Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Brake Fluid flush after 36 month?

22K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  plplplpl 
#1 ·
Is it really necessary to flush the brake fluid after 36 month?

I've had the pilot for 4.5 years and 55K, but my brake pads haven't worn yet...

So, I need to do the brake fluid flush w/o the brake pad repalcement?

Dan

#2 ·
Just follow what your owner's manual says. People usually do it every2-3 years. It is important to flush the brake fluid out because it tends to gather moisture and that's a bad thing for your brake fluid. New fluid should be clear and not look like used motor oil.

#3 ·
What the last poster said. And brake fluid maintenance is really fairly independent of brake pad maintenance. One is more a calendar item, the other a wear item.

This is one of those things that everything will be all right until it's not all right, your ABS light comes on in the dash, and you'll have a $3K repair bill for a new ABS pump (or other high-ticket item). Not something to skip lunch right now and go do, but get it done at your next service.

- Mark

#7 ·
I'll be flushing brake fluid in the next month or so.

Does anyone know how much fluid I'm going to need (I understand it depends a little on how much on the new stuff you flush out in the process)?

Also - is Brake Fluid a quirky Honda specific variety (like ATF and VTM) or can I get a standard kind at the parts store?

Finally - has anyone done this without taking the tires off? How hard is it to reach the bleeder screws?

Thanks

#8 ·
fireflock said:
I'll be flushing brake fluid in the next month or so.

Does anyone know how much fluid I'm going to need (I understand it depends a little on how much on the new stuff you flush out in the process)?

Also - is Brake Fluid a quirky Honda specific variety (like ATF and VTM) or can I get a standard kind at the parts store?

Usually less than a bottle, but have a second available in case you screw up. (or have another car to get you back to the store.

My theory is any QUALITY fluid is fine when changing the fluid, but always use the same type as in the system when topping up.

Since your dealer is likely to top up for you, there is an advantage to using Honda fluid even when changing.

If you do all your own work, then pick a brand and stick with it.

#9 ·
fireflock said:

Finally - has anyone done this without taking the tires off? How hard is it to reach the bleeder screws?
Yes, Honda recommends its own brake fluid for Pilot.

You should be able to do it without taking the tires off. But it may require that you bleed/change the brake fluid in a certain order. And you may need to disconnect the negative battery end to disable the ABS. Since I don't have a service manual, I can't be sure. But it is at least true for some other vehicles.

#10 ·
If Honda does recommend their own brake fluid, I'd view it just like they're recommending their own oil - they simply want to sell you their overpriced stuff. Unlike the ATF and VTM situation, there is nothing unique or special about the brake fluid spec - just plain old DOT3 or DOT4.

Use DOT4 which is, by spec, absolutely compatible with DOT3, but has a higher boiling point. I'm sure any quality fluid would be fine, but a bunch of sites have recommended Valvoline SynPower DOT4 so that's what I use. I'd buy the bigger 32 oz size as you'll probably use most of it.

Always dispose of brake fluid carefully - the stuff is really nasty to the environment if you pour it down a drain or dump it on the ground. Most autoparts stores will recycle it. I store it until a twice-yearly recycle day put on by the local community. You need to keep it separate from AF, oil, solvent, etc.

Another recommendation you'll hear is to always use an unopened brake fluid container. I think this is complete overkill. While you do want to keep the container tightly closed between uses so as to not continually circulate moisture in the the container (where it can be absorbed in the the brake fluid), the amount of water vapor in the small parcel of air in the opened brake container is absolutely miniscule - if you want to worry about this, then you should also do your brake bleed in a vacuum wearing spacesuits.

I think Honda wants you to work from the wheel closest to the master cylinder outward.

- Mark

#11 ·
whizmo said:
I think Honda wants you to work from the wheel closest to the master cylinder outward.

- Mark
That is correct: (1)front left (2)front right (3)rear right (4)rear left

I just recently did a brake overhaul (rotors, pads, fluid) and it was a lot easier than I thought. IMO, unless you have access to a lift, I think it would a PITA to gain access to the bleed screws. Besides with the wheels off, you can do the common visual inspections that the dealer would do as part of a service package.

#19 ·
Why DOT 4 when the recommended is DOT 3? Dot 4 has a higher dry and wet boiling points for high temp situations, while DOT 3 is less susceptible to hydroscopic issues, meaning it doesn't need to be changed as often. Also the addition of borate esters in DOT 4 can be harmful to some of the components in a DOT 3 designed system.

#20 ·
We use it for longer trips (usually mountain areas) with 4 people and luggage. I'll sacrifice a little hygro for the higher heat rating. I'm in florida and Florida drivers suck. People flock to the left lane without looking and I have to stab the brakes. Not much water will be absorbed when flushing every 3 yrs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.