Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally got the Bora spacers installed today...

1.25fronts
1” rears

Went for a drive and felt great! No vibration, everything felt stock.

I went and washed it and put some tire dressing to get an idea of how bad debris getting kicked up might be but honestly didn’t splash anymore than when the wheels were hideously tucked in, so very happy about that as I didn’t really want to put mud guards on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So finally got the Bora spacers installed today...

1.25fronts
1” rears

Went for a drive and felt great! No vibration, everything felt stock.

I went and washed it and put some tire dressing to get an idea of how bad debris getting kicked up might be but honestly didn’t splash anymore than when the wheels were hideously tucked in, so very happy about that as I didn’t really want to put mud guards on.

what are they for

·
Registered
21 SE awd in ssm
13 Posts
looks to be in exactly the right place. wondering if the added track would improve stability any.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
what are they for
Quality wheel spacers properly installed can solve fitment issues and tire rubbing when running larger than stock tires and/or wheels with different offsets. I prefer wheel spacers that bolt onto the hub as the thin wheel spacers that do not probably caused all wheel spacers to have a bad reputation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you install the spacers yourself? Can you describe the install?
I installed myself and is a super easy job. The only reason it took me a bit longer than it should have is because my hydraulic jack couldn’t lift the Pilot high enough to get the wheels off so needed to use the manual spare tire jack!

I bought a torque wrench to properly torque the spacer lugs onto the hub, however, I bought a 22mm 1/2 drive socket (that’s the size of the stock Pilot lugs) but the lugs provided with the spacers were 19mm. As the wheel was off and the car was jacked, I couldn’t go and get the 19mm socket for the torque wrench so just used a regular wrench. I will say that even though I didn’t torque, they went on super tight and had no vibration issues whatsoever so I’m confident they are on safely! I plan to re-tighten everything this weekend with the correct torque settings just for added peace of mind but honestly don’t even think I need to.

I was hesitant on my first couple of drives but the Pilot does feel solid and even slightly tracky which was unexpected!

I can’t re-iterate enough to go with Bora made out of MotorSport Tech. Quality, American made Hub centric, bolt on spacers. Don’t even look at the cheap EBay alternatives. For a couple hundred bucks, these are totally worth it.

I like the look of the Pilot SE but the wheel thing after a couple weeks started giving me buyer remorse! These spacers have completely changed the look of the vehicle and really is how Honda should be manufacturing out the door. A simple wheel offset change is all it would take.

Even my dad who is an engineer who helped put the Space X rocket in orbit last summer and was down at NASA last week agreed and said the wheels don’t look like an afterthought now! He also gave the seal of approval on safety so I feel extra good about them!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quality wheel spacers properly installed can solve fitment issues and tire rubbing when running larger than stock tires and/or wheels with different offsets. I prefer wheel spacers that bolt onto the hub as the thin wheel spacers that do not probably caused all wheel spacers to have a bad reputation.
Exactly.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I installed myself and is a super easy job. The only reason it took me a bit longer than it should have is because my hydraulic jack couldn’t lift the Pilot high enough to get the wheels off so needed to use the manual spare tire jack!

I bought a torque wrench to properly torque the spacer lugs onto the hub, however, I bought a 22mm 1/2 drive socket (that’s the size of the stock Pilot lugs) but the lugs provided with the spacers were 19mm. As the wheel was off and the car was jacked, I couldn’t go and get the 19mm socket for the torque wrench so just used a regular wrench. I will say that even though I didn’t torque, they went on super tight and had no vibration issues whatsoever so I’m confident they are on safely! I plan to re-tighten everything this weekend with the correct torque settings just for added peace of mind but honestly don’t even think I need to.

I was hesitant on my first couple of drives but the Pilot does feel solid and even slightly tracky which was unexpected!

I can’t re-iterate enough to go with Bora made out of MotorSport Tech. Quality, American made Hub centric, bolt on spacers. Don’t even look at the cheap EBay alternatives. For a couple hundred bucks, these are totally worth it.

I like the look of the Pilot SE but the wheel thing after a couple weeks started giving me buyer remorse! These spacers have completely changed the look of the vehicle and really is how Honda should be manufacturing out the door. A simple wheel offset change is all it would take.

Even my dad who is an engineer who helped put the Space X rocket in orbit last summer and was down at NASA last week agreed and said the wheels don’t look like an afterthought now! He also gave the seal of approval on safety so I feel extra good about them!
On my Jeep the 1.5" SpiderTrax wheel spacers recommended using red lock-tite and a specific torque spec. Routine torque spec rechecks during tire rotations were set a tad lower in order to not break the lock-tite.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Definitely check the torque after a couple weeks. Then check them once or twice a year.

Reactions: Simon’sSpecialE

·
Registered
91 Posts
Definitely check the torque after a couple weeks. Then check them once or twice a year.
You should 100% check the 19mm spacer lug torque in a week or so. This is so essential. As for checking once or twice a year, do this simply when you or a mechanic does a tire rotation, at a minimum 1x a year. Taking the wheels off to test torque on the spacer lugs means having to retorque and test the wheel lugs again too.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
That black window trim looks so much better.

Spacer thoughts. What puts more stress on the studs and assemblies, good bolted spacers like you got or different wheels with different offset that puts the tires/wheels in same position out?

I like the look. How much were the spacers? Did you have to grind the factory studs any for clearance?

I don't overall fit but you could check with Bora or other about other lug nuts for the spacers. My Accord has rims from my Hyundai but they needed to be the open pass through not the covered acorn. Hyundai lugs are 21mm, Accord is 19mm. I bought new 19mm version pass through so I didn't need to worry about not having correct lug wrench. I still need to get a couple more of the extending lug wrench and that comes with different sizes. You could leave it as is and get a better quality breaker bar and a 19mm and 22mm Impact socket for it.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
That black window trim looks so much better.

Spacer thoughts. What puts more stress on the studs and assemblies, good bolted spacers like you got or different wheels with different offset that puts the tires/wheels in same position out?

I like the look. How much were the spacers? Did you have to grind the factory studs any for clearance?

I don't overall fit but you could check with Bora or other about other lug nuts for the spacers. My Accord has rims from my Hyundai but they needed to be the open pass through not the covered acorn. Hyundai lugs are 21mm, Accord is 19mm. I bought new 19mm version pass through so I didn't need to worry about not having correct lug wrench. I still need to get a couple more of the extending lug wrench and that comes with different sizes. You could leave it as is and get a better quality breaker bar and a 19mm and 22mm Impact socket for it.
Assuming most of the variables are the same (end offset, weight, center of gravity, etc.) the moment/torque on the lug nuts, bearings, etc. and the shear forces would be the same. The spacers add an additional 5 potential failure points per wheel but if it is quality parts the risk of failure is extremely low. If you are going with different wheels with an offset that pushes them out or if you are looking to push the stock wheels farther out, I wouldn't hesitate to do either.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi There, a question about how your pilot drives now: Do you notice any "tracking" issues? What i mean is, many folks that modify wheel width have noticed that their cars feel less planted at highway speeds. This gets blamed on the "grooves" of wear all standard cars make into highways, or on the closer ratio of wheelbase to width.

Have you noticed any difference in how stable your pilot rides at high speed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi There, a question about how your pilot drives now: Do you notice any "tracking" issues? What i mean is, many folks that modify wheel width have noticed that their cars feel less planted at highway speeds. This gets blamed on the "grooves" of wear all standard cars make into highways, or on the closer ratio of wheelbase to width.

Have you noticed any difference in how stable your pilot rides at high speed?
I have a long commute (80 miles each way) on I-78 and 287 in NJ. Both roads are newly paved and traffic moves quickly. I probably keep between 75-80mph with occasional jaunt up to 90ish...no issues at all. Pilot feels great.
As to the tracking and grooves, both roads are fairly major trucking routes so I don’t know that the grooves are that consistent. NJ gets a bad rep for its roads but if you’re outside the immediate NYC area, I find the roads to be fantastic, especially backroads out in Hunterdon county where I live.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
@Simon’sSpecialE - Did you get the black Anodized Aluminum or the Steel version?

Why the .25" more on the fronts? What/where did you measure to check to see that size versus the rear?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts