Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, new to the honda forum.. Been a long time BMW forum user, been driving them since getting my license over a decade ago. I just picked up a Pilot for my wife, and so far we're enjoying it. Im sorting out a few issues with suspension, and a few belt squeaks.. but hopefully will resolve them soon.

I do almost all my mechanic work in the garage, my cars never see the shop unless it's for new tires, alignments, or smog checks. I really hope to keep the pilot long term, it fits our needs very well. Married with two kids, and having many other family members close-by, that third row is necessary.

First car ever owned ('94 325is):

Next BMW ('89 325i M50 Swapped):

Current Garage Queen ('01 525iT):

Wife's car until the Pilot came ('03 525i):

New Pilot '07 EX (Needs Better Pics, I know):

Hope to learn a lot from you guys!

Cheers!

-Usama

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Welcome Usama!

I'm a bigtime older BMW fan, can't say I care too much for the newer stuff. The E39 5 series and the E46 3 series are to me the epitome of german car design. Clean, not flashy but always looked premium. Plus the M5 and M3 from those generations were the ultimate representation of the brand, ultimate driving machines without being race-car stiff like future generations.

I'm not a huge E36 fan but yours looks tastefully done. I REALLY like your E30, very nicely done. And you know my feelings on the E39s already, the wagon being special.

Clearly the Pilot will be well within your skills. It should be a great family vehicle for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Thanks Cinto!! Glad to see someone familiar with the BMW scene around here! I love them, they run and feel so nice (When they DO run loll).

I'd say I'm with you on your preferences, almost spot on. E39 is the last generation where I believe BMW had a great balance between sport, comfort, style, and performance. I've owned 3 e39's so far, and I do enjoy them.

My e36 was my pride and joy.. I learned a lot about cars from the e36, given only about 20% of that car was original by the time I sold it lmao.
My e30 was such a blast, especially after the M50 swap. Once you own an e30, you suddenly get an itch to own one again. I plan on getting another one after buying a house and doing a proper build (I was in college when I had the e30, which means low budget projects loll).

Looking at your vehicle list, I'm surprised a big BMW admirer like you didn't own one yet! What's the hold up!

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Trust me I understand the college budgets... then I went straight into married then kids then house... now I'm stuck waiting for my wife to graduate from PA school so I can finally have the money to have some toys!

My problem is I don't like any of the newer BMWs nearly as much and buying an older one is too much of a financial risk at this point. When my youngest child is in a booster seat (~4 years) I want to get something that is not a faux minivan. I fear the E39s I love so much will just be that much older, but we will see!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're not too expensive to be honest, as great as the e39's and e46's are, they are pretty much being sold for free. I'm having a hard time selling my silver one to be honest because they're just not worth too much. If I didn't have a shortage of parking space, I'd keep it because it runs and drives great. Pretty unfortunate that cars that were once sold for 35-50k from the dealer, are now being let go for $2k and they ride just fine lol.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
They're not too expensive to be honest, as great as the e39's and e46's are, they are pretty much being sold for free. I'm having a hard time selling my silver one to be honest because they're just not worth too much. If I didn't have a shortage of parking space, I'd keep it because it runs and drives great. Pretty unfortunate that cars that were once sold for 35-50k from the dealer, are now being let go for $2k and they ride just fine lol.
I can't feel too bad for those cars, the German manufacturers earned that reputation over the years. There's a reason 200,000 mile Hondas and Toyotas still bring $5k+.

And while I totally agree with you that I could get a reasonable BMW relatively cheap, it's the cost of parts and the risk of things breaking that scare me... Besides, I've got my '61 Impala I can spend money on, it only goes up in value while I drive and maintain it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't feel too bad for those cars, the German manufacturers earned that reputation over the years. There's a reason 200,000 mile Hondas and Toyotas still bring $5k+.

And while I totally agree with you that I could get a reasonable BMW relatively cheap, it's the cost of parts and the risk of things breaking that scare me... Besides, I've got my '61 Impala I can spend money on, it only goes up in value while I drive and maintain it!
Haha, that's true. Can't beat that!

But to be honest, as funny as it sounds.. BMW's have been relatively reliable to be. At least the cars I've had.

I sold my e36 at 215k miles and ran like a top. Only sold it because I got into an accident and didn't want to do the paint work that was necessary.
I got my e30 with a broken odometer that last recorded 213k miles, and that m20 engine was running strong! Swapped that out with the m50 swap, otherwise that m20 could've kept going
My wagon only really let me down when the fuel pump crapped out on me, but luckily I was down the street from home, so limped it to the garage. (Currently has 145k miles)
Silver e39 has it's issues, but it's actually my "beater" car, if you will.. Takes me all around town and does the job.(Currently has (165k miles)

All in all, as long as you do it's regular maintenance, they'll treat you right. Like any car, there are some weak points, and BMW's weak point is the cooling system. Just keep extra close attention to the cooling system and they should last a while. My wife (who is no car guru by any means) noticed the difference between german engineering, and japanese engineering. They just don't compare.

All that aside, I am here for a reason afterall.. Honda's reputation for reliability and cheap parts. Since this is my wife's car, I wanted that peace of mind that the car won't suddenly act up and leave my wife stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Haha, that's true. Can't beat that!

But to be honest, as funny as it sounds.. BMW's have been relatively reliable to be. At least the cars I've had.

I sold my e36 at 215k miles and ran like a top. Only sold it because I got into an accident and didn't want to do the paint work that was necessary.
I got my e30 with a broken odometer that last recorded 213k miles, and that m20 engine was running strong! Swapped that out with the m50 swap, otherwise that m20 could've kept going
My wagon only really let me down when the fuel pump crapped out on me, but luckily I was down the street from home, so limped it to the garage. (Currently has 145k miles)
Silver e39 has it's issues, but it's actually my "beater" car, if you will.. Takes me all around town and does the job.(Currently has (165k miles)

All in all, as long as you do it's regular maintenance, they'll treat you right. Like any car, there are some weak points, and BMW's weak point is the cooling system. Just keep extra close attention to the cooling system and they should last a while. My wife (who is no car guru by any means) noticed the difference between german engineering, and japanese engineering. They just don't compare.

All that aside, I am here for a reason afterall.. Honda's reputation for reliability and cheap parts. Since this is my wife's car, I wanted that peace of mind that the car won't suddenly act up and leave my wife stranded on the side of the road.
My grandmother has an '01 325 convertible... it has 150k and all of it's problems have centered around the convertible top (I think she's spent at least $5k on that top over the years)... otherwise it's been pretty good to her. But the ML320 in my signature was my grandfather's, bought new off the lot and after 3 transmissions and a transfer case it came to me. I got 2 years and 30k out of it but the check engine light was on even though nothing was wrong and couldn't get it to pass emissions.

I will always admit, they are excellent to drive. The Germans know how to tune a suspension and steering system to make the vehicle feel like it's milled from a solid billet of steel.

But I am here for the same reason you are... my wife needs reliable transportation. The Traverse is my 3 row because I can handle it's little issues that pop up and it has more space and more features for much less money because of those issues. When my wife graduates from PA school and she makes good money we will see what she wants to do, we could get a couple year old luxury German 3 row (X7 or GLS) for the same price as a new MDX.

I don't remember as much on my mom's '04 Pilot, but the one thing I have to say about our '15 vs. the '14 Traverse, my mom's '18 GLC300 and my grandmothers '18 X1 is the switchgear in the Pilot is SOOOO much nicer to use. Sure, the GLC has a silver finish that is very attractive, but the Honda has by far the least amount of play in the switches and the best "click" out of all of them. To me, stuff like that goes a long way in perceived quality and longevity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts