Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an iPhone6+. When connected via bluetooth and using HFL to make or receive a call, the person on the other end of the call sounds like they're fading in and out when they talk. Yet, I sound fine to them with no fading.

They also report that they hear the very last portion of their spoken sentence as an echo. Like it's echoing off my car speakers, back into the HF microphone. This didn't happen in my other car also HFL (not a Honda).

Does anyone else experience this or know of a means of mitigating it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: Not resolved.

I've still got no solution to the HFL problem I am having. But after doing some experimentation, I can reproduce the issue on demand. It has to do with ambient road/engine/cabin noise through the built-in HFL microphone.

Here are the steps I took this morning.

1. I had a person on a land line call me on HFL (Iphone 6).

2. I was parked with engine off and accessory on. No issue with sound quality via HFL on MY end. Clear as a bell. Other party heard me clearly, but they also heard a faint delay/echo of their last syllable when pausing speaking. If I turned MY volume down, the echo went away. The echo is not a big deal for me.

3. I started the engine and the sound on my end became slightly muffled/garbled. Like a crappy PA system at a train station. Not engine interference. Other party reported me somewhat difficult to understand, and was barely able to discern what I was saying.

4. I started driving. Up to highway speed 65 mph. I could hear the other party, but could not understand one word of what they were saying. The output on my end was again, muffled, garbled and this time totally unintelligible. The other party could hear me but said it sounded like I was in a wind storm.

5. As I slowed to a stop at the end of the off-ramp, the sound quality on my end got better, but not as good as when parked with the engine off. Other party reported an improvement as well.

To eliminate the cell phone and cell service as being the cause, I repeated the above steps on the same roadways, in the same order but this time with the Iphone resting on my right leg using it's built-in speaker phone . NOT HFL.

My findings from this test were perfect. I could hear every word the other party was saying and they could hear me fine and clear throughout the complete test with no noise or echo under all circumstances.

Now I'll throw a "cog-in-the-works". I happened to be at a Honda dealer at the time of these tests buying another car. As a favor to me, they let me take a brand new 2020 EX-L out and test my Iphone with it. My results were the same as above. So clearly there is something not working properly in ALL the 2020 EX-L systems (and maybe more). I just find it difficult to believe that I am the only one either WITH this problem, or the only one who finds it objectionable. Is there a setting for this? Someone, somewhere in the forum mentioned something about clipping some microphone wires to kill the ANC. I am unfamiliar with this. Any thoughts?

I truly believe this is an issue with the microphone and noise cancelling feature of the HFL system. It SHOULD be able to be fixed. Either by software or hardware. I find it hard to believe that ALL Hondas with these head units have this issue. This is 2020. Bluetooth has been around for quite a while. It has matured. This issue combined with a few other issues that aggravate me are enough to make me consider trading the car for a different manufacturer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts