Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Two issues:

1) My wife and I own a 2007 Pilot. We live in the Pacific Northwest. When we back out of our driveway and activate the brakes, there is a metallic scraping sound. We have had the brakes checked and the pads are good.
Has anyone experienced that, and if so, is there a fix?

2) Over a period of years we have had to with have the front rotors resurfaced or replaced. The lead up to that was the worsening pulsation in the front end when braking.
Resurfacing or replacing rotors isn’t cheap!
We try to be easy on the brakes vs slamming them on at last minute, etc.
Has anyone experienced the same thing with their Pilot, and if so, did you come up with a successful resolution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all,

Two issues:

1) My wife and I own a 2007 Pilot. We live in the Pacific Northwest. When we back out of our driveway and activate the brakes, there is a metallic scraping sound. We have had the brakes checked and the pads are good.

2) Over a period of years we have had to with have the front rotors resurfaced or replaced. The lead up to that was the worsening pulsation in the front end when braking.
Has anyone experienced the same thing with their Pilot, and if so, did you come up with a successful resolution?

Thanks!

Reply Quote

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
1) The metallic scraping sound may very well just be a bent or damaged dust shield behind your rotors. It's a relatively easy fix by either rebending it into place (it's pretty thin) or just removing it.

2) The solution that worked for me and which has kept me happy every time I brake, and greatly relieved in those hairy last minute braking situations, has been the Centric set from Rockauto.

Rotor and Pad Replacement - Dealer vs Independent

·
Registered
806 Posts
Generally it's better to replace worn/warped rotors than having them turned/trued as they are thinner than years ago. My dust shields rusted away years ago and made a slight scraping noise on turns. Inspect for proper brake function as the sticky caliper syndrome can make for dragging brake pads and hot rotors resulting in additional issues.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,516 Posts
Does the scraping sound only come from the rear brakes? If so perhaps the sound is coming from the parking brake system which resides behind the rear rotors.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,516 Posts
@Rocky
Any way to merge this duplicate thread?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Does the scraping sound only come from the rear brakes? If so perhaps the sound is coming from the parking brake system which resides behind the rear rotors.
True, that could also be it. We all seem for forget about those parking brakes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My brakes scrape when backing out after a few days it has been sitting and it had rained (car stays outside). I just thought it was a surface rust on the rotors. It wears off after a few brakings.

I used to have my rotors turned but they always ended up warping worse. Maybe the thinner metal with the heat if they turned too much? I just go with new rotors now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in Michigan and my Pilot often gets parked with wet, salty water all over the brake rotors. It is a common occurrence to hear a grinding type noise the first time I hit the brakes after it sits like that. Once the pads wear the new surface rust off the rotors, all is well again.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
49 Posts
Hello all,

Two issues:

Thanks!
The rotors warp due to improper torquing of the wheels. They also warp due to residual stress formed in the rotors when they are cast.

These two "flaws" are brought out by hard braking as this heats the rotors greatly. Since you live in a mountainous area, I suspect you do subject the car to periods of long sustained braking.

Short answer, for folks in your area, this is probably normal. If you have had your rotors turned, it gets worse. After 2 turnings, time for new rotors. Replacement rotors, especially those of lower grade will warp faster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello all,

Two issues:

Thanks!
Take rear rotors off there should be parking brake shoes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

Two issues:

Thanks!
2004 Pilot 140k miles Yes, same problem with scraping sound and backing out of driveway. Mobile mechanic has checked and found nothing. With this new info from the replies here I now have solid possibilities to present for further investigation and likely solution. Many thanks guys!

·
Registered
63 Posts
2004 Pilot 140k miles Yes, same problem with scraping sound and backing out of driveway. Mobile mechanic has checked and found nothing. With this new info from the replies here I now have solid possibilities to present for further investigation and likely solution. Many thanks guys!
Also the backing plate rusts causing it to come in contact with the inner part of the rotor if replacing the rear rotors use Honda

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello all,

Two issues:

Thanks!
I live in northern KY where it is very humid. The rotors are made of cast iron which rust slightly over night and do the same thing in the morning. It won't hurt anything and as long as your pads and rotors are good not much else you can do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello all,

Two issues:

Thanks!
The rotors are gathering surface rust overnight. I get that in San Diego even if the car sits for a few days or I wash it and it sits overnight. I had my original rotors resurfaced at the dealer a number of times using the on on car. At 180K I bought some Bosch Quietcast ones and ceramic pads.The ceramic pads chewed up the aftermarket rotors n short order. The dealer resurfaced them on the car again and installed Honda Pads. 10K later nice and smooth braking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I live in northern KY where it is very humid. The rotors are made of cast iron which rust slightly over night and do the same thing in the morning. It won't hurt anything and as long as your pads and rotors are good not much else you can do.
Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
53 Posts
I lived in OR for 5 years and am now in Michigan. Here are my thoughts:

1) if it only happens in reverse the first time you drive it - it’s likely surface rust and part of living in a humid place.

2) almost definitely your front rotors are warped. I’ve had good luck recently with performance-grade Powerstop rotors from RockAuto and Wagner ceramic Thermoquiet pads. I had a coupon,and the rotors with shipping were about $90 - they have an antirust coating specially formulated for salt states (like Michigan) but these would also work well in the Pacific NW. I got the pads at my local OReilly.

I spent $150 on pads and rotors but IMO well worth it; after almost a year and 10k miles the rotors still look new and the system is still very smooth.

·
Registered
67 Posts
1) The metallic scraping sound may very well just be a bent or damaged dust shield behind your rotors. It's a relatively easy fix by either rebending it into place (it's pretty thin) or just removing it.

2) The solution that worked for me and which has kept me happy every time I brake, and greatly relieved in those hairy last minute braking situations, has been the Centric set from Rockauto.

Rotor and Pad Replacement - Dealer vs Independent
I had that problem and it was the thin metal dust shield. I have a crushed stone driveway and I must be some of the small stones occasionally get wedged but also seems to be rust build up on the rotor. The mechanic banged on the shield but later the noise came back. I took a more technical approach. I jacked the car up if it was the back wheel then had the car in neutral so I could rotate the wheel and with a spacer or feeler gauge and a piece of chalk I turned the hub as I took the wheel off to see better. Turned the hub until the rotor touched the spacer plate. I first filed of the rust along the top and side of the rotor that could hit the shield plate. Turned the wheel to see when and where the rotor was hitting the plate. Then it was a matter of prying the plate out to increase the space. A nail puller type pry bar is helpful.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts