Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I just got a new used 2017 Pilot Elite and am just getting to know the car. A question for my fellow Pilot owners, do any of you have this blinking green light under your steering column (see picture)? It blinks steadily when the car is off and there is a button on the underside. I’m not sure if it’s a factory part or aftermarket and the used car dealership could not tell me what it is.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Definitely aftermarket. Not sure what it is. I'm always amazed by something like this. The person selling it said nothing to the dealership and the dealership didn't notice it and ask questions. It proves they don't go through cars when they buy them. Take it to a Honda dealership. The mechanic will figure it out

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Where did you buy the vehicle an how did you finance the vehicle? Did you buy it from a used car lot or from a Dealers used selection?

It could be a kill switch in case you miss a payment. In our area some of the used car lots use such a device. Miss a payment and they kill the vehicle.

Others use a kill switch that has a number pad on it. When you make your monthly payment they give you a code for the next 30 days that you input. If you miss a payment, it is easy for them to find the inoperable vehicle.

Either way, if it is a kill switch, don't mess with it. Doing so can disable the vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
98 Posts
When I was fishing for the right Honda Pilot for my family I remember going to a Honda dealership where part of their "Dealer added equipment Pro Package" is a shadow mark security system that they install to every car they sell. I asked what if I don't want it since it's an additional $1500 that I need to pay. They showed me what it is and that's exactly the thing I saw, a blinking equipment under the steering wheel and they said it's their standard to install it so there's really no way they can uninstall, all they can do is give me a discount.. I thought it was a ripoff so I walked away.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you buy the vehicle an how did you finance the vehicle? Did you buy it from a used car lot or from a Dealers used selection?

It could be a kill switch in case you miss a payment. In our area some of the used car lots use such a device. Miss a payment and they kill the vehicle.

Others use a kill switch that has a number pad on it. When you make your monthly payment they give you a code for the next 30 days that you input. If you miss a payment, it is easy for them to find the inoperable vehicle.

Either way, if it is a kill switch, don't mess with it. Doing so can disable the vehicle.
Very interesting. I got it at a Carmax and it was paid off. I’m guessing this may have been the doing of the previous owner.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely aftermarket. Not sure what it is. I'm always amazed by something like this. The person selling it said nothing to the dealership and the dealership didn't notice it and ask questions. It proves they don't go through cars when they buy them. Take it to a Honda dealership. The mechanic will figure it out
Thanks for validating since I don’t have another Pilot to compare with. It’s not giving me any problems but I will likely get it checked out when it goes in for service.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I just don't understand why anyone would put a security system on a vehicle that already comes equipped with a security system. Maybe I'm spoiled with where I live and work and drive, but this all seems like a huge waste of money to me.

OP, I don't know if I'd trust the dealer techs to "fix" this if you wanted it removed. I'd probably look more at a company that installs vehicle electronics, those guys are wizards and probably will recognize the brand and know what to do just by looking at it.

Reactions: Tanner

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just don't understand why anyone would put a security system on a vehicle that already comes equipped with a security system. Maybe I'm spoiled with where I live and work and drive, but this all seems like a huge waste of money to me.

OP, I don't know if I'd trust the dealer techs to "fix" this if you wanted it removed. I'd probably look more at a company that installs vehicle electronics, those guys are wizards and probably will recognize the brand and know what to do just by looking at it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a bestbuy nearby, I’ll see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts