Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install the VC Muzzler II on the engine, but need to know how to remove the engine cover. Do I just pull it up to get it off the studs? My 16 Odyssey had 2 screws that I turned to remove the cover.

·
Registered
743 Posts
On my 2019 Touring you just pull the cover up starting at one corner and working around. I think there are 6 studs? Your 2017 should be the same I would think if you don't see any screws to unscrew.

Reactions: billsr

·
Banned
379 Posts
Does this work well? Been reading about it. Does it void warranty? Where do you get them? Just got a 2019 EX-L. Traded my 2017. Never really felt any issues, but have been thinking about trying this. Thanks for any info.

Rich

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does this work well? Been reading about it. Does it void warranty? Where do you get them? Just got a 2019 EX-L. Traded my 2017. Never really felt any issues, but have been thinking about trying this. Thanks for any info.

Rich
Hi Slipjohn1:
The VC Muzzler works very well, as it prevents the engine from using the "variable cylinder management", which means the engine will run on all 6 cylinders all the time, instead of having the computer dhut down 1, 2, or 3 cylinders when running. With the cylinder management active the dhut down cylinders still move up and down, but there is no spark to them to ignite the fuel. Lots of folks say that this causes the shut down cylinders to foul up. On the Odyssey the motor mounts are electric, I believe, and sometimes when the engine goes into "eco" mode, the engine vibrates and causes dasmage to the mounts, which then need replacing. I have used the VC Muzzler on my 2012 and 2016 Odyssey and had no problems whatsoever.
I just installed it on my Pilot this morning. Some people will disconnect the Muzzler, and put the wiring back to stock when taking their vehicle in for service, but I have never done that and have had no problems.

Go the Odyssey Forum and look up a member named "Verbatim", he is from Canada and sells the VC Muzzler. There are threads regasrding the Muzzler also on the Odyssey Forum, so check them out.

If you need anything else, feel free to contact me. My email: [email protected]; cell phone: 419-631-2913.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a couple of people making similar items, but get the one from Verbatim. Not sure he makes them in his kitchen, but they are very professional looking, and look like Honda's wiring harnesses.

His phone # is:780-982-0173, and like I said, he lives in Canada.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Following the posts regarding the VCM there have been no reports about the 2019 having the same system as the earlier Pilots. It is supposed to be a new set up and not have the problems as the 2016/2017/2018 models.

I was going to get one for my 2019 but after reading various posts have decided not to.

Reactions: billsr

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Slipjohn1:
The VC Muzzler works very well, as it prevents the engine from using the "variable cylinder management", which means the engine will run on all 6 cylinders all the time, instead of having the computer dhut down 1, 2, or 3 cylinders when running. With the cylinder management active the dhut down cylinders still move up and down, but there is no spark to them to ignite the fuel. Lots of folks say that this causes the shut down cylinders to foul up. On the Odyssey the motor mounts are electric, I believe, and sometimes when the engine goes into "eco" mode, the engine vibrates and causes dasmage to the mounts, which then need replacing. I have used the VC Muzzler on my 2012 and 2016 Odyssey and had no problems whatsoever.
I just installed it on my Pilot this morning. Some people will disconnect the Muzzler, and put the wiring back to stock when taking their vehicle in for service, but I have never done that and have had no problems.

Go the Odyssey Forum and look up a member named "Verbatim", he is from Canada and sells the VC Muzzler. There are threads regasrding the Muzzler also on the Odyssey Forum, so check them out.

If you need anything else, feel free to contact me. My email: [email protected]; cell phone: 419-631-2913.
Hey billsr, just one correction on what you wrote about "there is no spark to them to ignite the fuel." The point of the Direct Injection (In relationship to this subject) is so that the fuel can be shut off to each cylinder individually. If you were still dumping fuel into the cylinder and just shutting off the spark plug, there wouldn't be any fuel savings which is the whole point of VCM.

"Variable Cylinder Management shuts off the valves and completely halts fuel supply to the cylinders, providing you with the fuel economy ratings of a smaller displacement engine while simultaneously emitting less CO2."
Source: https://www.allannotthonda.com/blog/what-is-honda-variable-cylinder-management/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey billsr, just one correction on what you wrote about "there is no spark to them to ignite the fuel." The point of the Direct Injection (In relationship to this subject) is so that the fuel can be shut off to each cylinder individually. If you were still dumping fuel into the cylinder and just shutting off the spark plug, there wouldn't be any fuel savings which is the whole point of VCM.

"Variable Cylinder Management shuts off the valves and completely halts fuel supply to the cylinders, providing you with the fuel economy ratings of a smaller displacement engine while simultaneously emitting less CO2."
Source: https://www.allannotthonda.com/blog/what-is-honda-variable-cylinder-management/
You're right. I forgot that the valves are closed on the shut down cylinders.
I wonder what Honda did with the 2019 Pilot engine, where the Muzzler isn't needed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You're right. I forgot that the valves are closed on the shut down cylinders.
I wonder what Honda did with the 2019 Pilot engine, where the Muzzler isn't needed.
I am not sure, this was the first that I came across the statement that it was different. It is still listed as using VCM so I am not sure what changed if anything. I did find one person said that Honda changed the VCM in 2015 so that it cycled through the cylinders every 30 seconds so no one cylinder was shut down for more than 30 seconds at a time. If they did change something, I would assume it was something along these lines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not sure, this was the first that I came across the statement that it was different. It is still listed as using VCM so I am not sure what changed if anything. I did find one person said that Honda changed the VCM in 2015 so that it cycled through the cylinders every 30 seconds so no one cylinder was shut down for more than 30 seconds at a time. If they did change something, I would assume it was something along these lines.
Hmmm, interesting. Since the engine is supposed to be the same for the Pilot and Odyssey, it should affect the Odyssey too. but I haven't heard any discussion about it on that Forum. All I know is that after installing the Muzzler on my 16 Odyssey, which had about 25 miles on it at the time, I had no problems with the engine and it ran very well. We usually got around 24/25 mpg on our trips too.When I traded it in on the Pilot, it had a little over 48,000 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
175 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. Since the engine is supposed to be the same for the Pilot and Odyssey, it should affect the Odyssey too. but I haven't heard any discussion about it on that Forum. All I know is that after installing the Muzzler on my 16 Odyssey, which had about 25 miles on it at the time, I had no problems with the engine and it ran very well. We usually got around 24/25 mpg on our trips too.When I traded it in on the Pilot, it had a little over 48,000 miles on the odometer.
You have to remember that the engine in the 2018+ Odyssey and the 2016+ Pilot is different than the 2011-2017 Odyssey and 2009-2015 Pilot. https://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/02/20150213-pilot.html

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
175 Posts
Following the posts regarding the VCM there have been no reports about the 2019 having the same system as the earlier Pilots. It is supposed to be a new set up and not have the problems as the 2016/2017/2018 models.

I was going to get one for my 2019 but after reading various posts have decided not to.
Where have you read "real" information about the 2019 VCM being different than the 2017-2018? As far as I have read, the 2016-2019 have the same VCM system which is not supposed to have the problems as the previous system in the 2009-2015 Pilots.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where have you read "real" information about the 2019 VCM being different than the 2017-2018? As far as I have read, the 2016-2019 have the same VCM system which is not supposed to have the problems as the previous system in the 2009-2015 Pilots.
2016-19 are the same. Others in this thread are spreading misinformation and spending time and money "fixing" an issue that does not exist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts