Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2005 pilot, with 160k miles. The owner said the timing belt has been done, but I now suspect it hasnt (he said the serpentine belt was done too but recently discovered it wasnt.)

It may be a stupid question but is there anyway to check? Should I bite the bullet and just get it done in case?

Any info appreciated! Cheers!

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Just bought a 2005 pilot, with 160k miles. The owner said the timing belt has been done, but I now suspect it hasnt (he said the serpentine belt was done too but recently discovered it wasnt.)

It may be a stupid question but is there anyway to check? Should I bite the bullet and just get it done in case?

Any info appreciated! Cheers!
Are you saying you may have 160k miles on the original belt? Yes, in this case the belt will be very worn.
I would still question the previous owner. When and where the work was performed? Did you lie to me?

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX A Spec; 2020 Acura TLX A Spec; 2006 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
19 Posts
A couple of thoughts from an Acura employee.
1- ask what dealership previous owner had work done. Take the VIN and ask a service advisor to look up maintenance history.
2- pull a CarFax report and see what work reports there. Most all dealerships report work on Carfax. Fewer mom and pop shops report, so it's not completely comprehensive. If Joe Blow mechanic did it in his garage you may never verify.
3- Aisin (tb manufacturer) provides a smaller sticker to place in engine bay with date of replacement. It's worth grabbing a flashlight and looking. My technician put it on the front left side if engine bay.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So he said it was done by a friend, so no sticker, no service record... He seems trust worthy enough though, I called him back up and asked if he lied and he was adamant that it had been done. So theres no way to check if its been done by going in and physically looking?

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I would pull the belt’s upper cover and have a look.
.., and snap some photos to post here. If it's a 160k belt, it will be evident.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
526 Posts
So he said it was done by a friend, so no sticker, no service record... He seems trust worthy enough though, I called him back up and asked if he lied and he was adamant that it had been done. So theres no way to check if its been done by going in and physically looking?
Since a "friend" did the work, the only way to verify would be ..... the seller shows you the receipt for purchase of the parts....(proof of purchase by any means ) ... otherwise...

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
It’s not the sellers job to calm you down because you don’t trust them. Either you do or you don’t. If you are nervous the only way to calm that is to have it replaced. Otherwise drive the car and enjoy it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Is "timing belt" something that WILL ALWAYS APPEAR on a CARFAX report if done by Certified Honda Repair Shops ?

mentions of Serpentine Belt... but not of Timing Belt being replaced

this report specifically list Timing Belt being replaced

Many other CARFAX reports just list : Drive belt(s) replaced
would those "include" Timing Belt being replaced ? or would Timing Belt ALWAYS BE LISTED SEPARATELY ?

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX A Spec; 2020 Acura TLX A Spec; 2006 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
19 Posts
Although I can't speak for Carfax, dealerships submit information from the work order to CF. If a CF report says serpentine belt was replaced, I would in no way believe the TB was replaced on that service. It all depends on what the dealership / repair facility reports. I look at fifty CF's a day. If it doesn't say timing belt, I assume the negative. It's unfortunately not an exact science.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Since a "friend" did the work, the only way to verify would be ..... the seller shows you the receipt for purchase of the parts....(proof of purchase by any means ) ... otherwise...
This.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts