Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Get the 2018 Outback 3.6R Touring.
New Pilots/Passports will always be around, but you'll be forever regretting letting that 6-cylinder Subaru slip by.
Interesting....

I'd always ignored Subaru based on my youthfull eperience with a 1.3 liter Citreon GSA.....It was as flat a flat four and it's engine had zero torque. Alfa Romeo Alfasud had the same problem.

But last fall while looking for a car for my son and drove a Subaru Impreza. It's not a turbo, and could do with the 2.5 not 2.0 engine, but I am so impressed by its handling..... To me the Dad, its a perfect New England Starter car. Its got auto, carplay, AWD. He's not picky about his wheels and very happy.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Interesting....

I'd always ignored Subaru based on my youthfull eperience with a 1.3 liter Citreon GSA.....It was as flat a flat four and it's engine had zero torque. Alfa Romeo Alfasud had the same problem.

But last fall while looking for a car for my son and drove a Subaru Impreza. It's not a turbo, and could do with the 2.5 not 2.0 engine, but I am so impressed by its handling..... To me the Dad, its a perfect New England Starter car. Its got auto, carplay, AWD. He's not picky about his wheels and very happy.
Plus the only other manufacturer to use a Flat 6 right now is... Porsche! No denying the sporting lineage!

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Interesting....

The Impreza is the least expensive new vehicle with AWD.
Depending upon budget constraints, I might have opted to spend the few extra $K for a Legacy, which has the larger 2.5L engine (in the lower trim versions).
Mid-size cars typically have lower insurance costs than compacts, so that would partially compensate for the higher acquisition price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a ‘20 Touring. Two decade Cali-trained driver (aggressive) we live in Colorado Springs and head into the Rockies several times a month. Absolutely love the Pilot, fully loaded with 6 adult passengers and Yakima rack loaded up with gear it takes twisty mountain roads in stride, often in sport mode. Get it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm of no help with the body roll issue since I live in New Orleans but I wanted to mention the console's capacity to hold crap! Now I'm an expert on keeping crap in my car!!! In an effort to keep it under control, I purchased two cool dividers from Amazon. One for the console and one for the glove compartment. Now I'm able to put crap in each little cubby instead of piling it all up on itself. And the glove box dealy is cool because it has a shelf for my owners manual and then I have a few other cubbies for stuff like my DMB CD's (even though I have Sirius and he has his own channel I want to keep them handy - just in case) it also holds the lug nut lock, a cubby for masks, and a bunch of other stuff I just threw in there BUT I can lay my eyes on it since it's not all one huge heap and pile now! Just wanted to throw my two cents in! PS Cute Pup!!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
Sure, let's play the "sell my house and buy a car" game...
There was a "Top Gear" episode or something with Tanner Foust that was best family hauler. They had to change a flat tire, fill cargo area and race to something. I don't recall the full but Tanner in the Cayenne won. Others failed as not even having a spare tire.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
There was a "Top Gear" episode or something with Tanner Foust that was best family hauler. They had to change a flat tire, fill cargo area and race to something. I don't recall the full but Tanner in the Cayenne won. Others failed as not even having a spare tire.
Was that the one where Rutledge brought an Odyssey and Adam had an AMG wagon?

Because if so, I'd gladly drive the Bisimoto Odyssey with a manual conversion and enough turbocharging that the grill couldn't even be installed and is now just an intercooler...

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have a 21 EX-L and I dislike it very much. The ventilation system is very noisy. We spent near $2500 to get a decent sound system and quiet the interior. The interior materials are cheap looking. The car oft times jerks the steering wheel and gives a "brake" flash when it "sees" cars in oncoming lanes on corners thinking you're going to drive into them. I almost got rear ended when I had the cruise control on and came up on a car in the left turn lane; the car slammed on the brakes and the guy behind me just about rear ended me. If I had it to do over again, I would buy another Grand Cherokee or the Kia.

We test drove a Kia and liked it very much but it had the gigantic moonroof and we don't want to bake our dogs.

The Pilot does get a little better mileage than our Grand Cherokee did and the transmission is smoother.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
In the market for a new car and just can’t get the 2021 Pilot off my mind (likely Special Edition since I absolutely HATE the idea of paying for a TV/DVD system - if anything shows how stale the Pilot is, it’s that!). I currently drive an F-150 with 6’5” bed, so very accustomed to lugging around a large vehicle that sits very high. However, I’m also a former Outback owner (loved that car in our Alaska winters and terrain) and can get a great deal on an impeccably-maintained 2018 Outback 3.6R Touring. I’m quite familiar with how the Outbacks handle winding mountain roads - 7 miles x 2 of legit mountain driving is a daily event in my life - so am a bit fearful to fork over decent cash (at 0%, heck yes!) for a Pilot with unknown performance in this environment.

What can anyone tell me about the severity of the Pilot’s body roll on twisty roads? I know the thing drives beautifully on highways and through town, which is the other 2/3rds of my commute, but I’d like to get a sense of what the mountain portion might be like. I imagine it’ll be significantly worse than the shorter Outback, despite that the Outback has much more ground clearance. (Or do I have the physics wrong?) Admittedly, the Pilot’s body roll cannot be worse than my giant truck’s and it’s not like body roll has ever stopped me from bombing down hill in that thing!

Other things I should consider as I pick between the 2018 Outback and 2021 Pilot? (Don’t suggest I get a Passport; veto.) It’ll be my daily driver and fur baby + gear hauler. Our family has another big truck so size for lugging crap isn’t a major factor driving which of the two I choose, but more space in another car is never a bad thing. It’s sort of dumb, but I’m obsessed with the Pilot’s large slide-top center console and tons and tons of pockets and places for crap; I’m the type that tends to live out of my car and you can never be too prepared! The Outback is a known quantity, a tested beast through snow and winter and mountains, MUCH more luxe and pretty on the inside than the Pilot (not that I’m against simple and functional at all), cheaper, and I’m just a little sentimental about Subarus.

What to do…
How about a Toyota Highlander?

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
Was that the one where Rutledge brought an Odyssey and Adam had an AMG wagon?

Because if so, I'd gladly drive the Bisimoto Odyssey with a manual conversion and enough turbocharging that the grill couldn't even be installed and is now just an intercooler...

View attachment 151141
Yea that was the one. I remember Tanner trying to catch up saying damn that thing is fast.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My '17 2WD pilot handles a little more ponderously than the '12 Outback it replaced (with rear sway bar mod), which is no big surprise as it's a bigger, heavier and taller car. Still handles pretty good though, it's sprung on the stiffer end of the SUV spectrum. I didn't have any issues with the CVT, in fact I rather liked it as it was always in the "right gear" in corners, but the 2.5l flat four couldn't get out of its own way. Good economy, but really anaemic. I really like the V6 in the Pilot, loads of power when you need it and pretty good economy when you don't.

Stock it was quieter than the Outback and I've done alot of work to make it quieter still. Bit more wind noise than the Outback, though maybe that's because I can hear it now :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I guess I won't be much help in this thread lol 🤠, being from south Texas. Calling @Steffo 😁👍
Regarding body roll, I would say that it significantly was reduced when I mounted the new summer wheels (20", quite wide tires with stiffer side walls). It increased the road noise, of course, but now the car turns when i want it to instead of waiting for the tires to be "deformed" first.
For winter use, I run on Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 SUV which are fantastic in snow, slushy and icy conditions. I'm finished sliding around on non studded winter tires. It was OK when I was younger and didn't have a family with me in the car, but now I appreciate the extra grip and confidence from the Hakkapeliitta tires. The Finns know what they are doing!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Well the OP hasn't returned, I guess she got the rare Outback 3.6R.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts