Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone on here do a lot of towing with their Pilot? I’ve got 105k on my 2014 ex-l 2wd with OEM Tran cooler installed tow a 2k pound boat(Entire Weight Setup) every weekend plus some vacations so I’ve got about 15k towing miles. Change the Trans fluid out every other oil change, always change by 10% reminder, Vc Muzzler installed. Just curious if anyone who had more how their transmission is still holding up. Thanks y’all!

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Anyone on here do a lot of towing with their Pilot? I’ve got 105k on my 2wd with OEM Tran cooler installed tow a 2k pound boat(Entire Weight Setup) every weekend plus some vacations so I’ve got about 15k towing miles. Change the Trans fluid out every other oil change, always change by 10% reminder, Vc Muzzler installed. Just curious if anyone who had more how their transmission is still holding up. Thanks y’all!
My only advice would be to use Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF in that 5-speed transmission. Providing a firmer shift, it should lessen the amount of clutch material on your drain plug magnet each D&F, prolonging the life of your transmission. This fluid is also less susceptible to heat than DW-1.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only advice would be to use Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF in that 5-speed transmission. Providing a firmer shift, it should lessen the amount of clutch material on your drain plug magnet each D&F, prolonging the life of your transmission. This fluid is also less susceptible to heat than DW-1.
I needed the fluid changed anyway so I just changed it out with maxlife. Do you have to do it a couple of times so it’s almost 100% maxlife or is it fine to have the new maxlife mix with the old fluid that didn’t drain out of the torque converter?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I needed the fluid changed anyway so I just changed it out with maxlife. Do you have to do it a couple of times so it’s almost 100% maxlife or is it fine to have the new maxlife mix with the old fluid that didn’t drain out of the torque converter?
My judgment call for a 3 x drain and fill would be based on the condition of the old fluid or if I was trying to solve a transmission issue. Mixing the 2 fluids is no issue. If the fluid was on the brown side, I'd drive a few miles, warming the engine and transmission up to operating temperature, then do a 2nd. A 3rd would be done after a couple a few 100 miles (no rule).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts