Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day my tires showed low pressure. So I brought all four up to 32lbs using my portable 12V air compressor. Took about 20 minutes to get all tires topped off. When I got in the car to start it, it would not. Got odd light flashing on the dash and clicking. Jumped the car and drove it around for 45 minutes to recharge the battery. Later I read in the manual that if you run anything on the 12V outlets to have the car running, which I did not. The next morning it was 32 degrees in my garage and the car started just fine. Last night went on an errand and car started fine at home but when I went to go back home the car would not start. This morning when I got ready to leave to go to a auto shop the starter turned very briefly and stopped and then I got all the blinking lights on the dash and the clicking sound, but after about 4 seconds the car did start. Went to the auto shop and they ran diagnostic tests on the battery, starter and alternator. All tested very good. Now I don't know how to proceed except to take it to a Honda dealer tomorrow and get a second opinion. Does anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
If this is the original/factory battery, then replace it.
Otherwise, use a battery maintainer/trickle charger to recharge the battery.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Along with what @xGS said, get a new battery anyway if it's the original. I'd add to check your terminal conections if the battery is a new aftermarket. Some batteries do not allow the post to come through the lid enough and the terminals could be loose. If loose, I recommend battery post shims.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the car used. Don't know of it is the original battery. The battery is showing fully charged. Tested and then put under load by using lights, radio, etc. Still tested good.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Along with what @xGS said, get a new battery anyway if it's the original. I'd add to check your terminal conections if the battery is a new aftermarket. Some batteries do not allow the post to come through the lid enough and the terminals could be loose. If loose, I recommend battery post shims.
View attachment 142624
Auto shop checked and cleaned the battery terminals.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way what battery did they put in the 2016's? I can check that way to see if it is likely the original.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I bought the car used. Don't know of it is the original battery. The battery is showing fully charged. Tested and then put under load by using lights, radio, etc. Still tested good.
If it's indeed the factory battery, it won't be ok. It's more likely to have been changed. In that case, check for loose connections.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's indeed the factory battery, it won't be ok. It's more likely to have been changed. In that case, check for loose connections.
Not sure what you mean "it won't be OK"? If it was tested and showed good, what are you saying?

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Not sure what you mean "it won't be OK"? If it was tested and showed good, what are you saying?
Factory batteries are not known to be very resilient with age. In most cases they don't make 3 years. It's likely been replaced.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I bought the car used. Don't know of it is the original battery.
If your '16 EX is like my '16 EX, there is a cover on top of the battery. That cover has to be removed for you to see brand name on the battery if it has been replaced. If it is still the factory battery, you might see some generic label like the pic that I posted. In my case it actually states in small print on the battery that it was made for Honda, and shows the Honda battery part number. Mine was made by EPM, short for East Penn Manufacturing.

IMG_2159.JPG

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
If your '16 EX is like my '16 EX, there is a cover on top of the battery. That cover has to be removed for you to see brand name on the battery if it has been replaced. If it is still the factory battery, you might see some generic label like the pic that I posted. In my case it actually states in small print on the battery that it was made for Honda, and shows the Honda battery part number. Mine was made by EPM, short for East Penn Manufacturing.

View attachment 142626
What? Honda Batteries are made by East Penn?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,267 Posts
I would agree it should be replaced at this point, but also check for loose, frayed or corroding cables, including grounding cables.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts