Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Pilot w/210K miles and a local mechanic who keeps it running. All is good. Today I went to check my fluids, though, and I noticed two connectors by the brake fluid reservoir that were NOT connected. I did some searching and identified them as the brake fluid level switch connectors. I'm attaching a photo from a technical manual I have.

Not sure why they aren't connected (?), but what is the impact of them not being connected? Do they simply control a dashboard notification of low brake fluid? I'm not having any braking issues, and the fluid level is fine. I'm assuming my mechanic just forgot to re-attach them the last time he did work on my brakes.

But I wanted to check with you Pilot experts before reconnecting. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,667 Posts
If that is the sensor inside the brake fluid reservoir it warns when the brake fluid level is low. I’d reconnect the harness and not worry about it.

Was the master cylinder or brake fluid reservoir changed out recently? That’s the only reason I can see needing to disconnect that harness.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Exactly What road2cycle stated .. i ran mine for a while until I replaced the cap ... if the cap went bad you would get the RED brake light and the VTM warning light for low brake fluid.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys. Gonna reconnect this weekend. I did have master cylinder replaced but that was like 2 years ago. Perhaps I just noticed the disconnected wires after all that time. Doh!

·
Registered
33 Posts
My brake light on my 2005 Pilot with 238,000 miles on it has been going on and off intermittently. I disconnected the brake cap sensor and the problem went away. I reconnected it. Sometime shortly after the VSA light and triangle started to go on intermittently. Every time I restart the car the VSA lights are off, so it resets itself somehow. The dealer checked all the codes, several codes indicated low voltage and they told me it was a bad battery, but the battery checked out three different times with three different tests and I have a voltmeter connected to the cigarette lighter than indicates the voltage is always between 13.9 and 14.1 volts . I replaced the battery and I still had the VSA and brake cap problem. I went on a long trip last week and decided to disconnect the brake cap sensor. Since then the VSA light and triangle have not come on once. I have no idea why these would be related. Perhaps this story may be useful to others.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
201 Posts
Same year 216k - same lights, but stay on while driving. Noticed the brake sensor lines were disconnected after having the 210k mile service done the local mechanic. I plug them back in to the fluid reservoir and that is when the brake light would come on and stay on. VSA stays on, but pilot runs fine

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
201 Posts
My update- cleaned connectors and coated with dielectric grease and topped off reservoir to top line. No red brake Light anymore!! I have to agree with @Tahoefever that over time the cap goes bad and gets Real finicky! I just bought myself a little time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My update- cleaned connectors and coated with dielectric grease and topped off reservoir to top line. No red brake Light anymore!! I have to agree with @Tahoefever that over time the cap goes bad and gets Real finicky! I just bought myself a little time.
I purchased a brand new cap. Plugged it in. I have had zero problems since. I don't know what the cap electronics are made of, but it has to be one of the simplest switches there are. What I don't understand is why if the reservoir switch is acting weird it cause other low voltage problems and the VSA light to go on.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
201 Posts
I purchased a brand new cap. Plugged it in. I have had zero problems since. I don't know what the cap electronics are made of, but it has to be one of the simplest switches there are. What I don't understand is why if the reservoir switch is acting weird it cause other low voltage problems and the VSA light to go on.
No clue either...got the same low voltage error

1 - 9 of 9 Posts