Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, not too technical here, but the gas loaded shock absorber on my drivers side rear wheel/tire failed over the weekend. I heard some very loud "thumps" from the rear of the vehicle today.

Finally, after crawling around down there for a while, noticed grease EVERYWHERE on the shock, the spring and the inside of the tire. Looks like it leaked and is not wokring as it should.

I'm due for the first oil change anyway so we'll see how quickly the dealer can get me in.

We were up north all weekend on lots of gravel roads, but no potholes or large bumps to worry about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leaking shock

Just flipped 3,000 miles yesterday.

Called the dealer and he claimed it was not a huge deal. Taking it in Friday to have it replaced.

Also doing the oil change at that point.....close enough to 3,750 for me. Why make two trips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Hey Bo, yeah Luke...

That's crazy, I plan on taking my SS on a few mild back roads this weekend to test it out. I hope I don't do any damage like that.

How wide was that stream you jumped with the General?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
bengelking said:
Sorry, not too technical here, but the gas loaded shock absorber on my drivers side rear wheel/tire failed over the weekend. I heard some very loud "thumps" from the rear of the vehicle today.

Finally, after crawling around down there for a while, noticed grease EVERYWHERE on the shock, the spring and the inside of the tire. Looks like it leaked and is not wokring as it should.

I'm due for the first oil change anyway so we'll see how quickly the dealer can get me in.

We were up north all weekend on lots of gravel roads, but no potholes or large bumps to worry about.
I just got my Pilot yesterday and today noticed oil dripping off the bottom of the shock on the drivers side rear wheel. Is this the same thing you saw? Do shock absorbers have oil in them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
shocks

Yes they do, even the gas charged units. It is the oil that is primarily responsible for the dampening effect that shock absorbers provide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Re: Hey Bo, yeah Luke...

banningjr said:
That's crazy, I plan on taking my SS on a few mild back roads this weekend to test it out. I hope I don't do any damage like that.

How wide was that stream you jumped with the General?
Hey banningjr, maybe you'll run into Daisy out there!!! :10:

After many trips into the woods............no leaking struts here!

YEEEEEEE HAAAWWWWWW!!!!:21:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Shock leaking oil - Service says no problem

I made an appointment and took in my Pilot to have them check the leaking oil that drips off the bottom of the rear shock. My wife took it in and the service told her that they saw no leak and therefore could not trace the problem. They also said the shock is working fine - which as far as I can tell is true.

However, it continues to leak on my garage floor and I have about 6 spots on the floor of various sizes by the rear wheel.

I really don't want it to continue to leak - that to me is an indication of trouble and is wrecking my garage floor. Any suggestions on how to get resolution when they "can't find anything wrong"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
strut

My dealer informed me it was a strut causing the problem. I've got grease all over the bottom half of the strut and the spring.

Also, one day, it leaked grease all over my driveway. About a 1 foot diameter circle.

Going in this Monday for a new one. They said they would also give me a free oil change since it stained the driveway. Whatever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Same Problem, drivers rear

Just went on a camping trip and went down some bumpy roads. Got back home, and the drivers rear shock is blown and lost all its fluid on my garage floor. I was told the shocks are on back order and that the Civic is having the same problem. (10,000 miles on my pilot) O well, I hope it was just a set of defective units because it would be a major design flaw to have these things going out all the time...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Re: Shock leaking oil - Service says no problem

dsmith said:
I made an appointment and took in my Pilot to have them check the leaking oil that drips off the bottom of the rear shock. My wife took it in and the service told her that they saw no leak and therefore could not trace the problem. They also said the shock is working fine - which as far as I can tell is true.

However, it continues to leak on my garage floor and I have about 6 spots on the floor of various sizes by the rear wheel.

I really don't want it to continue to leak - that to me is an indication of trouble and is wrecking my garage floor. Any suggestions on how to get resolution when they "can't find anything wrong"?
I hate the, "if we can't duplicate it, we won't look at it" policy with these Honda dealers. But I'm told, it's the same at other dealers as well. Anyway, what I'd do is, place a cardboard or a few layers of papertowels where the drips end up on the floor and after you have a few of them on it, take it to the dealer and show the drips and tell them that this is what you got overnight.

Tell them that it doesn't happen everynight and that sometimes it'll go for a few days before the drips occur again. But you're concerned with the possible gradual damage the shock is incurring from these intermitten drips and you're willing to leave your Pilot at the dealer for as long as it takes, as long as they give you a courtesy car. If they tell you that they don't want to do that, then tell them since you have evidence of the drips taking place, you want it recorded in the service history that you brought in the evidence of the fluid drips and did request to have the shock inspected, but was denied.

See what they say. How can it hurt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Got only 500 city and freeway miles on my '04. Now have a leaking rear drivers side strut. It not the main vertical inside the spring but the diagonal that has a leak. Noticed a puddle about the size of a pancake and took a look underneath. Will get it to the dealer this week probably. Should be no big deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Showroom Challenge

I don't have this problem- however if I did I'd be very emphatic that it must be remedied. I've had multiple Hondas with 150++k miles that have never leaked a drop- that is my expectation from Honda.

If your dealer isn't giving this the prompt attention it deserves I'd challenge him to place your Pilot on his showroom floor for a week. Do you think he'd enjoy courting prospective buyers while explaining that the oil spot is "normal shock function"
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top