Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd find a number of pics on here showing the mounting of brake controllers, but I have not. So, I'll post mine!

Its mounted in a vertical fashsion, not something one would think you can do, but the directions show it can be mounted in any 360 degree rotation and the mount allows it to flip front/back for whatever I find to be the easiest. And I cant hit my knee on it unless I do it purposely!

Empty mount...

Wire routing...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice. I only have the original Prodigy which has to be mounted between 0 and 70 deg. Hopefully I can find a nice neat place to put it.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I hung mine under the "Not an Ashtray" in the center console (2003).

That way when my wife is driving I still have access to it to adjust (or apply the brake in an emergency)

Plus when I take it off, the mounting holes will be noticeable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's used to control the power applied to electric brakes on a trailer. It senses the deceleration rate of the vehicle and applies power to the trailer brakes proportionally.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hung mine under the "Not an Ashtray" in the center console (2003).

That way when my wife is driving I still have access to it to adjust (or apply the brake in an emergency)

Plus when I take it off, the mounting holes will be noticeable.
I tried really hard to find a way to get the wiring to the center cubby. We dont use it, the controller fits like a glove in it, and it just looks great in there.

But there are huge air ducts in the back of it and from the side wasnt an option unless I drill a huge hole and it was some distance to the cubby too. No doubt there is some way to make it work there, I just didnt feel tearing apart the whole center consoul was at all worth it! (Nor am I brave enough!!!)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Forgive my ignorance on this, but... why would they have the controller be in the cabin of the car at all? if all it is, is an accelerometer or a gimble device that sends signals to the trailer, why not have it somewhere that you can't see it at all? What purpose does it serve to have it visible?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Forgive my ignorance on this, but... why would they have the controller be in the cabin of the car at all? if all it is, is an accelerometer or a gimble device that sends signals to the trailer, why not have it somewhere that you can't see it at all? What purpose does it serve to have it visible?
FYI:
Trailer Brake Controller Information | etrailer.com
visibility allows you to see if it is working and adjust voltage for braking operation on electric or electric over hydraulic trailer brakes.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You not only need to check the display for errors and verified connection, but you also need access to it for initial set up, testing, and emergency use.

Some people use the override lever to activate the trailer brakes vs the truck brakes to slow on long downgrades (not sure thats good or bad honestly) and its also there for use if the trailer begins to sway violently. Using the override will force it to pull straight and settle.

So, you have to have access, even if its minimal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That looks awesome - great pics. Is that the Prodigy P2? I am looking at the same one...also, did you get the Tekonsha wiring adapter for Honda? Was not sure if it would work on 2012 Pilot - looks like I found the plug adapter just above where the parking brake lever is in the side panel taped to some other wires and a really small wire plug hanging in there as well. Wanted to see if the adapter would work.

Local Camping World has sale on the Brake Controller for $99.99 and will install for $39. If it is simple plug into harness (they don't have but see on etrailer and Amazon), mount, hide wires - I may just hang on to my 39 bucks + labor + waiting time.

Any pics of the plug in spot would be great too!!!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
That looks awesome - great pics. Is that the Prodigy P2? I am looking at the same one...also, did you get the Tekonsha wiring adapter for Honda? Was not sure if it would work on 2012 Pilot - looks like I found the plug adapter just above where the parking brake lever is in the side panel taped to some other wires and a really small wire plug hanging in there as well. Wanted to see if the adapter would work.

Local Camping World has sale on the Brake Controller for $99.99 and will install for $39. If it is simple plug into harness (they don't have but see on etrailer and Amazon), mount, hide wires - I may just hang on to my 39 bucks + labor + waiting time.

Thanks!!!
Just saw etrailer vid. Great video. Looks like piece of cake. Still curious if the wire connector works for 2012.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks!!!
Yes to all and I ended up purchasing it all on Amazon.

The plug is right where you say, up and behind the E-brake area.

Save your money and do it yourself. Its so easy, a caveman can do it. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've no pictures, but fasioned a simple plate mount that requires no drilling. There's a bit of metal about 2.5" wide to the left, under the steering wheel that has a hole in it. The trailer brake was easy compared to the BS trailer wiring kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased the Tekonsha harness and hooked in - then plugged in the P2 - nothing. Genius thought...need to put in the fuse! Anyhow, the harness is long enough to where I can put the controller in the little bin area below the radio (just reaches) and I wedged it in there very well with squishy stress reliever toy and it sits in there very stable with easy access to manual lever for emergency braking on the controller (i put it in its cradle for a little more stability). We do not tow a ton - just some camping trips with our camper within an hour or two from home. Going to try this route and see if it works okay - have not hooked up with camper and run the 25mph stop settings yet, etc. I think this will work and when not in use will just disconnect the brake controller and coil/wrap the harness and tuck up under the dash. Anybody else trying this method instead of mounting to / under dash?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I purchased the Tekonsha harness and hooked in - then plugged in the P2 - nothing. Genius thought...need to put in the fuse! Anyhow, the harness is long enough to where I can put the controller in the little bin area below the radio (just reaches) and I wedged it in there very well with squishy stress reliever toy and it sits in there very stable with easy access to manual lever for emergency braking on the controller (i put it in its cradle for a little more stability). We do not tow a ton - just some camping trips with our camper within an hour or two from home. Going to try this route and see if it works okay - have not hooked up with camper and run the 25mph stop settings yet, etc. I think this will work and when not in use will just disconnect the brake controller and coil/wrap the harness and tuck up under the dash. Anybody else trying this method instead of mounting to / under dash?
Please post a picture of this. I wanted to put mine there but getting the wire in from behind appeared impossible without making it a huge ordeal. I'm curious to see what I missed back there and how you get the connector in there!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please post a picture of this. I wanted to put mine there but getting the wire in from behind appeared impossible without making it a huge ordeal. I'm curious to see what I missed back there and how you get the connector in there!!!
My post was a little vague reading back through. So I did not mount at all. I put the controller in the pocket cradle it comes with and when plugged in using the Tekonsha harness, it just reaches putting it into that pocket area. I then just wedged it really good with some little rubber/foam stress reliever chochkies (spell?) I have from work. It stays in there really well for driving and stays very stable. My plan is to only hook up when towing and then disconnect harness, coil up and clip under dash - that is how I have it now. Just put the controller / cradle in a padded case and will store in rear compartment so will be handy when needed.

redneck engineering at its finest (although don't consider myself to be all that red). The main thing in instructions from controller manual is that it has to sit straight in vehicle (can rotate 360). Fits pretty level and snug up in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You know, this is brilliant! I just got my Pilot and spent an hour last night trying to find a good spot for the controller, but had no AH-HAA moments - there's just no spare room in this cockpit. We tow about once a month, so I think your idea is great! I might try mounting the plastic holder with double stick tape and eliminate the padding. I just hope the harness will be long enough - it's on order from etrailer.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
My post was a little vague reading back through. So I did not mount at all. I put the controller in the pocket cradle it comes with and when plugged in using the Tekonsha harness, it just reaches putting it into that pocket area. I then just wedged it really good with some little rubber/foam stress reliever chochkies (spell?) I have from work. It stays in there really well for driving and stays very stable. My plan is to only hook up when towing and then disconnect harness, coil up and clip under dash - that is how I have it now. Just put the controller / cradle in a padded case and will store in rear compartment so will be handy when needed.

redneck engineering at its finest (although don't consider myself to be all that red). The main thing in instructions from controller manual is that it has to sit straight in vehicle (can rotate 360). Fits pretty level and snug up in there.
Not mounting it is a BAD idea.

If it shifts position when the brakes are on you will either over or under bake the trailer.

If the road is wet or you are already in a "panic" situation, you could easily lose control of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not mounting it is a BAD idea.

If it shifts position when the brakes are on you will either over or under bake the trailer.

If the road is wet or you are already in a "panic" situation, you could easily lose control of the vehicle.
I second that.

Brake controllers require a solid mount that cannot move or shift.

I cant exactly picture what you've got going, but if you dont have it mounted solid in the center pocket, you have a bad concept, bad mount, bad situation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've no pictures, but fasioned a simple plate mount that requires no drilling. There's a bit of metal about 2.5" wide to the left, under the steering wheel that has a hole in it. The trailer brake was easy compared to the BS trailer wiring kit.
I just installed my Prodigy controller using the metal channel mentioned above. I attached the Prodigy's mounting bracket to a piece of 1/4" hardboard. The metal section under the steering wheel has a 1/4 hole already. I used a short hex bolt to attach my bracket to it. Works great! Photos below.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts