Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 2004 SS EX-L and was comtemplating adding the alpine cd changer. I need to know if the blitzsafe adapter will work with an 2004 h/u. I think that the h/u is the same as an 2003. Any one add a changer to a 2004 yet?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
pilot04 said:
I ordered a 2004 SS EX-L and was comtemplating adding the alpine cd changer. I need to know if the blitzsafe adapter will work with an 2004 h/u. I think that the h/u is the same as an 2003. Any one add a changer to a 2004 yet?
Yes, the Blitzsafe interfaces work the same on the 2004 as the 2003 head units. The head units are identical.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi Steve:
thanks for the info on the Blitzsafe for cd. What do you think if I am just using an external audio source with RCA's, like a dvd or laptop to feed the in Pilot audio?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
HDTVEE said:
Hi Steve:
thanks for the info on the Blitzsafe for cd. What do you think if I am just using an external audio source with RCA's, like a dvd or laptop to feed the in Pilot audio?
If you are planning on using these devices to play aduio through the head unit, I would install the Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.1
and route RCA cables to the optimal location for your device. The soud quality should be great.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Blitzsafe adapter on a 2004 h/u?

SteveLuman said:
Yes, the Blitzsafe interfaces work the same on the 2004 as the 2003 head units. The head units are identical.
Steve, thanks for the confirmation on an 04 h/u! From reading the other posts in this forum. I plan to go with an Alpine CHA-S634 with the Blitzsafe HON/ALP DMX V.1D and Alpine KCA-130B Ai-Net to M-Bus cable. I think that should be all I need to do this job. Are there any newer model cd changers that would fit this job as well? I didn't want to miss out on the latest trends.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks Steve foir the info.
I am also going to get a Delphi XM or Roadie and will feed that unit to H.U.
Thanks, Cary

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Blitzsafe adapter on a 2004 h/u?

pilot04 said:
Steve, thanks for the confirmation on an 04 h/u! From reading the other posts in this forum. I plan to go with an Alpine CHA-S634 with the Blitzsafe HON/ALP DMX V.1D and Alpine KCA-130B Ai-Net to M-Bus cable. I think that should be all I need to do this job. Are there any newer model cd changers that would fit this job as well? I didn't want to miss out on the latest trends.
To make the installation easier under the Driver's seat, I purchased the OEM CD Changer Attachment Kit (Part # 08B26-S9V-100). It can be purchaed from tim @ hondacuraworld for $ 76.70 (includes shipping). That should be all that you need for this job...except the RCA cables for the other device.

Just follow these instructions for a relatively easy install. Just substitute the Interface, KCA-130B and Alpine changer cable for the OEM M-Bus cable on the instructions.

Once you remove the audio panel, I would remove all plugs from the Head Unit and set it aside. Place a small towel along the head unit opening and start routing the cables.

Remove the driver's center console cover. Plug the KCA-130B and the RCA Cables into the Blitzsafe interface. Plug the changer cable into the KCA-130B and start routing it down behind the left side of the head unit along with the RCA cables. You should be able to reach your hand up behind the head unit and grab the cables. Pull the cables down to remove as much slack as possible without unplugging them or the KCA-130B.

Make the slit on the carpet area and route the cable through it. Plug the cable into the changer and install the changer under the seat. It will be easier to plug it in before you mount the changer than after. Route the RCA cables to the location of your choice.

Replace the head unit plugs and test the changer. If you place the control box of the interface as far to the rear left of the head unit, the head unit will mount back flush.

Once the Changer & RCA cables work, secure all wiring, replace the head unit mounting screws, replace the driver's center console cover and audio panel...and enjoy.

Remember to set the switch to "2" on the front of the Changer before plugging it in. It will not work correctly if it is set to "1".

I haven't heard of a new changer by Alpine, but I imagine that one will come out within a year. I'm pretty sure that they are going to come out with a smaller XM tuner unit.

·
Registered
495 Posts
HDTVEE said:
... What do you think if I am just using an external audio source with RCA's, like a dvd or laptop to feed the in Pilot audio?
I use the HON-AUX adapter, which is similar to the BlitzSafe product. The sound is great.

Here's something to look out for - if you plan to use an inverter to supply power for your laptop, you may pick up a lot of static. This happened to me after I had everything hooked up. With the inverter turned off, everything sounds fine.

I don't know if this interference is caused by my HON-AUX adapter not having enough shielding -or- my 400 watt Vector Maxx inverter just giving off too much garbage. I have seen another thread where someone uses an inverter with a laptop and didn't complain.

Hope this info helps. Good luck with your install.

·
Registered
261 Posts
THANKS!

By the way..how do you become a "senior member"?:) :) :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
HDTVEE said:
THANKS!

By the way..how do you become a "senior member"?:) :) :)
You bet. The membership level is simply based on the total number of posts you've made. Something like:

1-29 = Junior Member
30-99 = Member
100-299 = Senior Member
300-up = Super Senior Member

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the detailed instructions and attchment kit for the changer Steve! It looks like it is achievable by an amateur like myself:4:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Better yet, use a Blitzsafe adapter to patch an iPod into your system! 10,000 songs to go, no more CD swapping! What is that, about 750 CDs?

That's my plan. (Got the iPod - now I need the Pilot!)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have heard about the ipods in the car but am not familiar with it. 10K is impressive but since we are only listening to ~1K song range, I should be able to fit them as mp3 on the 6 cds. I don't think I want to bite off more than I can chew for now:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does anyone know if these adapters will work with the 04 Pilot EX-RES?

I know I already have RCA jacks in the rear console, but they don't do me any good because I want to use my MP3 player while my kids are watching movies so I need jacks that are upfront and connected to the head unit via the CD Changer interface rather than using the AUX/DVD mode. Just not sure if that will work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
max_501 said:

I know I already have RCA jacks in the rear console, but they don't do me any good because I want to use my MP3 player while my kids are watching movies so I need jacks that are upfront and connected to the head unit via the CD Changer interface rather than using the AUX/DVD mode. Just not sure if that will work.

Thanks!
The adapter I ordered two days ago should be delivered today. I'll be installing it in an 03 EX-RES, and I understand there are no changes to the audio/video setup for 04. I'll test it with the Roady and my iPod, and let you know what I think, hopefully later this evening.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good stuff!

I may want to add a cd changer/mp3 server at some point, so this stuff is very educational (particularly with links to required parts, thanks SteveLuman).

It certainly is more involved than when I put an Alpine changer in my Acura Integra. The Acura factory head unit accepted an 8 pin DIN m-bus cable, so I just needed a cheap adapter that swapped the ground wire and one of the source wires. The $400 that I paid in 1995 was a much better deal than the $1200 that the dealer wanted!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
max_501 said:

Thanks!
I installed a Blitzsafe Aux In Converter today that I ordered here two days ago http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/blitzhonauxdmxv1.html (thanks to a link in another post by SteveLuman) and it really KICKS! I set it up for my XM Roady, but it is super with an iPod as well. Here's a pic of the iPod test before I stuffed the adapter behind the head unit and ran the wire out to the box under the center of the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
max_501 said:

Thanks!
Here's a pic of my iPod connected to a Blitzsafe Aux in Converter, with everything buttoned up. The foam pad set from wwong is great for keeping the iPod from sliding around.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jay, what is the "foam pad set from wwong?" You have a sweet setup. My 30G iPod is loaded with tunes, now all I need is a Pilot! (soon, soon...)

My problem with CD-changers (I have one in my Passat) is the same 6-discs are always in the cartridge. It's a hassle to take it out of the trunk, put all the CDs back in their cases, pick 6 new CDs, load them up.... So I listen to the same discs over and over and over until I can't stand it and switch to the radio. Yes, I've been made lazy by technology.

But my iPod gives me my entire CD collection (about 250+ CDs), plus music I buy from the iTunes Music Store, plus audio books I get from Audible, all on a tiny package that fits in my shirt pocket that I can listen to in my car or out of my car. No discs to pack and switch, no CDs full of MP3s to burn. Music without pain, the way it should be. Life with iPod is beautiful.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Laguna Sol said:
Jay, what is the "foam pad set from wwong?" ...snip
Another honda-pilot.org member, wwong, offers a number of great products for the Pilot, including foam pads that fit into the center console and rear activity tray, and 1. protect the surface of the console and tray, and 2. keep stuff from sliding around. See his post at http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5244 for more details. It's great stuff!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts