Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ah...good to know. I didn't realize they would do that (but then again, I've never bought a new car!).

Have good one....

·
Registered
7 Posts
We just purchased a 2020 Pilot and it had the tow package on it. We are looking for a brake controller for our camper. Any Recommendations for a 2020. I've called a few local stores and they say they have nothing compatible. Not sure I understand why. Any thoughts?

Hi Everybody,

I can gladly assist as I did this two years ago.

I have a 2017 EXL equipped with the tow package and tranny cooler. Here in Canada YOU MUST have a trailer brake controller if towing anything over 3,000lbs. You would be foolish to tow a trailer over that weight without one anyways.

I tow a 21' Travel Trailer with a dry weight of 3100lbs but loaded up I am around 4,000lbs or 80% of the vehicle's tow capacity.

If you're looking for a trailer brake controller, do as another reader said and look up some reviews on E-Trailer or read reviews on Amazon. I simply chose one of the lowest cost / best rated Curt models out there at the time....

Don't overthink the brake controller. Many have features you will never ever use, especially for a vehicle like a Pilot. Mine has the most basic functions which I never really adjust once you set up the Gain, brake delay, etc.

Installing it was a piece of cake. Your Pilot will come with a pigtail harness which has the white connector and wires with about 18" in length. You have two options here, you can either solder the Honda harness wires to your Brake Controller (matching the colours) or you can buy an adapter online which does the same thing without soldering.

I chose the soldering method. Once the pigtail was connected to my controller it was time to plug into the vehicle. This part is tricky in the sense that the port is under the drivers dash, far left side, way up and above the e-brake pedal. You need to be a contortionist and lay in the driveway, with your head near the gas pedal, and shove one hand way up and under just to plug it in. Beware there is lots of sharp metal under there and no easier way to access this.

Once you have plugged in your pigtail harness you will need to add one fuse to the vehicle which I believe was a 30A fuse located in the engine fuse compartment. I think it was labeled Trailer Brake. The vehicle has the spare fuse inside the compartment. Upon doing this, your brake pedal application should now illuminate the controller indicator light that it works. Once you've tested it, simply choose a location to mount the controller to the dash. Some units are easy to detach from the vehicle when not in use which might be a consideration when buying. Mine is permanently located in front of my right knee, at the the bottom of the dash next to the centre console. It's small and you barely see it and it never interferes with driving, but still allows easy assess to the manual brake control button should you start to experience bad sway or need to active only the trailer brakes.

I hope this helps everybody. Oh and FYI the vehicle tows my trailer like a dream. I now have 80,000kms on my vehicle with probably 6,000-8,000 km of towing my travel trailer. No excess tire wear, brake pads have tons of life, and using a weight distribution hitch the vehicle rides perfectly level with minimal sway during high winds. The vehicle tends to cruise in 4th and 5th gear on the highway at 100kmh (60mph).

Good Luck Towing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The connector under the dash is for convenience so you don't have to splice into wires to install a brake controller. I installed a CURT Spectrum controller (Spectrum Trailer Brake Controller), which is a bit expensive, but I liked the small size and mounting options so I wouldn't be banging my knees on the typical type of controller. The main control unit can be mounted in any orientation wherever you can find a spot under the dash, and the knob can go wherever you like with either double-sided tape or by drilling a hole. I was able to get a matching cable with it so everything was plug and go. It does take a little getting used to what colors of LED mean what function, but after that it's really nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just purchased a 2020 Pilot and it had the tow package on it. We are looking for a brake controller for our camper. Any Recommendations for a 2020. I've called a few local stores and they say they have nothing compatible. Not sure I understand why. Any thoughts?
We have a 2016 Pilot Elite that we had the tow packaged installed by the dealer allowing us to tow our Gulfstream travel trailer about 4K lbs GVW. We use a Tekonsha P2 Brake controller that is wired for a Pilot. Installed on the left side of the steering column and attached to the pre-existing harness above the emergency brake pedal. Don’t forget to add the fuse as instructed. Works great!

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot AWD 7p Touring
5 Posts
Great thread, I just bought a 2017 Pilot and got the tow package added. The sales person told me the controlled it included in the wiring harness, but I suspected that it wasn't the case. Could you guys tell me does it come with the 4 pin connection or 7 pin?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,471 Posts
The rear connector is the 7 pin connector next to the hitch receiver. The 4 pin connector is for the brake controller. It plugs in under the dash where your brake controller should be attached. This feeds to the 7 pin connector.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep. Exactly. I ended up going with the Curt Spectrum - spent the extra money for the small profile, given that the new Pilot is pretty well packed and there's not a large number of options. I mounted it at knee height left of the steering wheel on the free space on the plastic panel. My knee doesn't hit it and it's visible without leaning. Super easy to install - I bought from etrailer and just picked their kit that included the controller and the adapter for Hondas. Fit perfectly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking to purchase 2020 Pilot Touring. If it doesn't come with the towing package does it still have the connector up under the dash to be able to plug the brake controller cable into?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,471 Posts
The brake controller input and the trailer output connection are all part of the wiring harness. For the brake controller it is under the dash and is tied to the trailer output wiring which is in the left side rear body by the hatch.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts