilly.

I spent $150 on pads and rotors but IMO well worth it; after almost a year and 10k miles the rotors still look new and the system is still very smooth.
I've got the front Powerstops and their pads on my 2007 2500 Ram. They do yield a seat of the pants improvement over already great brakes. I bedded them in by the book and they're doing well stopping 8650#

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello all,

Two issues:

1) My wife and I own a 2007 Pilot. We live in the Pacific Northwest. When we back out of our driveway and activate the brakes, there is a metallic scraping sound. We have had the brakes checked and the pads are good.
Has anyone experienced that, and if so, is there a fix?

2) Over a period of years we have had to with have the front rotors resurfaced or replaced. The lead up to that was the worsening pulsation in the front end when braking.
Resurfacing or replacing rotors isn’t cheap!
We try to be easy on the brakes vs slamming them on at last minute, etc.
Has anyone experienced the same thing with their Pilot, and if so, did you come up with a successful resolution?

Thanks!
I also live in the Pacific Northwest. I park my car outside. Often I hear a scratching noise first thing when I drive down my driveway. I assumed it was rust on the rotors. The noise goes away after the brakes are used a couple of times, in my case by a few hundred feet from house.

The road out of my neighborhood is a steep hill that is 1 mile long. This requires the brakes to be used for a fair amount of time to keep the car from going above the speed limit. It takes very little time after I put on new pads and rotors for the rotors to "warp". I use quotes because it is not apparent they are actually warped. They look absolutely flat to me, but they pulsate when the brakes are only moderately applied. Others may know more about this. From my reading it may be that the brake material that moves from the pads to the rotors is not applied with the same thickness across the rotors, not "bedded" correctly. This comes from overheating from applying the brakes for about a full minute while going down the hill. Anyway, I just live with it. They same thing happened with my Ford Windstar. However, my wife's CR/V has never had this problem. If others have an explanation I would like to hear it.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts