Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took our 2014 EX-L into the dealership today because of a recent problem we started having with HandsFree and talking on the phone.

People that we were talking to on the phone could hear us just fine. But when they talked, the static was pretty bad to the point we could not hear/understand them. This happens using multiple iPhones so it is unlikely an iPhone problem. And the problem happens 100% of the time

As luck would have it, the dealer claims they could not reproduce the problem. They did a factory reset of the radio which appears, for now, to have made things better, but I am a bit skeptical.

The dealer claims the only true way to fix this would be to replace the "head unit" which is likely about 1/2 the cost of the car at this point so that is likely not going to happen.

Anyone else run into anything like this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Similar experience with my iPhone XS (iOS 14.1) in 2013 pilot touring I bought a couple months ago...my phone works fine in other cars...

I was getting a lot of static and strange tones when making Bluetooth handsfree calls when the other person was speaking.

I was able to improve my sound quality by setting the Bluetooth connection volume on the iPhone to max..use the volume rocker on your phone while you’re in a call and set it to max volume.

this helped tremendously and hope it does the same for you.

if this doesn’t help...maybe the Bluetooth module is bad and you can buy a used one? Maybe clean the mic in the front and back with rubbing alcohol and compressed air to ensure the ANC (active noise cancelling) system isn’t interfering...

·
Registered
2015 Honda Pilot EX-L
7 Posts
Similar experience but I did replace the Head Unit in my 2015 Honda Pilot. I think that has helped but it might be something with the wiring as well.....

·
Registered
744 Posts
EXL-Nav or non-Nav?

Nav: 24P connector D(next to main connector) pins 5 and 16 are your telephone sound from HFL unit. Pin 17 is shield for those. (Music playing via Bluetooth comes over other wires)
Non-Nav: 20P connector D (bottom middle of audio unit) pins 9 and 19 are telephone sound input. Pin 10 is shield.

The HFL unit itself is near car floor in the center console on the passenger side. Kinda hard to get to it without taking the passenger seat out. It has a 32P connector. Pins 13 and 29 are phone sound output, pin 30 is shield.

It could be a faulty HFL unit: part # 39770-SZA-A12
It could be something wrong with wiring - can use multimeter to check proper continuity and shielding between the pins I listed.
Or indeed could be a problem with audio unit.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Touring Modern Steel Metallic
6 Posts
Interesting issue. I've gone through the whole MOST wiring issues where the audio stopped working, poor reception, cracking and popping noise and the infotainment system went out. Eventually, the dealer got that all corrected but afterward, we discovered that our HF Bluetooth was messed up. Ours is the exact opposite of your issue. Incoming calls are crystal clear, it's when we make a Hands-free call from our iPhones that the person on the other end hears static, crackling and our voices are garbled. Completely unusable feature.
The first attempt has been to replace the amp in the back of the car. That did nothing. Now after almost 3 weeks of waiting for Honda, the dealer has ordered the Headend unit to replace the entire console. We'll see if that resolves the problem. I'm not convinced that with all the tearing up of a less than one-year-old car, that something in the fix didn't break something else.
I'm fortunate that all of my repairs are being done under warranty. If this doesn't resolve the issue after all that we've had done over the last 3 months, I'm inclined to try to get Honda to do a buyback or we start Lemon Law proceedings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts