Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this about ayear ago and no one could answer it. Had a lot of guesses but nothing firm.
What are all the black dots around the windshield for? they don't keep out sun and they must have a purpose.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
4603pba said:
I posted this about ayear ago and no one could answer it. Had a lot of guesses but nothing firm.
What are all the black dots around the windshield for? they don't keep out sun and they must have a purpose.
AFAIK, some are there to cut down on the sun, but the ones that are at the very edge are to hide the rubber seal on the body side of the glass. Oftentimes is goes from dots to solid along the edge and it is only visible from outside the vehicle.

:)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I googled it and found this:

http://www.wonderquest.com/windshield-dots.htm

Windshield glass contains a black enamel band (called the frit) around the periphery that is baked into the glass. This black band includes a border of dots. See figure. The band has an etched surface to enable adhesive to bond to the glass, says a sales manager at Able Auto Glass. When car manufacturers install the windshield, they bond the windshield to the vehicle with adhesive placed on the etched part of the black enamel glass area (inside surface). The outside of the enamel band shades the adhesive from the Sun and protects it from ultraviolet radiation. The band also serves a cosmetic purpose by covering up the adhesive and gives the windshield edge "a more finished look."

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
jay said:
I googled it and found this:

http://www.wonderquest.com/windshield-dots.htm

Windshield glass contains a black enamel band (called the frit) around the periphery that is baked into the glass. This black band includes a border of dots. See figure. The band has an etched surface to enable adhesive to bond to the glass, says a sales manager at Able Auto Glass. When car manufacturers install the windshield, they bond the windshield to the vehicle with adhesive placed on the etched part of the black enamel glass area (inside surface). The outside of the enamel band shades the adhesive from the Sun and protects it from ultraviolet radiation. The band also serves a cosmetic purpose by covering up the adhesive and gives the windshield edge "a more finished look."
Hey, that sounds a lot more sophisticated than what I said above!!!!

:) :) :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess Pilot owners are more knowledgeable now than they were a year ago.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
4603pba said:

Thanks
I google a lot of stuff and get some pretty good explanations. But the best is googling "Weapons of Mass Destruction" and hitting the "I feel lucky" button that someone pointed out a while back.

·
Registered
964 Posts
jay said:

I google a lot of stuff and get some pretty good explanations. But the best is googling "Weapons of Mass Destruction" and hitting the "I feel lucky" button that someone pointed out a while back.
Here's another one to try. Not quite as clever as the one mentioned above but still kind of funny. Google for "French Military Victories" and click the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
4603pba said:

Thanks

That or we are getting better at BSing our way through the "tough" questions!!!

:awais: :awais:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts