Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2017 EX for a couple months now and am noticing some odd behavior with the Bluetooth hooking up to my phone. Wondering if anyone has any insight!

I connect my phone to the audio unit for phone calls and music. It'll always show a good Bluetooth connection and works great for the phone call functions. But it seems to randomly decide whether it'll work for music. Yes, I've set the audio source correctly. Sometimes it will be connected and work for a phone call, but then right after the phone call the music will play out of my phone speaker while the phone is still connected via Bluetooth to the audio unit. I've tried to troubleshoot this using several different audio players on my phone and the behavior doesn't change. Other times it will connect and work great for both phone calls and music. I don't quite understand how the phone can be connected and work for some functions, but not others. Seems to me that either the two devices are connected, or they aren't... but the Pilot appears to at random decide whether it'll play music from my phone via Bluetooth. It just started working again yesterday after probably 3 weeks of not working, and I haven't changed anything on the settings. The previous owner had mentioned having this issue, and I have zero problem connecting my phone to a variety of other Bluetooth devices. Is there some setting I'm missing, some way to update the software on the Pilot's audio player, or is this perhaps a common problem?

First world problem for sure, just seems like odd behavior.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,313 Posts
So many phone software updates create incompatible protocols for connections to car head units.,
Then an update to the update appears and corrects all their mistakes and bingo it works.
but your scenario-seems more than that.
is your Warranty still bumper to bumper?

·
Registered
744 Posts
See this:

Music streaming, call handling, contact access are different protocols. (which is why they are usually separate items for each paired device on your phone)

Occasionally, your phone may achieve an HFP (phone) handshake, but A2DP might time out. Do double-check on your phone that your Honda HandsFree is indeed enabled for all protocols. I think once or twice I had my phone not wanting to talk to my Alpine head unit - turned out audio protocol somehow got disabled on the phone. If it is enabled, try toggling it off an on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See this:

Music streaming, call handling, contact access are different protocols. (which is why they are usually separate items for each paired device on your phone)

Occasionally, your phone may achieve an HFP (phone) handshake, but A2DP might time out. Do double-check on your phone that your Honda HandsFree is indeed enabled for all protocols. I think once or twice I had my phone not wanting to talk to my Alpine head unit - turned out audio protocol somehow got disabled on the phone. If it is enabled, try toggling it off an on.
Fascinating. I had no idea. Bluetooth is an enigma to me.

Looks like HandsFreeLink is enabled for all options - Phone calls, media audio, contact sharing, and text messages.

Makes me think the issue is specifically with the media audio protocol. Not sure if there's a fix for this other than dealing with it. It's not a huge hassle to restart the phone, which so far seems to reset the protocol for media audio.

No warranty left.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts