Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Is your Starlight Silver paint blotchy/uneven?

• YES

Votes: 29 38.7%
  • NO

Votes: 46 61.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Starlight Silver is the most popular color...I know you're out there ;) It's beautiful, however I immediately noticed after driving my Pilot home, my Starlight Silver has a blotchy look. On my doors, my hood, and I'm not sure about the top (I'm short!)
I am wondering how many other SS owners have noticed this.
Don't post until you actually have looked at it in bright sun. It looks like your Pilot is reflecting clouds. This is what I thought I was seeing until I looked on an absolutely clear day, and the "clouds" were still on my Pilot.
:3:

So do you have a blotchy Silver Pilot? Go take a look.

This is exclusively a Silver problem, previously discussed in an old thread that mostly speaks of door jambs, and one member who only received running boards as compensation after all of his hard work contacting rude Honda reps.

I think this IS a big problem. Poor resale and durability is what I'm mostly worried about. I would buy a different color if I could do it over. (or a non-blotchy SS!)

SS PILOT BUYERS BEWARE- REFUSE DELIVERY IF YOU SEE IT.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
mine looks fine

·
Registered
20 Posts
no problem here i just put a coat of wax on it and it looks beautiful :)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Add me to the list of no-problem Silver owners.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Mine is not blotchy, but it is dirty. It's hard to get a good cleaning in with it raining here about 35 of the last 40 days. I do think that the door-frame area of mine is a dull gray or silver, though, whereas the rest of the vehicle has a "brighter" look.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have photos of this, just developed. I will scan them in as soon as I can get my 4 y.o. Dell to recognize my scanner. :3:

I may have made this issue seem more obvious than it is. You have to look pretty close, but it is definitely there on mine.

It looks so far like 1/2 of us have the problem. I have not waxed my Pilot yet, maybe(?) this will help.

Now-where to find ZAINO?-

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I washed the Pilot and looked and looked and looked. The silver on my Pilot seems pretty uniform. I don't see the blotchy look. But maybe it's subject to interpretation of what you considered a blotchy look. Hopefully, your pictures will show it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
234 Posts
Zaino now has online store

Zaino just opened their on-line store and www.zainobros.com is now www.zainostore.com. I placed an order with them last night and everything seemed to work fine.

Given all the great things I have heard, I can't wait to try it on my Starlight Silver (which is currently more dirty than blotchy) :drool:

Now if only the weather would cooperate... :6:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Blotch problem gone with newer Pilots?

Since I'm considering Silver has the color for my Pilot I'm wondering if those of you with the problem have older built Pilots and those of you without it have newer built ones?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Blotch problem gone with newer Pilots?

florida_guy said:
Since I'm considering Silver has the color for my Pilot I'm wondering if those of you with the problem have older built Pilots and those of you without it have newer built ones?
Mine's an early build, no problem other that the dull door frame area.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Blotch problem gone with newer Pilots?

florida_guy said:
mine is 01/03 ....no problem...maybe you can start a poll with date for SS paint problem

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Blotch problem gone with newer Pilots?

ramirami said:

mine is 01/03 ....no problem...maybe you can start a poll with date for SS paint problem
[shudder] Then I risk giving Kemosabe more amo for razzing me about my lousy polling skills. :jester: :bonk:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Blotch problem gone with newer Pilots?

florida_guy said:

[shudder] Then I risk giving Kemosabe more amo for razzing me about my lousy polling skills. :jester: :bonk:
kemo does'nt need any amo for razzing...he is good at it period ;) :p :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: To 74PILOTMOM

74PILOTMOM said:

Thank You!!!
I must add that they (Zaino Bros.) are not really expensive...any advise on what to get? I'm thinkink clay bar definitely, then my eyes glazed over with the rest of the choices-I just want a glossy, protected Pilot. No need for show car quality. What did you get, Yolk?

My SS was built in December BTW.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi 74PILOTMOM,

Based on the posts in this site and at acuramdx.org, I ordered the following:

Clay Bar
ZFX
Z-2
Z-5
Z-6
Z-7
Applicator (free)

I was told that the Z-5 is not really necessary for a SS. However, since I'm going to experiment on my other car (dark green) first, I decided to get the Z-5 since I gather that it is really good for dark colors.

You may also want to check out
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11735&highlight=fieldcrest. There's information there on a sale going on for the 100% pure cotton towels towels recommended for Zaino.

My SS is one month younger...

Good luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Florida_Guy

Regarding the SS color and whether it was only an early build problem; likely not. I think it is more a function of the paint itself. There were many Honda Odyssey owners posting similar complaints about blotchy paint on SS Odys for at least the past two years.

I went ahead and got a SS Odyssey in 2001 (yes, I know, starts to sound like a movie) but I inspected it VERY carefully before taking delivery. It's a nice color but I wonder if down the road, the resale value will be hurt by the "more than a few" blotchy SS vehicles out there.

If silver is the color you want, and given your propensity to keep your vehicles a long time, I'd say stick with what you want. I don't think the silver is any more prone to "aging," it's just the initial paint uniformity to watch for. And silver is one of the best colors for hiding dirt. Just be sure to inspect very carefully before taking delivery, because "blotchy paint" is very difficult to get Honda to do something about after the fact.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Florida_Guy

Bigrob said:
Regarding the SS color and whether it was only an early build problem; likely not. I think it is more a function of the paint itself. ...

And silver is one of the best colors for hiding dirt. Just be sure to inspect very carefully before taking delivery, because "blotchy paint" is very difficult to get Honda to do something about after the fact.
The main reasons that I was thinking Silver was the fact that I read here that is hid dirt the best and it was the most popular. But if the blotchy paint is a problem I will have to reconsider.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sandstone metallic would also hide dirt well and is a color that should age well. Fewer of them around, too. But then again, with some of the characters who have chosen sandstone... that might make you think twice...

right kemo?

Oh boy. I think I'm going to have more than singed eyebrows this time...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts