Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may be the first to have major body damage to my new Pilot. I was on vacation in DE and decided to take my kids to the water park (which I'll leave nameless) for some fun. Well, it turned out to be the day from hell!! I saw a note on my windshield atop the water slide. After sliding down I decided to walk out and see what the note was about. Before I could even make it to the vehicle, I noticed my hood had about 12 huge dents in it. It was from a fence that the fencing company had not secured. I had only had "her" for 4 days...needless to say I was a bit pi$$ed!!! I just returned from my vacation today and called my insurance company. Since its Saturday none of the body shops are open....but I'll be at several Monday morning. It never fails, I have have the worst luck with new vehicles. I was worried about door dings...I had no idea I would come home needing a new hood. Anyone else had any major body damage as of yet?? or just the annoying door ding? Just curious as too what kind a damage others have had. Not that I or anyone enjoys hearing about it, but just curious.

·
Registered
698 Posts
js2ss2 said:
I think I may be the first to have major body damage to my new Pilot. ...
I'm soooooooooooooooo sorry to hear about your Pilot. (uploading sympathy)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bummer.:(

Maybe your insurance company will allow you swap out for a new hood. If not, demand that they go after the fencing company for the hood replacement. Don't take any crap from your insurer.

With only 4 days, the color should not be a problem. I got a door replacement for my four year old 1979 Accord and the color did not match.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After putting air in my rear tire, I backed out of the space very close to a white pole I didn't see, and scraped the back driver's door and handle and the part over the wheel. I've only had the car 2 weeks. At least you didn't injure your car yourself!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shortly before picking up our new Pilot at the dealership, it was hit in the front by a delivery truck requiring a new bumper. We got the bumper replaced and added the lower trim for future protection, the paint job was excellent. The lower trim proved itself on our recent vacation while following a truck towing a speedboat. Without warning a seat from the boat tumbled into my lane and all we could do was watch helplessly as we hit it. The lower trim now has some white scuff marks which I may just leave unless someone has ideas on restoring the nice black finish on the plastic.

We just completed a 2,000 mile vacation over the Rockies and the car was joy to drive. We were definitely moving and the steep moutain passes were taken effortlessly (in comparison to our previous Explorer), however at the start of the trip we quickly realized that you do not go into a bend at high speed. :cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
Backed into

My wife got backed into in a parking lot last week. She was backing out of her spot and the lady behind her backed out of her spot with out looking,.......and bam. Three good scratches and some white paint from her car ended up on our back bumper. Thank god she hit the bumper thats plastic, and not a metal fender. You really can't see it that well, however I know it's there so it still sucks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
SOOOOOOO sorry to hear about your "incident"! Your brand of luck sounds incredibly familiar. I am actually very surprised that something like that has not happened to me yet!!
Good luck with the repairs!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Door Ding

I got a door ding at 800 Miles. :mad:

After driving a Saturn for 10 years, this is new to me. What can they do to fix a door ding? No scratch, just a small dent. What can be done and what does it cost?

Why don't more companies use the "plastic" side panels? The Saturn looks like new with 133k miles on it. Doesn't run like new unfortunately.

-pilotdude

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: Door Ding

pilotdude said:
After driving a Saturn for 10 years, this is new to me.
Why don't more companies use the "plastic" side panels?
It's going to be new to me, too. We are still keeping the Saturn, which has been a trouble-free car. I got t-boned by a spinning BMW on an icy road once, into the driver door. I heard a "pop-pop" then pulled over. Not a scratch. The guy in the BMW was scratching his head (and thanking his lucky stars, methinks)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Door dings

I live in Wisconsin, and here we have a place called Dent Doctors. They remove dents without pounding or pulling. I don't know exactly how they do it but it has to do with radio waves. They scan this sensor over the dent and some kind of vibration pulls the dent out. No bondo or painting or anything. It only takes like 20 min. Here, it costs $75 dollars for the first and $15 dollars for every dent after. I would look in your yellow pages under dent removal or auto body. Ask around I'm sure you have in your city.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Re: Door dings

mugen660 said:
I would look in your yellow pages under dent removal or auto body. Ask around I'm sure you have in your city.
Don't they also call it paintless dent removal? I believe I read that once. Could be wrong though. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!!

Thanks for all the sympathy fellow Piloteers, and sorry to hear about others misfortunes. I went and got an estimate on my hood damage yesterday and it totaled 1163.00. That included a new hood, taking care of the ding on the fender and painting the hood and blending the two front fenders. Glad I'm not paying for it.....but I'd rather not have any paint job on a brand new vehicle. But I guess better now than later, at least the paint will all fade together. I can't get into the body shop until the 3rd of Sept, but have been a busy summer....ding, bang, boom!!! I'll drop a note back when I pick her up and let you know how it turned out. As for the paintless dent removal. The door have good systems now pull those nasty door dings out. They say it works best on a flat surface obviously, but if its in a crease in the sheet metal its recommended you get real body work done. Well gotta run!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Believe it or not, it is very easy to have a dent of any size taken out. We have a detail shop that takes care of anything from stains on seats to dents in metal. With tools that look similar to bent hangers, the dent is taken out without any holes, holes, etc....In fact, I had a customers small door ding on the crease (2002 Accord SE) taken out in less then half hour with no indication a ding was ever made!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the same experience too 3 years ago. My brand new 99 accord v6 got a big ding on the passenger door. It's break my heart :( . I was on vacation in VA. I saw the ding after I park my car in a shopping area.

Anyway, I going to look after my new 03 pilot now. I will try to park as far as possible when I stop at any shopping area.

I'm felt sorry too to all the member getting ding/damages on the new Pilot. :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ya know,

If more people would file claims against people's insurance company when they ding your doors, people would be more careful. I am always very careful not to ding doors when I enter or exit my cars.

I have actually had a woman slam open her door into my car while I was sitting in it then proceed to act like nothing happened. I got out and confronted her showing her the dent and asking if she wanted to pay cash or should I contact her insurance company. She acted like she hadn't done anything and refused to cooperate so I got her make, model and tag number. I bet she had a BIG wake-up call when her insurance company demanded she pay them her deductable after they cut me a check. I bet she is more careful now.

I have considered having cards printed with some sort of notice like:

I was careful not to ding your doors when I exited my car. Please have the same respect for my doors. I recorded your cars color, make, model and license plate number. If there are any dings on my door when I return, you can expect a claim against your insurance.

Of course, this would only be left on cars that have lots of dings, door damage or obvious evidence that the owner often slams their door into others. Might not hold up in court but it would be hard to defend against a ding from a white car door when I have recorded your white car parked next to me and a red one was there when I returned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts