Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that warm weather is here, I've been running the A/C at top speed a few times lately in my new-to-me 04 EX-L. I've never had a Honda before, but it doesn't seem like the highest 2 speed settings on the A/C blower fan are any different from the 2nd-from-highest setting. Basically the airflow from the ducts and the volume/pitch don't change at all on the top 3 speed settings. Is that an indication that my blower resistor needs to be replaced? Or is the speed difference of the top 3 settings so imperceptible that I'm just fooled into thinking it's the same? The airflow coming out of the vents on the highest blower setting doesn't feel nearly as strong as most other cars I've ridden in. I put a Fram Fresh Breeze cabin filter in there last month when I bought the Pilot, because the original one was pretty cruddy. Perhaps the filter is reducing the flow too much? I even pulled the blower motor out of the housing and ran it through the different speeds while holding it in my hand (carefully!) and still couldn't see, feel, or hear a difference between the top 3 speeds.

·
Registered
365 Posts
remove the blower motor, under the pass. side of the dash. Three screws hold it in & an electrical connector. Good chance its packed with leaves, debris, etc.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you read my last sentence, you'll see that I said I already removed the motor and held it in my hand while testing it. It was completely clear of all debris, and there's nothing around the air filter housing area either, as I completely vacuumed that area out when I changed the filter. The motor just doesn't seem to change speeds regardless of which of the last 3 settings I put the controls at.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, if you set it to draw internal air the fan motor speed is increased. Once the vehicle is cooled you can switch it to exterior cabin air so as to not work the system as hard and the max fan speed will slow.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If memory serves me correctly, if you set it to draw internal air the fan motor speed is increased. Once the vehicle is cooled you can switch it to exterior cabin air so as to not work the system as hard and the max fan speed will slow.
I did my tests on recirc mode, and outside-air mode, and the fan speed was the same in both modes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My gut says that its the fan controls aren't changing voltage, but the downloadable service manual describes using the system self-diagnostics and provides a troubleshooting grid in section 21 that looks applicable to the symptoms you describe. The short direction is

Radiator and A/C condenser fan high speed circuit troubleshooting (see page 21-34)

The link to the SM is in the sticky on the first page of the first-gen sub-forum.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
There are these for an '03 - '04.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts