Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I recently replaced my front strut with a KYB strut and strut mount. Now each morning when pulling out of the parking space, there is a boing noise coming for the right and left side when turning the steering wheel. This happens each time after the car is sitting for a while. Also when driving for at least 1 hr there is also a creaking noise coming from the front end. I have replaced the sway bar bushings, sway bar end links. Please help.

·
Super Moderator
4,744 Posts
I recently replaced my front strut with a KYB strut and strut mount. Now each morning when pulling out of the parking space, there is a boing noise coming for the right and left side when turning the steering wheel. This happens each time after the car is sitting for a while. Also when driving for at least 1 hr there is also a creaking noise coming from the front end. I have replaced the sway bar bushings, sway bar end links.
For the boing noise check to make sure the spring is seated correctly, top strut nut and upper mounting bolts are tightened to spec. For the creaking noise spray some WD40 or equivalent on a suspected bushing to try isolating the source.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the boing noise check to make sure the spring is seated correctly, top strut nut and upper mounting bolts are tightened to spec. For the creaking noise spray some WD40 or equivalent on a suspected bushing to try isolating the source.
My mechanic did it twice and also applied extra grease to o the strut mount. As for the tightening of the bolts not sure if it is not to spec. Would the creaking coming from the control arm bushing? I can’t see anything when one with it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Kyb struts are great, kyb strut bearings are not. The boing noise is most likely the bearings not being smooth motion when you turn the wheel. Touch the spring while someone turns the steering wheel, it should be smooth, not notchy.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The other thing is that the actual bearing can be installed upside down, where it binds. I forget whether I had that issue on my Highlander or Pilot, as I used KYB struts and bearings for both vehicles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello All
I recently replaced my front strut with a KYB strut and strut mount. Now each morning when pulling out of the parking space, there is a boing noise coming for the right and left side when turning the steering wheel. This happens each time after the car is sitting for a while. Also when driving for at least 1 hr there is also a creaking noise coming from the front end. I have replaced the sway bar bushings, sway bar end links. Please help.
Lol, exactly the same issue. I already put 20k miles on it. Did you replace the whole block with springs or left original springs? Because that might be the issue; it looks like they are not compatible with Kyb bearings.
Please let me know if you find original struts or will do full assembled Kyb.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have gotten the car back. They changed the KYB strut mount to OEM strut mount now the boing noise are gone. As for the creaking noise they said it maybe the ball joint at the passenger side. Will I need to change out the driver side also?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, exactly the same issue. I already put 20k miles on it. Did you replace the whole block with springs or left original springs? Because that might be the issue; it looks like they are not compatible with Kyb bearings.
Please let me know if you find original struts or will do full assembled Kyb.
The new struts are KYB and the strut mount and bearing are OEM. I have also reuse the OEM spring. Now no more boing sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts