Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought there was a place on the MDX Forum that discusses dressings to put on the black exterior trim to keep looking a nice deep black. Similar to what we try to accomplish with the tire dressings; but I cannot find it even with the search function. I'm probably just "search illiterate". Can anyone give recommendations for what, if anything, you use on the black exterior trim. Do you use the same on the black metal as the black plastic? Thanks for your help. :8:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Search for Z A I N O.

www.zainobros.com

I hear it's the best for dark color cars. They should have something for the trim as well.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Zaino but

I can only find tire treatment "stuff". I have not seen on their website or heard of any material they have to treat other black parts of the trim. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had been using a product called 'Black Again', which I thought did a great job. However, I have heard that the product no longer exists. I haven't actually researched this, but you may want to try that.

Scott

·
Registered
191 Posts
FYI - I just did a little Internet research on the 'Black Again' product. Check out the website below:

http://www.properautocare.com/blackagain.html

Looks like it is being produced again! :D

I highly recommend that you at least try this product. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Scott

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant, and I really think you would be pleased with this product if you give it a try. Most of the time your local boat dealers keep it in stock. It makes the black plastic and rubber/vinyl blacker with a matte finish, doesn't darken the metal so much but I'm not sure what would...

link: 303 products

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
casdas

thanks. I will check it out.:29:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer

Trim Detailer uses new technology to instantly restore color and richness to faded and discolored trim and molding...but the amazing part is how Trim Detailer protects the surface so well that the "like new" appearance lasts for weeks...not days. Trim Detailer also removes unwanted contaminants and wax residue. Use on porous and non-porous black surfaces like plastic bumpers and trim, moldings, air vents, window trim and window blades and arms.

G-10810 ....................10 oz $2.99

Readily available at your local auto store. I just picked up a bottle on Saturday, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll let you know the results...

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
I bought some stuff at Target called Mother's Back to Black. Initially, I bought it to try to make my old car look good so I could sell it. It really brought back the black color around the glass and near the ground (I did not care for the car in the way I plan to for the Pilot, and the black was really faded).

Obviously, I am no pro at detailing products, but this one worked well for me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all....

for your suggestions. I would have responded sooner; but been on the road since the 8th. At this point it looks like I will try the 303 Protectant or the Mequires Trim Detailer. Probably whichever one I can find the easiest. With all the traveling time does become an issue.:p

·
Registered
509 Posts
Re: Thanks all....

copilot said:
for your suggestions. I would have responded sooner; but been on the road since the 8th. At this point it looks like I will try the 303 Protectant or the Mequires Trim Detailer. Probably whichever one I can find the easiest. With all the traveling time does become an issue.:p
Hey Copilot,

Finally got the chance to try out the Meguiar's trim detailer on the Accord this weekend, and was very, very pleased with the results.

I used it on the black rain gutters on the roof, the splash guards, the wheel well trim, and the black plastic molding along the windows, and between the front and rear side windows. You can also use it on the rubber molding around the doors, so I'm going to give that a try next weekend. I think I'll also use it on the rubber around my sunroof.

It was very easy to apply. I found that it took very little product to cover the areas. Seemed like I only used a couple of drops on the trim pieces at most, and was able to do a bunch of them with the excess on the rag. Of course, I used just a drop or two more on the splash guards. I simply applied it to the area, and when I was done covering the areas, I went back with a separate rag and quickly buffed each area dry. Really took only a coule of minutes, and the results were very noticeable. Brought them back to a fresh looking black, and also removed any wax residue. I think the most noticeable area was the large black trim at the pillar between the sides windows. I should have treated one side, and left the other untreated, so you could see the difference.

Now, we'll have to see how long it lasts, and I'm especially interested how it will take to fingerprints, especially in that pillar area between the two side doors. We're always getting lots of fingerprints in that area.

Based on how much product I used, I think I'll be going into the ground before this bottle hits the trash can. What a bargain for only $2.99. I found it at Pep Boys, but I've also seen it around at other places.

·
Registered
310 Posts
SoapPlant,

Please let us know how long it lasts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks SoapPlant

I need to go to the Auto Parts store to get a torque wrench so I can put on the Free Wheel Locks I got from Tim when I bought the Cargo Mat and All weather mats. I'll see if they have some of this trim detailer too. Thanks for the update:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts