Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just picked up our new Pilot this weekend and there were 4 black rubber plugs packed with the owners manual. The dealer said to throw them away but I doubt Honda would include them for no reason. Does anyone know what these are for?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Another lying dealer

Do a search for "Rubber Plugs" and you will find out all about them.

The Pre Delivery Inspection instructions from Honda tells the dealer EXACTLY what to do with them and lots of other stuff.

If I were you, I would ask to see a copy of the PDI, and then ask them to re-check EVERYTHING else, since they obviously did not read it the fist time.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yes, I will take credit for solving the mystery. They are for the tie downs on the frame. They are in the PDI. Search for Rubber Plugs and you will see the answer with the PDI and pictures.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It's nice to know the dealers don't read the PDI instructions:

" ...we've done this so many times we don't need someone from the factory telling us how to prep a car..."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you for your quick reply. I appreciate the link to the other thread with the downloadable PDI document. Looks like I'll be taking a look at the underside of my Pilot this evening!

Take care,
Mike

·
Registered
991 Posts
They did mine at the dealer automatically.... What the heck is wrong with those guys who told you to throw them away??

they need a :twak:

·
Registered
57 Posts
You'd better check the top of the steering column to make sure the shift interlock cover is in place- this cover also comes in the bag with the 4 rubber plugs and are supposed to be installed as part of the PDI process.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Commuter said:
You'd better check the top of the steering column to make sure the shift interlock cover is in place- this cover also comes in the bag with the 4 rubber plugs and are supposed to be installed as part of the PDI process.
Was all this stuff in your glove box? Or did you catch them not installing it?

thanks
rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

No, everything was in the packet that I went over with the salesperson. She put the cover over the shift interlock release. Tire pressure, oil level, etc. were all fine. I was even able to intercept the front license bracket before installation, as PA doesn't issue front plates and I didn't want a dealer advertisement on the front of the car. Hopefully the four plugs are the only problem with the PDI.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
289 Posts
Black plugs.

They are probably the inserts from the shipping tie downs under the Pilot. If you look under the vehicle on the frame just in front of the back wheels on the inside of the frame you should see two holes on each side. This is where the vehicle is tied down to the car carrier during shipping. Maybe.:confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Reply to GoPilot

The shift interlock cover was missing when I took delivery. Actually I didn't notice this as an issue until I looked at the Honda PDI procedure posted on this site- did I say how great this site is?

I wonder how many people took delivery of their Pilots and not knowing about missing covers and plugs.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: Black plugs.

copilot said:
They are probably the inserts from the shipping tie downs under the Pilot. If you look under the vehicle on the frame just in front of the back wheels on the inside of the frame you should see two holes on each side. This is where the vehicle is tied down to the car carrier during shipping. Maybe.:confused:

Do you mean one behind each wheel?

Also, what column shift cover thingy am I looking for?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Re: Re: Black plugs.

brooklynpilot said:

Do you mean one behind each wheel?

Also, what column shift cover thingy am I looking for?
There should be two holes on each side in front of the rear tires. Look at the pictures above. The cover for the column shifter is right behind the steering wheel where the key can fit to unlock the shifter in case of loss of power/towing.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I finally got around to installing the 4 rubber plugs. I didn't find the cover for the column shifter.

Is it stored away somewhere in the truck (the plugs were in the glove compartment)?

Does it matter if the hole remains opened?

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As a previous poster said, it is part of the Pre-delivery inspection which dealers are suppose to take care of upond receipt of your vehicle. Go back to the dealer and ask them to give you a shift cover and ask them why THEY didn't put the plugs in either...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts