Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising down the highway about 75 mph and BANG!!! There goes the rear tire. At initial inspection anyway, it looks like some road debris did it in, but not sure.

BTW, Sam's Club fixes tires for FREE, even if you did not buy the tires there. Not bad...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Holy Mackerel! When the tire blew, how did the car behave? Did you have to perform any emergency maneuvers because it became unstable at such high speed? Also, was the puncture/hole in the treads or on the wall of the tire? We're taking off for our holidays in the Rockies tomorrow and this kind of story just scares the crap out of me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
MG Pilot said:
I was cruising down the highway about 75 mph and BANG!!!
hope everything is fine....

p.s. slow down ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
MG Pilot said:
I was cruising down the highway about 75 mph and BANG!!! There goes the rear tire. At initial inspection anyway, it looks like some road debris did it in, but not sure.

BTW, Sam's Club fixes tires for FREE, even if you did not buy the tires there. Not bad...
Was the tire fixable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RipRocK said:
Holy Mackerel! When the tire blew, how did the car behave? Did you have to perform any emergency maneuvers because it became unstable at such high speed? Also, was the puncture/hole in the treads or on the wall of the tire? We're taking off for our holidays in the Rockies tomorrow and this kind of story just scares the crap out of me.
The pucture happened between the tread actually. It just blew and I could hear it driving on the flat tire. No problems with stopping the vehicle safely.

And yes, Sam's Club was able to fix the tire. We'll see what happens. Ironically enough, we're leaving for vacation in the Canadian Rockies as well.

Are you going to Banff, BTW???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
RipRocK said:
Holy Mackerel! When the tire blew, how did the car behave? Did you have to perform any emergency maneuvers because it became unstable at such high speed? Also, was the puncture/hole in the treads or on the wall of the tire? We're taking off for our holidays in the Rockies tomorrow and this kind of story just scares the crap out of me.
Yeah if it happens, pray for a rear tire blow out. I don't think a front one would be much fun.

P.S. Keep both hands on the wheel and you'll be better off if it does happen. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Watch out for that Ford Exploder ahead of you too. Last Saturday I was coming down I17 north of Phoenix at 75MPH, and an Exploder 100meters ahead of me had the left front tire suddenly disintegrate. Pieces were flying all over. Luckily, he kept it under control and I was able to avoid all the debris on the road.

Amazingly enough, an hour later, coming through Phoenix, a pickup ahead of me had the same thing happen, tread suddenly peeled off his left front tire. Must be something to do with the heat, ~113 in Phoenix that day. There were cars pulled over everywhere with tire and cooling system problems. My Pilot was cool, though, it seems to laugh at heat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
RLumpy said:
Watch out for that Ford Exploder ahead of you too. Last Saturday I was coming down I17 north of Phoenix at 75MPH, and an Exploder 100meters ahead of me had the left front tire suddenly disintegrate. Pieces were flying all over. Luckily, he kept it under control and I was able to avoid all the debris on the road.

Amazingly enough, an hour later, coming through Phoenix, a pickup ahead of me had the same thing happen, tread suddenly peeled off his left front tire. Must be something to do with the heat, ~113 in Phoenix that day. There were cars pulled over everywhere with tire and cooling system problems. My Pilot was cool, though, it seems to laugh at heat.
Sounds like the typical reaction a tire has to being under inflated and/or overloaded. Both cause heat which causes the failure. A hot day just speeds up the process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
MG Pilot said:
The pucture happened between the tread actually. It just blew and I could hear it driving on the flat tire. No problems with stopping the vehicle safely.

And yes, Sam's Club was able to fix the tire. We'll see what happens. Ironically enough, we're leaving for vacation in the Canadian Rockies as well.

Are you going to Banff, BTW???
Glad that you were able to get it fixed in time for your vacation. We'll be passing through Banff, actually to go just on the other side of the provincial border to a place called Fairmont. Radium's nearby there too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
RLumpy said:

Amazingly enough, an hour later, coming through Phoenix, a pickup ahead of me had the same thing happen, tread suddenly peeled off his left front tire. Must be something to do with the heat, ~113 in Phoenix that day. There were cars pulled over everywhere with tire and cooling system problems. My Pilot was cool, though, it seems to laugh at heat.
113?! :eek: poor baby. And where is my jacket? I still need it in the morning or evening. During daytime, around 80ish
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top