Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About ten years ago I started mounting tiny convex mirrors to the lower inside corner of my rearview mirrors. The mirrors are very small and they only cover the part of the mirror that you would normally only see the side of your car in.

The result of adding the convex mirrors is that I have no blind spot on the right and left sides of the Pilot. You can get these at Wal-Mart for $1 but I put a link into the post so you can see what I'm talking about. They really work well!

Mirror Picture

·
Registered
186 Posts
ChuckW said:
About ten years ago I started mounting tiny convex mirrors to the lower inside corner of my rearview mirrors. The mirrors are very small and they only cover the part of the mirror that you would normally only see the side of your car in.

The result of adding the convex mirrors is that I have no blind spot on the right and left sides of the Pilot. You can get these at Wal-Mart for $1 but I put a link into the post so you can see what I'm talking about. They really work well!

Mirror Picture
ChuckW - totally agree did the same on my Jeep and now on the Pilot - a definite safety plus. :4:

bakerlar

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those tiny mirrors don't look like they would work very well but it's astonishing just how much more you can see when they are mounted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
How and where do you install them :rolleyes:
Picture can help :4:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are stick-on mirrors. You just peel the back off of the foam tape on the back of the mirror and stick it directly onto your existing rearview mirror. If the surface of the glass is clean and dry the foam tape will hold the tiny stick-on mirror for years with no problem.

I mounted mine to the lower-inside corner of the mirror. That part of the mirror doesn't normaly show you anything other than the sides of your Pilot but with these mirrors mounted your left and right blind spots will disappear. You will no longer have to glance over your shoulder when you are about to make a lane change.

When you mount them the only thing to watch out for is to make sure that you leave enough room for the glass mirror to move.

There are two versions of these mirrors. One has squared edges and the other is rounded. The rounded ones look good on the Pilot. You can find them at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Target-type stores usually for about a buck apiece. Both styles are 2.25" by 1.25"

Here's a picture I took a few minutes ago of my passenger side mirror. Driver side is the same way. And yes, my Pilot is rather dirty.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had convex mirrors just like the ones Chuck is talking about on my previous vehicle (a full size pickup) and they really are life-savers. I'll definitely add them to my Pilot, too.

The previous message, about adjusting the side mirrors, is interesting. I'm going to give it a try.

·
Registered
123 Posts
They look cute !!! Thanks chuck

·
Registered
136 Posts
ChuckW said:

Mirror Picture
here is info from your link, did you get these or just the little round ones from wal=mart

Unique wedge design adds 30% more vision than round convex. Great for all vehicles. Size: 2 3/4" x 3"

Availability: Usually ships the next business day.

Convex Wedge Mirror

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine came from Wal Mart for 97 cents but look identical to the one in the link I posted.

·
Registered
136 Posts
ChuckW said:
Mine came from Wal Mart for 97 cents but look identical to the one in the link I posted.
thanks for the info ; i guess yours are the rect. shape
byw what are "Tire Minders, EZ-Fill Gas Cap, Lots more"
from your sig. what else did you add ?
thanks,
bob:rolleyes:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, mine are the rounded type. That's my Pilot in the photo above.

"Lots more" means mostly odd stuff.

I'm building servo-operated foglights that will be mounted on the left and right of the front license plate. They will pan left and right up to 80 degrees so that I can spotlight things to the left and right of the Pilot. When I was in college (15+ years ago) I had a single servo-operated spotlight mounted on the front bumper of my Datsun that I used very heavily while delivering pizzas for Domino's. I don't deliver pizzas anymore but I sure miss the old robo-spotlights. The control buttons for the device will be mounted under the lip of the center console. Right now I'm looking for a cheap 4"-throw actuator.

I also have a roof rack I will be using this Spring to haul very large model rockets (6-8 feet long) to my club's launch site. It looks similar to this: Rocket Rack Mine is black and can hold three large rockets of up to 7" diameter. I'm waiting for warmer weather to finish painting it.

I have also added automatic LED lighting that comes on when the center console is opened. There's a fire extinguisher on a bracket in the back, cell phone mount/recharge station up front, and a rechargable flashlight that is plugged into one of the power outlets. I also have a set of Kleen Wheels brake dust masks on order.

In a non-vehicle Pilot add on I have rigged a hot pink fishing cork to hang from my garage ceiling right where the steering wheel is when the Pilot is parked at the proper spot in the garage. All I do is drive into the garage and line up on the pink thing hanging from the roof. Once the fishing lure touches the windshield above the steering wheel I know I have the Pilot in the right spot. A lot of people do this with a tennis ball on a string but in my garage the whole thing retracts when the garage door closes. It only cost me about fifty cents to build.

More stuff will be going in as I have time and money to do it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
chuckw-
Nope, mine are the rounded type. That's my Pilot in the photo above

the ones above look like rectangles with rounded edges---is that the kind you mean?//
also what are "Tire Minders, and EZ-Fill Gas Cap??
can you provide more info on the lighted console???
thanks again,
regards,
bob (sandman):18:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oops, sorry. I understand what you mean now. Yes, mine are the rectangular type but it's a rectangle with curved edges. There is also a rectangle type out there with squared-off edges. Thus, my confusion. :rolleyes:

Tire Minders are valve stem caps that keep track of how much air is in your tires. If the cap is green you're OK, yellow you're low, and red you're really low. Here's a link: Tire Minder

The EZ-Fill gas cap, also known as Perma Cap, allows you to fuel your car without removing the cap. The pump tube goes right through the cap. Here's a link: Gas Cap

·
Registered
136 Posts
LED console lights

ChuckW wrote:

"I have also added automatic LED lighting that comes on when the center console is opened"

Can you give us some more good info on this. Maybe some pics too.
You are adding some good posts to this site. Keep up the good work
Bob:awais:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just follow the Console Light link in my sig line. Looks like a couple of people have already done what I did.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Blind Spots

Back to blind spots, if I may....

There is absolutely NO need to buy little convex mirrors - the only reason to add them is if your side mirrors are set incorrectly.

See Tonto's post on page 1. His link doesn't work - TRY THIS:

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2002/November/07.html

Abridged from the www.cartalk.com web site:

The idea is this - why does everyone set their side mirrors so that 1/2 of the mirror shows the side of your car?? The side of your car doesn't move, it's always right where Honda put it and you are in no danger of bumping into it.

Set your side mirrors so that you can see all of the lane next to you, which means pointing them out much further than you are used to.......but believe me, the results are AMAZING.

It is very easy to set the mirrors so that there are NO blind spots. Set correctly, ALL of the car that is coming up in one of the adjacent lanes is ALWAYS COMPLETELY (yes, the entire car) visible in either your rear-view or side mirror.

Follow the instructions on the link above and you will not be sorry.

Trust me - before adding cheezy little dime store items to your $30K car TRY THIS.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I agree with idloveaguinness. I have no blind spots with properly set mirrors, but it does take some getting used to if you were previously looking at the sides of your vehicle.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts