Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Pilot 2008
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I sometimes use my car ( 60 K miles) as my office as I work in the field and I live in the gulf ( very hot weather).
Since a month Ive been noticing a blue smoke when Im turning on the car for more than 15 min with or without AC and without moving ( IDLE) and it only happens if I press the gas pedal a little hard. It never happens when im driving normally. And I have some kind of vibration (hesitation) when im not going hard on the gas pedal. And last oil change oil was a little going down than normal.
Went to a mechanic to check for any leak and I found a little one coming from the drain plug. So I ordered a new plug , and another greese leak from the outboard boot of the right axle. So I ordered that too. Then I did little research and I figured out that I need to change timing belts, water pump, Turpentine belt with all the accessories required ( bolts, oil seals, idler pulleys, tensioner... etc) and the front brakes disks. All parts will be genuinely ordered.
Transmission oil changed by previous owner and I have no check engine or any concerns. I just want to keep the lady running and happy.

Please, if you can suggest any other thing to order because I will go once for a mechanic for the whole party.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,820 Posts
If your Pilot is AWD (has a rear differential) then you might want to change the fluid (use only VTM-4 fluid from Honda or Acura).
If AWD you might want to change the transfer case fluid as well.

·
Registered
Honda Pilot 2008
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your Pilot is AWD (has a rear differential) then you might want to change the fluid (use only VTM-4 fluid from Honda or Acura).
If AWD you might want to change the transfer case fluid as well.
Though I rarely use the vtm4, but why not I will change both fluids for sure , Thank you!

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
198 Posts
blue smoke not good. assuming its coming from the exhaust? engines burn oil from leaking past the piston rings or through the valve stem seals. a good mechanic can verify these conditions with various tests. I wouldn't invest any money into the vehicle until the engine oil issue is resolved unless you don't mind burning a little oil

·
Registered
Honda Pilot 2008
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blue smoke not good. assuming its coming from the exhaust? engines burn oil from leaking past the piston rings or through the valve stem seals. a good mechanic can verify these conditions with various tests. I wouldn't invest any money into the vehicle until the engine oil issue is resolved unless you don't mind burning a little oil
you are totally right, but I tried a couple of times to run full gas pedal to see the blue smoke it didn't happen, it only comes out when Idling for more than 15 min then strong gas pedal. I researched the entire Google and I couldnt find a reason.But still I will try to check the issue with the mechanic. Or wait any response from someone who had that issue before.
Thank you!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
Have you considered changing your PCV valve and cleaning your EGR ports/passages, and cleaning or replacing you EGR valve?

·
Registered
Honda Pilot 2008
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you considered changing your PCV valve and cleaning your EGR ports/passages, and cleaning or replacing you EGR valve?
PCV valve changed last week, and for EGR I think I have to educate myself more about it, thank you

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
PCV valve changed last week, and for EGR I think I have to educate myself more about it, thank you
This might help you if not do it yourself, at least understand it a little better.

·
Registered
Honda Pilot 2008
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This might help you if not do it yourself, at least understand it a little better.

Thank you so much, Is there a way to know if I need to replace the EGR? or better just to replace it? because I dont have any check engine codes yet

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I suppose you could try cleaning the EGR vavle, ports and passages first and see how that goes, since it doesn't cost anything except time. Personally, I'd just change the EGR valve for a new OEM one and be done with it. They aren't crazy expensive.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I suppose you could try cleaning the EGR vavle, ports and passages first and see how that goes, since it doesn't cost anything except time. Personally, I'd just change the EGR valve for a new OEM one and be done with it. They aren't crazy expensive.
Not crazy expensive but crazy difference in prices depening on where you shop, ranging from $37 to $170, with eBay, not the OEM dealer, being the most expensive. Depending on how dirty it was, for $126 OEM, I'd give a $1.29 can of carb cleaner and cleaning the 'ole college try. I'd rather have a cleaned OEM valve than a new $37 after market one and the $127 in my pocket.

·
Registered
Honda Pilot 2008
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not crazy expensive but crazy difference in prices depening on where you shop, ranging from $37 to $170, with eBay, not the OEM dealer, being the most expensive. Depending on how dirty it was, for $126 OEM, I'd give a $1.29 can of carb cleaner and cleaning the 'ole college try. I'd rather have a cleaned OEM valve than a new $37 after market one and the $127 in my pocket.

View attachment 144934
View attachment 144935
View attachment 144936
thank u so much again, but I went to the mechanic and we decided to change it better because it has been in the car since 2008, and the oem for the 2008 is for 210 bucks the cheapest price and I already ordered it. hopefully this will fix my issues.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Blue smoke only at startup is often an issue caused by worn valve guide seals. The seals leak a small bit of oil into the combustion chamber(s) When the engine is off. The oil will quickly burn off when the vehicle is started. Replacing the seals stops the problem. I have never replaced the seals on a Honda J engine. On a Ford F 150 they were changed without having to pull the head. If you change them it is also the perfect time to do a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
thank u so much again, but I went to the mechanic and we decided to change it better because it has been in the car since 2008, and the oem for the 2008 is for 210 bucks the cheapest price and I already ordered it. hopefully this will fix my issues.
Good deal ....here's hoping it does!🤞

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,820 Posts
If you clean the EGR valve I recommend you purchase the gasket as the old one might crumble apart and be unusable.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
Honda Pilot 2008
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Blue smoke only at startup is often an issue caused by worn valve guide seals. The seals leak a small bit of oil into the combustion chamber(s) When the engine is off. The oil will quickly burn off when the vehicle is started. Replacing the seals stops the problem. I have never replaced the seals on a Honda J engine. On a Ford F 150 they were changed without having to pull the head. If you change them it is also the perfect time to do a valve adjustment.
the issue that its not happening when I start up , just when engine is on and Idle then I press the gas pedal hard.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
111 Posts
Hello guys,
I sometimes use my car ( 60 K miles) as my office as I work in the field and I live in the gulf ( very hot weather).
Since a month Ive been noticing a blue smoke when Im turning on the car for more than 15 min with or without AC and without moving ( IDLE) and it only happens if I press the gas pedal a little hard. It never happens when im driving normally. And I have some kind of vibration (hesitation) when im not going hard on the gas pedal. And last oil change oil was a little going down than normal.
Went to a mechanic to check for any leak and I found a little one coming from the drain plug. So I ordered a new plug , and another greese leak from the outboard boot of the right axle. So I ordered that too. Then I did little research and I figured out that I need to change timing belts, water pump, Turpentine belt with all the accessories required ( bolts, oil seals, idler pulleys, tensioner... etc) and the front brakes disks. All parts will be genuinely ordered.
Transmission oil changed by previous owner and I have no check engine or any concerns. I just want to keep the lady running and happy.

Please, if you can suggest any other thing to order because I will go once for a mechanic for the whole party. a

Thank you so much.
Blue smoke out your exhaust on start up is typically a sign of bad valve seals. At 60k, no honda should be having this problem, but extended idling and low quality oil could mean your engine is sludged up and top end lubrication has been bad for a while. No simple fix here

1 - 19 of 19 Posts