Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

What color?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a silver 08 Pilot, and have a set of Acura MDX wheels for it. Going to get them powder coated, and am having a very hard time deciding between gloss black, black chrome, or dark grey metallic. First pic is what they look like originally, second pic is what black looks like. If I do the dark grey, I'm also thinking of doing the bottom of the body and wheel wells grey as well. Sort of follow the body lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
I have a silver 08 Pilot, and have a set of Acura MDX wheels for it. Going to get them powder coated, and am having a very hard time deciding between gloss black, black chrome, or dark grey metallic. First pic is what they look like originally, second pic is what black looks like. If I do the dark grey, I'm also thinking of doing the bottom of the body and wheel wells grey as well. Sort of follow the body lines.
I'm not for the black police vehicle look. Chrome silver IMO.

Reactions: j35_fanatic

·
Administrator
15,666 Posts
Theres a Silver first gen with those MDX wheels on. Stock the wheels look dull....

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going with gloss black. He has that color in stock. Not worth paying another $100 for another color. He said about $450 to do the job. 450 for the powder coat, 600 for tires, 125 for TPMS sensors, 60 for center caps, and 250 for the rims. Almost $1500. Hmm, maybe I should have just left well enough alone and stuck with the stock 16".

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Going with gloss black. He has that color in stock. Not worth paying another $100 for another color. He said about $450 to do the job. 450 for the powder coat, 600 for tires, 125 for TPMS sensors, 60 for center caps, and 250 for the rims. Almost $1500. Hmm, maybe I should have just left well enough alone and stuck with the stock 16".
I was about to vote but then I saw this. Now I'd go for the option in your last sentence, especially given your user name. :)

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Plugged in some data onto tire rack to see what is available at around $160 or less. The first thing that popped up was ENKEI 17" wheels that come with center caps and lugs for $600 complete. Something to think about before powder coating old/used wheels.....

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Plugged in some data onto tire rack to see what is available at around $160 or less. The first thing that popped up was ENKEI 17" wheels that come with center caps and lugs for $600 complete. Something to think about before powder coating old/used wheels.....
Then you wouldn't have to pay for a full size spare tire, plus 3 left over.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Then you wouldn't have to pay for a full size spare tire, plus 3 left over.
That's my plan when I order my 17" wheels mounted+balanced with Sumitomo AT tires shipped to my residence. One of the OEM 16" wheels will be the good spare tire with 3 left over

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Just a quick pick but not finalized on wheel choice or tire size or specials or coupons etc
8B16E111-57D3-4A75-AA3B-B03E94EA6ED5.png

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why do I not see those? I get 5 rims by Enkei, and those are not on the list. Anyway, here's my thoughts. I already have 5 MDX rims. Rims don't go bad, they are still perfectly functional. Ugly, but functional. I like the style, and I know they will have the load rating. None of this was in my original. My original plan was to put in a motor, and kick this thing to the curb. Now, 6k later I have a vehicle that I really like and will be with us for a long time to come.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I already have 5 MDX rims. Rims don't go bad, they are still perfectly functional. Ugly, but functional. I like the style, and I know they will have the load rating
Check out this video for some inspiration. Buying or paying out of the wazoo for powder coating goes against your Piloteer Avatar name

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't trust paint to last very long. Especially when I have to go to NY during the winter. Which is the whole reason for keeping the Pilot. Wife wants the AWD. Still could be dark grey, I will look at his available colors and decide then.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well then, that turned out not like I planned. He does not have any color I liked in stock. I"m not paying an extra hundred so he can do that. So he is blasting them, and I will paint them. Not what i wanted, but it will have to do. I guess by doing this, if I don't like the color, I can always change it.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Well then, that turned out not like I planned. He does not have any color I liked in stock. I"m not paying an extra hundred so he can do that. So he is blasting them, and I will paint them. Not what i wanted, but it will have to do. I guess by doing this, if I don't like the color, I can always change it.
I think if you follow the Chris Fix video to refinish the wheels they will turn out fine. Nice budget way to do it and you can touch them up as needed.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I think if you follow the Chris Fix video to refinish the wheels they will turn out fine. Nice budget way to do it and you can touch them up as needed.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Then just add the season-appropriate air once you've put the tires on. (Gotta say, there's something vaguely squirrelly about that Chris Fix guy. Can't quite put my finger on it...) :)

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the new center caps in today. Wife's car needs tires, so I am going to give her my TPMS sensors, and I'll order another set for the Pilot. Got her Michelin Cross Climates, should be good for a while. The rims are getting blasted, and I thought I was going to get the quote tonight. Guess not.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts