Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up ours on 7/6. Have yet to see one on the road. Someone on my street in Brookline owns an LX in the same color - silver. We have an EX-L and the grey interior is not as dark as I feared.

Our first impressions are entirely favorable. Much quieter than our Odyssey EX was. Much better sound. Drives a little stiff, but has Honda road feel generally. Easy to parallel park, with good visibility out back and you can feel where the rear end is (unlike the Odyssey).

The nooks for storage eat up stuff. All our maps fit in just one side pocket. Wife is driving up to Maine on Th to pick up kiddies to wash them between camp sessions, so we put the cargo liner in - bought from Tim at hondacuraworld - which was simple. She'll find out more how it rides on dirt washboard roads.

I only wish the stereo could be turned on or off from the wheel. The reach is long, so I use the wheel controls almost exclusively.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Congrats Jonnyk !

Any particular reason for giving up the Odyssey EX and getting the Pilot EX ? Was it just because you wanted an SUV with 4WD ? Let us know what do you think of the interior space in the Pilot compared to the Ody.

Stero - same comment as well that you cannot turn it off from the steering wheel. But no big deal, really.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We got rid of our Odyssey for three reasons. First, it's a 4 passenger vehicle with the rear seat folded. With two kids, we could barely squeeze in a friend. Second, it's way too long for Boston. In the suburbs, where all parking is angle, length isn't a big deal. Here, it's all parallel parking and the Odyssey is not only over 201 inches but you can't sense where the rear bumper is. Third, the auto doors are a pain. Our kids have grown a lot in the last three years and they don't want to have to wait for those slow and heavy things to open or close. And always the beeping when you forget to shift into park.

I also didn't want to own those door motors. The doors need a lot of maintenance attention, which is usually just lube and adjusting set screws, but the motor replacement is expensive.

My wife actually considered the Mazda MPV, which drives like a car, but then I found out about the Pilot end of last year. And Mazda put auto doors on the 2002 MPV anyway!

The Odyssey is a great van. The difference in storage is real. The well where the rear seat goes is great. The Pilot takes a 4 by 6 sheet, but the Odyssey takes a 4 by 8. And since the floor is lower, the stuff doesn't stack high. Great highway, but it steers like a truck, with a lot of body lean.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts