Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to buy a 2019 Pilot in Steel Sapphire until I find effective BSM. I could (option A) just stick the OEM molding about six inches higher, but since the molding is curved at the rear, I don't think that will work.

Option B is to buy straighter OEM molding that is made or an Accord or Odyssey and use it, but no vehicle except the Pilot comes in Steel Sapphire. Therefore I would have to paint the Accord or Ody molding.

Option C is aftermarket BSM, and I've seen one at sporting.com that will work, but I'd rather have OEM.

Has anyone with a 2016 or newer Pilot installed any BSM higher than where the OEM goes, which it totally ineffective? If so, would you please post a picture or two? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't want to buy a 2019 Pilot in Steel Sapphire until I find effective BSM. I could (option A) just stick the OEM molding about six inches higher, but since the molding is curved at the rear, I don't think that will work.

Option B is to buy straighter OEM molding that is made or an Accord or Odyssey and use it, but no vehicle except the Pilot comes in Steel Sapphire. Therefore I would have to paint the Accord or Ody molding.

Option C is aftermarket BSM, and I've seen one at sporting.com that will work, but I'd rather have OEM.

Has anyone with a 2016 or newer Pilot installed any BSM higher than where the OEM goes, which it totally ineffective? If so, would you please post a picture or two? Thanks!!!

Or, option D, is install as specified by Honda. I initially had the same thought that they were spec’d too low to work. But I installed them as specified on both our 2019 Pilot Elite and 2018 Ridgeline RTLE about a year ago. Absolutely no issues on either car. Good luck on whatever option you decide! Cheers!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or, option D, is install as specified by Honda. I initially had the same thought that they were spec’d too low to work. But I installed them as specified on both our 2019 Pilot Elite and 2018 Ridgeline RTLE about a year ago. Absolutely no issues on either car. Good luck on whatever option you decide! Cheers!
Thanks, but I gotta have some type of BSM higher up. I can't buy a $35,000 vehicle and not protect it from the worthless people out there who just don't care about anything but themselves.

Does anyone have a picture or two of anything you did BSM-wise that was not placing the OEM BSM in the specified place?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to share that I bought the oem molding with the hope that I could apply it much higher for real ding protection, but it will not work. The molding is curved too much in the wrong direction for the concave lower body, so up higher where the body shape is convex, the molding tape would be in a strain trying to stay attached. So, I'll have to buy aftermarket, and hope I can return the oem molding. Or, maybe I use both for real protection :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I had the molding installed from the dealer and then removed because they are idiots but for the few days I had it I tested it up against my wife subaru and a few of the neighbors cars. When putting the doors up again mine it really seemed like it would do nothing for protection especially in the back in regards to small sedan doors, By passed the molding all together. I was planning on getting them and placing them higher myself or going the aftermarket route but so far have not. I usually just try park away from people now to try avoid the problem. Of course doesn't always work out that way.

Would be interested to see what other people have done aswell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts